Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011, 14:18   #151
Common Sense Member

Re: Untidy Hyndburn - Please Post Your Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well if I remember rightly the pink papers were all with reference to peoples financial matters, I'm not talking councillors, but council staff and members of the general public. I can remember when I attended council meeting on a regular basis in the public gallery, when issues covered on pink papers were being discussed (usually at the end of meetings) the general public were asked to leave. As for the FIA I wasn't aware that peoples personal finances could be revealed under this act, ie financial details of people held by HBC, which I'm sure is protected under data protection act and not for open consumption
The issue in question also concerned legal advice so part of the document came in pink. The Head of Legal Services knows what she is doing and I am more mindful of her sage advice than political bitching from the opposition.

There is always a very good reason for anything being on pink paper but it doesn't happen very often.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-07-2011, 14:24   #152
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The issue in question also concerned legal advice so part of the document came in pink. The Head of Legal Services knows what she is doing and I am more mindful of her sage advice than political bitching from the opposition.

There is always a very good reason for anything being on pink paper but it doesn't happen very often.
Yes Ken I forgot about legal issues, mind you it is ten years since I took any active part in the local political scene and one does tend to for get, I take it Jane Ellis is still the legal eagle in Scaitcliffe house, and would think these matters would be in very safe hands with her
Old 02-07-2011, 14:32   #153
Common Sense Member

One of Kenweb's regular contributors has seemingly made a personal crusade out of cleaning up the borough, for which they should be applauded naturally, but if people are determined to bombard the council with 20 or so e-mails or phonecalls a day pointing out grotspots there are a few things to bear in mind.

Firstly, the council is not psychic. A brief description of where a photograph is depicting a grotspot is a fairly basic necessity, for example:

'To whom it may concern, there is a sofa dumped in the alleyway between Smith Street and Jones Street, Accrington. It is situated behind the back gate of number 54 Jones Street. Please could someone arrange to have it removed?'

Secondly, the bin men will clear the alleyways of most items of rubbish which have been dumped when they come for the general refuse collection. It is not necessary to report smaller items such as general litter or black bin liners because they will automatically be cleared from back alleyways. If items such as these are reported then officers are duty bound to inspect the site and it takes up many valuable man hours which the council cannot realistically afford so it is ultimately not helpful.

Any flytipping should be described reasonably to determine whether any special protective wear is needed by the cleansing team, for example:

'To whom it may concern, there is an instance of flytipping behind 54 Jones Street in Accrington. The rubbish consists of some builders' rubble, paint tins and smashed glass.'

By all means use the Enquiries service and as a council we welcome residents pointing out such things but there is a helpful way and an unhelpful way of reporting grotspots. Regrettably, the barrage of communications from one member over the past few days are verging on the uphelpful purely because of the way they have been reported.

The Enquiries line is 01254 388111 and the email address is [email protected]

Old 02-07-2011, 14:34   #154
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Yes Ken I forgot about legal issues, mind you it is ten years since I took any active part in the local political scene and one does tend to for get, I take it Jane Ellis is still the legal eagle in Scaitcliffe house, and would think these matters would be in very safe hands with her
It is, and when it comes to legal matters I trust her judgement implicitly.

Old 02-07-2011, 22:03   #155
Super Moderator

Ken has kindly agreed to ask a question for me, so I would suggest that anyone else who has concerns with anti-social behaviour in the town centre puts a question to their councillor for the meeting, too.
Old 02-07-2011, 22:45   #156
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Ken has kindly agreed to ask a question for me, so I would suggest that anyone else who has concerns with anti-social behaviour in the town centre puts a question to their councillor for the meeting, too.
My question...

Dear Ken,
who is the Accy Webber who is bombarding the council twenty times a day, with photographs of grot spots, and why have they decided to do this only now, when Hyndburn is no worse today, than it has been in the last few years?

Please help, I'm terrible at guessing games.

Love, Rind. x

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 22:52   #157
Give, give, give member

I'd like to know if the Maunday Grange charity receives from H.B.C. discounted business rates for all the properties they occupy in Accrington, over and above the reduced rates afforded to other charities working in the town, and if so, do they get any other financial perks?

Old 02-07-2011, 22:54   #158
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
My question...

Dear Ken,
who is the Accy Webber who is bombarding the council twenty times a day, with photographs of grot spots, and why have they decided to do this only now, when Hyndburn is no worse today, than it has been in the last few years?

Love, Rind. x

my estimate is if its a regular its a two horse race, if a non-regular include 3 more.
Old 02-07-2011, 23:34   #159
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
my estimate is if its a regular its a two horse race, if a non-regular include 3 more.
I'd bet my sweet bippy I know exactly who it is.

Though it would be fun if it was revealed publicly.

Old 02-07-2011, 23:36   #160
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I'd bet my sweet bippy I know exactly who it is.

Though it would be fun if it was revealed publicly.

one of em i have slightly odds on.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:09   #161
God Member

It aint me - I never go anywhere to take photos

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:12   #162
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It aint me - I never go anywhere to take photos
if i was running a book, yer odds would be colossal in other words "Rank Outsider"

Last edited by cashman; 03-07-2011 at 08:18.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:08   #163
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
if i was running a book, yer odds would be colossal in other words "Rank Outsider"
Ain't me either cashy, I ain't got a camera
Old 03-07-2011, 09:22   #164
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
My question...

Dear Ken,

Love, Rind. x

Well its not me.

I reported one thing to HBC by email, the mattress and litter around China Street that was posted on this thread. I received a reply that I was not very happy and I may post it later and my reply to it.

I did report a truck on the motorway spilling litter all over the road to the police but that was not in Hyndburn and was causing a driving hazard.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:33   #165
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Well its not me.

I reported one thing to HBC by email, the mattress and litter around China Street that was posted on this thread. I received a reply that I was not very happy and I may post it later and my reply to it.

I did report a truck on the motorway spilling litter all over the road to the police but that was not in Hyndburn and was causing a driving hazard.

Oh Neil, you were never in the running.

If I did have to have a stab at it, I'd guess it could be Mee.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..