Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-04-2020, 09:57   #61
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: when all this is over....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Me too Dorothy....and there will be enough to stuff a sofa( ok, maybe I am gilding the lily.....not a sofa but an easy chair).
Himself offered his services.....but I have only once let him loose on my Barnet with scissors.
It looked like I had lost the fight with a garden trimmer......I think it was the first(and last) geometric cut I ever had.....one side was up, the other down......and the edges were not even straight....it looked like it had been done by Braille.

So I won't be letting him touch the scissors.
Now, now, I'm sure he was trying his best!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-04-2020, 10:04   #62
Beacon of light

Goodness Less....that is NEAT next to what he did to my hair.

I have to tell you it was over fifty years ago when the rosy blush of romance was still strong....but it still took some forgiving.
It is just a good job that at the time I knew nothing of the powers of cut chilliest, or fibreglass insulating material.
Had I been more worldly wise he would have suffered.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 11:36   #63

Things must be getting back to normal, this is the second day in a row I've had junk mail through the letterbox.

Old 23-04-2020, 14:50   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
They want to eliminate cash altogether then every aspect of your life...everything you buy, everywhere you go, how you dress, how you have your hair done.... every single aspect of your life all on file. Cash is one of the few remaining levellers that gives us the freedom to go where we want and buy what we want without someone making a record of it. We should never give it up without an almighty fight.

Apologies - seem to be getting in a rant mode stuck indoors would rename meself Victor Meldrew if I wasn't such a shortarse.

Last edited by Jimmy Clitheroe; 23-04-2020 at 14:52.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 14:56   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Clitheroe View Post
They want to eliminate cash altogether then every aspect of your life...everything you buy, everywhere you go, how you dress, how you have your hair done.... every single aspect of your life all on file. Cash is one of the few remaining levellers that gives us the freedom to go where we want and buy what we want without someone making a record of it. We should never give it up without an almighty fight.

Apologies - seem to be getting in a rant mode stuck indoors would rename meself Victor Meldrew if I wasn't such a shortarse.
Ah, but who wishes to eliminate cash?
If it's the more affluent in society then they have been doing that for generations, it's called starvation wages a system still foolishly employed in many of the third world countries even today.
Old 23-04-2020, 15:23   #66
Beacon of light

The banks want to eliminate the use of cash because card transactions make them money.
The government want to eliminate the use of cash because cash does not leave a trail.....you are tracked when you use a card...your purchasing habits can be sold on to companies that will target you on your past purchases.

Jimmy...I agree with every word...and I do not consider it a rant.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 23-04-2020, 21:54   #67

A completely cashless society would not work. For instance, during those dreadful bushfires in Australia all the ATMs were down and only people with actual CASH were able to purchase petrol to get them out of the area...those bits of plastic were absolutely useless. There's been a few times when the power has gone off and the people who have forsaken cash for card were left completely lost, you could say they were powerless (pardon the pun), same thing when ATMs have been 'down', especially out-of-hours. So for practical purposes alone it would be ridiculous to eliminate using cash.....
...and yes, if it wasn't beneficial for them the banks wouldn't be pushing the issue.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 23:04   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
A completely cashless society would not work. For instance, during those dreadful bushfires in Australia all the ATMs were down and only people with actual CASH were able to purchase petrol to get them out of the area...those bits of plastic were absolutely useless. There's been a few times when the power has gone off and the people who have forsaken cash for card were left completely lost, you could say they were powerless (pardon the pun), same thing when ATMs have been 'down', especially out-of-hours. So for practical purposes alone it would be ridiculous to eliminate using cash.....
...and yes, if it wasn't beneficial for them the banks wouldn't be pushing the issue.
You get lots of (mainly younger) folk who believe cash to be old hat and so 'last century' and don't seem to mind about their whole purchasing, travelling, medical history belonging to some credit company and by default in the near future to the Chinese Communist Party. We already get 'ads' targeting us based on viewing history - carrying on along the same vein they will end up making ALL decisions for us.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 23:43   #69

Quote:
We already get 'ads' targeting us based on viewing history - carrying on along the same vein they will end up making ALL decisions for us.

I take it that you don't like the obvious next step where instead of product adverts being targeted at you, you simply get a receipt and the product.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 08:25   #70
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
You get lots of (mainly younger) folk who believe cash to be old hat and so 'last century' and don't seem to mind about their whole purchasing, travelling, medical history belonging to some credit company and by default in the near future to the Chinese Communist Party. We already get 'ads' targeting us based on viewing history - carrying on along the same vein they will end up making ALL decisions for us.
yeh mean those who know it all, but know nowt?? i was one myself once.
Old 24-04-2020, 08:45   #71
Beacon of light

And paying with an app on your phone.....what is that all about.
I would not trust the security of a phone to do either my banking or my shopping.
I will consider a smart phone when it will load the washer, put the washing on the line, iron it and put it awayuntil then I will continue with bits of paper (although they are plastic now aren't they) with the queens head on them.

A cashless society also penalises those who are poor and have either no bank account or one where they do not qualify for a debit card because of a poor credit score.
dotti34 and monkey hanger like this.
Old 24-04-2020, 09:11   #72

My son and daughter-in-law went out for dinner a little while ago and though they usually use plastic to pay (as most young ones do) they had some cash in the house so they thought they would use that instead. When the waitress brought the little machine for their card they gave her cash instead - she looked bemused and didn't seem like she knew what to do with it. Apparently none of her customers had ever used actual cash.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 09:13   #73
God Member

if its called smart ignore it. if they want card trasactions resist it. big brother is certainly watching you in more than one form. used to trust people far more than i do now. i,ve got to a stage where i consider everything and everyone as a scam and its their difficult job to persuade me that it isn,t one. her indoors as well as me have been scammed once and its our lifetime ambition to make sure it does not happen again.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 09:15   #74
God Member

Quote:
they think its being clever and flash to do it. giving an impression they have more than they actually have.
cashman and DaveinGermany like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 15:41   #75

Touching on the subject of hair, I'm at the age where preening in front of the mirror is a no, no for me, so when I caught a glimpse of myself after 5 weeks of social avoidance, I was suprised at the length both my hair and my beard have now reached (in fact I'm beginning to suspect there could be birds nesting in my beard).
The most shocking growth however has to be my eyebrows, another 2 inches and I may well be tripping over them.
I think I'll move hairdressing up my priority list and therefore do it myself in the next month or so.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..