Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2020, 17:02   #76
Beacon of light

Re: when all this is over....

If we are going to be isoalted until there is avaccine.....I think I will be able to tie mine round my waist.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-05-2020, 12:01   #77
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Touching on the subject of hair, I'm at the age where preening in front of the mirror is a no, no for me, so when I caught a glimpse of myself after 5 weeks of social avoidance, I was suprised at the length both my hair and my beard have now reached (in fact I'm beginning to suspect there could be birds nesting in my beard).
The most shocking growth however has to be my eyebrows, another 2 inches and I may well be tripping over them.
I think I'll move hairdressing up my priority list and therefore do it myself in the next month or so.

Well I bit the bullet, it must have been a mind thing, whilst I was in ignorance of how much hair I had produced life wasn't a problem but, i spent all day yesterday itching and scratching so this mornining I got my home haircut kit out and took everything down to a 1. The relief was instant. I had considered doing a couple of selfies to show you the before and after, I decided against this as those of you with delicate constitutions would have been upset with either of the photographs.

If there are any of you desperate for a haircut I could (for a small fee donated to the charity of your choice) tie the trimmer to a brush handle so that we can observe social distancing rules and reduce your own hairy body to one able to live with, of course if any of you ladies out there would be embarrassed by using a stranger for you needs I would wear a blindfold.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:20   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ange cut mine the other day after we purchased a trimmer wasnt prepared to wait until doomsday.
Old 01-05-2020, 13:50   #79
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Been doing my own (not that there's a lot of it) for years now, shears set on 4mm then whup .... off with what there is. Only problem is the fluffy fine stuff round the nape of the neck, razor for that but a tad fiddly doing it yoursen!
Old 01-05-2020, 13:55   #80
Beacon of light

It is all very well for you guys....doing it with the trimmer....but not that easy for the ladies.
I do not fancy taking mine down to a number one.....though by the time we get released it would probably be a decent length.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 01-05-2020, 14:35   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Been doing my own (not that there's a lot of it) for years now, shears set on 4mm then whup .... off with what there is. Only problem is the fluffy fine stuff round the nape of the neck, razor for that but a tad fiddly doing it yoursen!
Please don't call me fiddly.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:12   #82
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1239756]It is all very well for you guys....doing it with the trimmer....but not that easy for the ladies.
I do not fancy taking mine down to a number one.....

no, i,ll resist number 1 or numbers 2 or 3 for that. might be losing my sanity a bit but not my hair. however once after house arrest is over i,ll be first in the queue for a trim, 2 metres away in the queue obviously.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:54   #83

The talk is that next week Government will discuss ways of ending isolation. Like Margaret I hope they won't keep societies wrinklies locked 'for our own good' any longer than possible.
Unfortunately whatever sceme they come up with I fear my own release may be delayed longer than the rest of you, because of...

...Dandruff!!! Yes, because of my amateur attempt at haircutting I now seem to have a very bad case of it, so whatever the release date for most folk I feel I will need to remain in isolation until I've found the correct shampoo to cure this I just can't be going out spreading a blizzard of white around town, plus, Is dandruff contagious?
Old 03-05-2020, 11:36   #84

Quote:
The talk is that next week Government will discuss ways of ending isolation. Like Margaret I hope they won't keep societies wrinklies locked 'for our own good' any longer than possible.
Unfortunately whatever sceme they come up with I fear my own release may be delayed longer than the rest of you, because of...

...Dandruff!!! Yes, because of my amateur attempt at haircutting I now seem to have a very bad case of it, so whatever the release date for most folk I feel I will need to remain in isolation until I've found the correct shampoo to cure this I just can't be going out spreading a blizzard of white around town, plus, Is dandruff contagious?
My late buddy Alan Crawshaw, who used to own Crawshaws hairdressers in Abbey Street used to tell anyone who asked that the best way to get shut of dandruff was to wash your hair with a mild baby shampoo. He also reckoned that stress could be the cause of dandruff breaking out in the first place. Maybe the current isolation issue is literally doing your head in as it were, (just a thought)
Stay well, stay happy, The Luddite.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:44   #85

Quote:

Dandruff, now that raises an interesting question. Why don't cats and dogs appear to suffer from it and are there lessons to be learned?
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 13:03   #86
Beacon of light

Cats and dogs can both get dandruff.
It is down to their general health....sometimes it can be due to,a faulty diet, sometimes an underlying health condition.

Less, Dandruff will not kill you, if we are set free get down to the chemists and get some medicated shampoo(dandruff is thought to,be caused by a fungal condition).
Old 03-05-2020, 13:04   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

Less, Dandruff will not kill you, if we are set free get down to the chemists and get some medicated shampoo(dandruff is thought to,be caused by a fungal condition).
Does that mean I've been eating stale mushrooms?
taddy likes this.
Old 03-05-2020, 13:21   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Cats and dogs can both get dandruff.
It is down to their general health....sometimes it can be due to,a faulty diet, sometimes an underlying health condition.

Well you are supposed to learn something new every day, now I can go back to sleep happy. Seriously I didn't know that, I've seen lots of humans with it but never knowingly seen a cat, dog or other animal apparently with it.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 14:59   #89
Beacon of light

Many years ago(well, it must be, as I was a little girl at the time) we had a black Labrador that had dandruff.......though it never seemed to worry him.

Less, nothing to do with edible funus....more to do with a fungus called malasezzia.
You could do with a shampoo with ketoconazole in it.....used daily for five days...left on the scalp for a few minutes.
Once you have got rid of the condition you only need to,use the shampoo twice a week.
Old 03-05-2020, 15:56   #90

Start seriously thinking about moving somewhere nicer - though the missus wants to move to the South West (where she is from) and I want to be back in the North.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..