Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2011, 14:52   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Untidy Hyndburn - Please Post Your Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Why not meet on neutral ground. Grab a couple of cans and sit on the bench outside the Market Hall with the 'in-crowd'
Now that would be n eye-opener fer some.
Old 28-06-2011, 15:29   #62
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Why not meet on neutral ground. Grab a couple of cans and sit on the bench outside the Market Hall with the 'in-crowd'
How vulgar, Ken drinks real ale not tinned muck
Old 28-06-2011, 15:30   #63
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
A beer, eh? Got any real ale over in Ossy?
I don't drink often but I am sure somewhere must do. We could pop in the Rose & Crown and ask Peter
Old 28-06-2011, 15:32   #64
Resting in Peace

It must be very frustrating for the people who work in the Environmental Department to not have enough budget to clear up all the grot spots in Hyndburn. Sure they would love to give us a litter free town. Bet even when they are off duty, their eyes are scanning the streets in despair of their predicament.

It's also difficult to treat people's thinking on this too .. lots of campaigns have been run to try and educate residents to take home their litter, put in bin, etc., but it still happens. I think lots has been done on litter picking exercises by voluntary groups too hasn't there ?

The majority of adults and children have learned to be responsible about this .. only takes around 10% (say) to 'trash' our environment.

Yes, is fine to send your pictures into HBC, but inundation with these would only lead to saturation.

Noticed a letter in the Observer from one frustrated tax payer complaining about an old foul, smelling, soaking wet sofa covered in grime and slime and adorned with litter at the bottom of the station ramp on Paxton Street. He has contacted the department on several occasions, and still there, however, sure his complaint has not gone unnoticed .. maybe it is on Railway land, etc., and the council have contacted them or summat ?

Like this from the HBC site:

'Did you know!
  • Each day, the hand sweepers collect enough litter and rubbish to fill around 100 refuse sacks.
  • Each month, the mechanical sweepers pick up around 100 tonnes of litter and debris.'
No, I didn't know that.

It's just the money, folks, and we would not be keen on paying more Council Tax, now would we.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 15:42   #65
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yes, is fine to send your pictures into HBC, but inundation with these would only lead to saturation.
I hope it would make them see the true picture - 2 ways of looking at everything I suppose Kate.

Quote:
'Did you know!
  • Each day, the hand sweepers collect enough litter and rubbish to fill around 100 refuse sacks.
  • Each month, the mechanical sweepers pick up around 100 tonnes of litter and debris.'
No, I didn't know that.
Did you know that some of the paths I pictured in parks could easily be swept using one of the small road sweepers - why are they not, its more efficient than a broom? I have been asking for years why the machine does not drive around the park when in the area.

Quote:
It's just the money, folks, and we would not be keen on paying more Council Tax, now would we.
I have posted before that I don't agree with a council tax freeze. The councils costs are going up each year by inflation so in effect their budget is going down - I believe its a stupid idea by the government.
Old 28-06-2011, 15:45   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have posted before that I don't agree with a council tax freeze. The councils costs are going up each year by inflation so in effect their budget is going down - I believe its a stupid idea by the government.
Or maybe as Ken points out, it does not need to go up but spent more wisely
Old 28-06-2011, 15:57   #67
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
There is simply no money to give away, every penny needs to be justified from now on.
What about the daily silver platters of butties?

Our the new council still having Hurn's in to do the treats?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 16:02   #68
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Or maybe as Ken points out, it does not need to go up but spent more wisely
I think both are needed.

Take a walk around Milnshaw Park, it needs £100,000's to bring it up to an acceptable standard as do many of our parks. Some of the money needed is very hard to find from external funders as they class a lot of the work needed as the councils statutory duty to maintain.

Community groups can not do it all on there own either. Support is needed from officers and in Hyndburn we are very lucky to have a excellent parks and open spaces department. I wont name names publicly but if we could clone them we would be able to bring even more money into the borough.
Old 28-06-2011, 16:04   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

We're down to just a brew now G.Not even a biscuit.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 16:06   #70
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:

When I popped in for a quick meeting and to get some papers signed I was fed choccy hobnobs bought by the Councillor that morning.
Old 28-06-2011, 16:18   #71
Give, give, give member

As for the council being inundated, if everyone reports grot spots, I think they'll just get on with it, and cope.

As a regular reporter of such filth, they've always been very helpful, professional, and efficent in getting it removed. Although it always makes me laugh when they ask whose rubbish it is.

If I knew that I'd arrange for it to be posted, piece by piece, through their letterbox.

We had a different route today, from the norm. So I didn't see the alley off Dutton Street. If it's an eye-sore next Tuesday I won't photograph it, I'll just contact the person at the council who'll ensure it's made tidier.

I also agree with Katex. People, not just children, need to be taught that dumping rubbish, or litter, isn't acceptable.

We need to take some responsibility, and pride in our environment.

Having a free service in Hyndburn, who'll come and collect unwanted household goods, means there really is no excuse for dumping things like sofas hither, and thither.

Take a leaf out of my mum's book. The next time you see someone carelessly drop litter in our town, shout 'Litter lout!' at them, and tell them to please pick it up, and dispose of it properly.

No one's refused to oblige...so far. Large, or small.

Old 28-06-2011, 16:21   #72
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
When I popped in for a quick meeting and to get some papers signed I was fed choccy hobnobs bought by the Councillor that morning.
How galling.

This is like the dark times, after the fall of the Roman Empire.

Old 28-06-2011, 16:23   #73
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
We're down to just a brew now G.Not even a biscuit.
Budget tea and coffee I hope.

Not the more expensive Free Trade stuff, that was consumed before, when money was no object.

Old 28-06-2011, 16:33   #74
Senior Member+

Quote:
How galling.

This is like the dark times, after the fall of the Roman Empire.

Did the Romans used to have free sandwiches on the ratepayers as well.No wonder they disappeared from history.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 16:33   #75
God Member

Milnshaw park has needed money spending on it for many years .As things were taken away or demolished they never got replaced and the park has always been neglected in favor of other parks such as rhyddings park and oak hill park but hopefully now we have a new regime the favoritism will stop and money will be diverted to the more needy areas.

Milnshaw park has come up on here many times before but never got much demand for action until now when money is short and a huge debt left by the previous lot which will make taking action a lot harder.

if there is a separate budget for parks i think bare minimum should be allocated to the favored parks to keep them tidy and more given to the run down parks so they can catch up all be it slowly due to the huge amount of work and expense that will be required due to many years of neglect.

As for grot spots harsher fines for people who tip rubbish would help pay for more environment officers and to be quite blunt if people haven't got enough self respect to keep their patch tidy then they will only make a mess again when its been cleared up for them.In many cases it only takes a phone call and rubbish will be taken away but even that is too much for some people.

I will say that the council could be a little less picky about what they will take away.I used old suitcases to put rubbish in as they were more sturdy than a box and was told they had to be empty yet these are only going to landfill so whats the big fuss ?

Perhaps if the collection rules wernt so fussy less people would fly tip.

just a thought

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..