Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2011, 09:54   #121
Super Moderator

Re: Untidy Hyndburn - Please Post Your Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
if thats the case kate, its like yeh cant use a mobile whilst driving,ruddy pointless, the law enforces sod all these days, unless its a soft target, gotta make the figures look good.
Well, they enforce it very stringently in downtown Manchester. Any sign of a can or bottle being supped in Piccadilly or Market St, and they're down on 'em like a ton of bricks. So if this is in place, the question is, why aren't the cops enforcing it in Accy?
Old 29-06-2011, 10:20   #122
Resting in Peace

Dunno. There are reports that crimes such as assaults, glassings had been reduced by 50% due to this ban. Was imposed to stop revellers walking around from pub to pub with glasses in their hands, so maybe they concentrate on the night time drinkers rather than day time ? Still, we don't know how many people have been approached by the police during the day to 'abstain' do we.

Re. mobile 'phones, Cashy .... there are well over 100,000 fixed penalty notices imposed every year for this offence in England and Wales. Although, figures are showing that it is not having any effect on a large number of drivers who risk flouting this law, and the police are becoming more and more stretched, I guess, as cuts bite.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 10:23   #123
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

100,000 may seem a lot kate, but its sod all when yeh consider how many motorists are on the road "Daily"? its a safe bet to me there are more than that breaking the Law daily in G.B.
Old 29-06-2011, 10:28   #124
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
100,000 may seem a lot kate, but its sod all when yeh consider how many motorists are on the road "Daily"? its a safe bet to me there are more than that breaking the Law daily in G.B.
Agree, Cashy, we see it all the time, even on a short journey. Lorry drivers are the worst offenders sadly. If they went up your backside on the motorway, you wouldn't stand a chance.
Old 29-06-2011, 10:30   #125
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I thought there was one in force already, Wynonie, since 2002 ?
Can't say I've seen any signs up. Gonna have to walk round with my eyes open now
Old 29-06-2011, 10:40   #126
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Can't say I've seen any signs up. Gonna have to walk round with my eyes open now
Can't say that I have taken much notice either ... know for definite there is one just before the viaduct down Milnshaw Lane and, I think, one on Church Street ? Broadway was part of the scheme, so there ought to be one there.
Old 29-06-2011, 12:29   #127
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Have a look as you drive towards town on Dunk Way, I am sure there is one on there.

Noticed one on the park gate the other day as well. If I walk through that gate I will take a photo
Old 29-06-2011, 17:16   #128
Senior Member+

Good thred, could it be worth splitting into two threds, one for pictures and locations the other for discussion?

I have dealt with The Council many times regarding street waste as right outside my front door is a wind trap so I get all the streets rubbish. The phone staff have always been very police and helpfull and usually after a complait they do send a sweeper to sort very quick.

However the problem is weekly,(Bin days seem the worst) I offered and have done in the past to pick it up myself, but with bins collected every two weeks I dont have the room and as we are not allowed to leave extra bags out and I was refused a bigger bin I will now just leave it and complain/report.

As for the drinking signs, Im 99% sure there where loads about, one on the bottom avenue parade springs to mind, I checked today and couldnt see one? Have they been taken down. (One for the Councellers to check).

The problem is IIRC the police can only request that you dont drink not order and a request can be refused. (bylaw)?

Alcohol Policy UK: Controlled Drinking Zones

Quote from the Link.

Quote:
According to the LGU, a spokesman for the Department for Communities & Local Government has since stated a ban would not be legal:

“Government legislation has already given councils, and the police, a range of powers to control drinking behaviour in their communities and it is taking steps to strengthen them further,” he said. “As such councils would not need to, or be able, to pursue a byelaw in this instance as they are specifically for local issues not covered by national legislation.”
Old 29-06-2011, 18:15   #129
Senior Member+

Looking for somewhere to park near the Antley Dental practice I spotted these two grot spots. The old mattress is in the alley off China street behind the chippy and the rubbish near a car is on China street. Not a pleasant sight just before you go to sit in a dentist chair.

Old 29-06-2011, 18:49   #130
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Looking for somewhere to park near the Antley Dental practice I spotted these two grot spots. The old mattress is in the alley off China street behind the chippy and the rubbish near a car is on China street. Not a pleasant sight just before you go to sit in a dentist chair.

Well it ain't all bad Gremlin you could have had a lie down and a snack before going in mate
Old 29-06-2011, 19:04   #131
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
As for the drinking signs, Im 99% sure there where loads about, one on the bottom avenue parade springs to mind, I checked today and couldnt see one? Have they been taken down. (One for the Councellers to check).

Alcohol Policy UK: Controlled Drinking Zones

Quote from the Link.
If you look on street view, Mr D, there was one at the bottom of Avenue Parade. Looks like they have moved the boundaries.

One at the bottom of Burnley Road too. Mind you, street view is not showing the one on Milnshaw Lane which I know is there now, and fairly recent I think.

They threaten anyone not complying with police instructions a fine of £ 500 !
Old 29-06-2011, 19:09   #132
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well it ain't all bad Gremlin you could have had a lie down and a snack before going in mate
I never thought of that jaysay, it may be the dentist has left the bed and grub there just to help relax his patients, I was unlucky in that someone beat me to the grub.
Old 29-06-2011, 20:23   #133
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
If you look on street view, Mr D, there was one at the bottom of Avenue Parade. Looks like they have moved the boundaries.

One at the bottom of Burnley Road too. Mind you, street view is not showing the one on Milnshaw Lane which I know is there now, and fairly recent I think.

They threaten anyone not complying with police instructions a fine of £ 500 !
mancheter road accrington - Google Maps

There is one here, and its there today, cant see who its really aimed at though, to me it seems it is aimed at the drivers coming into town.

Threaten is about as far as it would go. There is no law against drinking in public places. (if your in the know).
Old 29-06-2011, 21:38   #134

I had an idea a few years ago which i sent to the councils cleansing dept, if say every household in the borough spent a couple of minutes each day just picking up what litter is outside their home, the whole borough would be so much cleaner, its a good idea but i know in practice not everyone would or could do it, i just often wonder why some people dont take pride in the are they live in.
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 23:28   #135
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob249 View Post
I had an idea a few years ago which i sent to the councils cleansing dept, if say every household in the borough spent a couple of minutes each day just picking up what litter is outside their home, the whole borough would be so much cleaner, its a good idea but i know in practice not everyone would or could do it, i just often wonder why some people dont take pride in the are they live in.
Myself, and all my neighbours do this.

Happily, and quite easily.

None of us have found the litter wouldn't fit into our bins.

Nor have we bothered to phone the council, for them to arrange a H.B.C. employee to come and remove it.

Primaily because we can easily do it ourselves, but also because by the time they got here the wind could have blown it elsewhere, making it someone else's problem.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..