Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2004, 19:50   #16
God Member

Re: What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud?

I like the stained glass window in the Library on St. James' Street and the arcade on Church Street and I also like the way that complete strangers will engage you in conversation while you are waiting for a bus.

I am trying to think of something I like about HBC, but it is very hard to come up with anything. There was a lady, who worked in the reception when the council had its offices in a Portacabin on Eagle Street, who was very kind and helpful to me while I was doing research for my degree. But that was many years ago now and she probably doesn't work for them any more, Which is sad.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-07-2004, 19:54   #17

The view from the top of the coppice - makes me feel very proud and special.
Old 15-07-2004, 19:54   #18
Resident Waffler

I'm not really sure what you are looking for Doug and Ceejache. The Haworth Art Gallery and its Tiffany Glass collection is perhaps something which could be considered to attract visitors to the town. I still think we could make more of the river.

I personally like the Coppice and the view over the town from up there but that probably isn't an appropriate answer for this thread. Maybe other people haven't posted because they just aren't sure of what is or is not acceptable as an answer.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 19:55   #19

Thats the view looking out towards Hyndburn, not Burnley...before someone jumps in there!
Old 15-07-2004, 19:56   #20
Resident Waffler

I just see that you've already posted about the Coppice whilst I was typing this.

Old 15-07-2004, 20:06   #21

C'mon Willow stop splitting hairs! The title is pretty much straight forward isn't it? What's good about Accrington? The view from the Coppice is a good thing about Accrington! See...easy! What makes you proud of.....? The football team and the friendly, genuine people! Again....not hard! THERE ARE NO UNACCEPTABLE ANSWERS - IT ISN'T A COMPETITION JUST A CHANCE FOR US TO SAY SOMETHING NICE ABOUT WHERE WE WERE BORN, BRED OR LIVE!

I repeat - ANYTHING!
Old 15-07-2004, 20:07   #22
Member.

Smile Re: What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I'm not really sure what you are looking for Doug and Ceejache. The Haworth Art Gallery and its Tiffany Glass collection is perhaps something which could be considered to attract visitors to the town. I still think we could make more of the river.

I personally like the Coppice and the view over the town from up there but that probably isn't an appropriate answer for this thread. Maybe other people haven't posted because they just aren't sure of what is or is not acceptable as an answer.
That's what willow......Things about the town and its surroundings that make you feel Proud. I'm proud of the people who have participated in this and the other posts on similar subjects...People that give a s**t and made the effort...

Last edited by Doug; 17-07-2004 at 00:06.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 20:09   #23

Wasn't trying to be condescending by the way Willow, I just think the title speaks for itself! There is no right or wrong answer!
Old 15-07-2004, 20:15   #24
Resident Waffler

Well that was why I said about the free parking because it's something I've felt proud of Accy for. So far this town hasn't given in to the ways of other towns and started charging for parking cars.

I was typing about the Coppice at the same time you were and then I wondered because it's just there isn't it? I mean nobody put it there. It just IS. So I can't say I'm proud of it but I do like the fact that its there. I think I liked it better before the trees were planted on it but then again I believe it did have trees on originally way back in time.

Oakhill Park is nice too and the music wassamacallums there I can never remember what they call that.

The fireworks displays when the Christmas lights are turned on. I can usually see them from up here.

Old 15-07-2004, 20:16   #25
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I love the view from the top of the Coppice, especially on a sunny day. You can look over Accrington (and it does look nice from up there) you can believe that the streets aren't paved with dog poo and chewing gum. Walking down the Arden Hall side of the Coppice, there is a little stream where my dog paddles in the summer, and it's always really quiet.
The majority of people in Accy are still friendly and generous of spirit, always good for a laugh, and I get a lot of pleasure out of visiting these people as part of my work.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 20:22   #26

True Willow - it is hard to justify being proud of some things that just 'are' but it is a good thing.

The Oak Hill park music thing is called Sounds. I played there three years back in Realistic Hair.......it poured down so it didn't get that many people there.....very disapointing for us!
Old 15-07-2004, 20:40   #27
God Member

What, you mean that your hair doesn't usually look realistic??
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 22:48   #28

The best thing about Accrington folk - and this goes for most parts of Lancashire if not other counties too - is the friendliness of the people. I don't believe it's purely an Accrington trait.

Are there any decent night clubs there these days?
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 08:05   #29

The name was from the old Action Man adverts "with eagle eyes and realistic hair! My hair is realistically disappearing.....
Old 17-07-2004, 00:04   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceejache
C'mon Willow stop splitting hairs! The title is pretty much straight forward isn't it? What's good about Accrington? THERE ARE NO UNACCEPTABLE ANSWERS - IT ISN'T A COMPETITION JUST A CHANCE FOR US TO SAY SOMETHING NICE ABOUT WHERE WE WERE BORN, BRED OR LIVE!

I repeat - ANYTHING!
I'm not surprised Willow asked what was expected in this thread when the first reaction to a reply from him/her was such a negative one.

No unacceptable answers? Perhaps it didn't seem that way from Doug's response which implied that Willow's first post was not worthy of this thread.

For the record I'm all for the free parking and the view from the Coppice.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..