Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2012, 17:57   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Whitebirk Retail Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
That's the problem and it doesn't help when local councillors go to watch clubs in other towns.
Because they probably started watch the teams in other towns when Stanley were on a distant memory, they didn't see in existence
Old 23-05-2012, 17:58   #32
Senior Member+

What is this thread about?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 18:04   #33
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Because they probably started watch the teams in other towns when Stanley were on a distant memory, they didn't see in existence
High time they mended their ways and started displaying a little local loyalty like others have done.
Old 23-05-2012, 18:06   #34
Senior Member+

How long has Football been played at Whitebirke Retail Park?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 18:11   #35
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Ah Max, good to see you. Are you doing anything Saturday afternoons from August onwards?
Old 23-05-2012, 18:11   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post

i cant say for sure but if you want to meet up we could kick off a game of kerby as the kerbs there are ideal for it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 18:14   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
High time they mended their ways and started displaying a little local loyalty like others have done.
Well there can't be too many of them,
Old 23-05-2012, 18:18   #38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well there can't be too many of them,
One or two that you know!
Old 24-05-2012, 07:47   #39
Common Sense Member

Quote:
I'm afraid I have no interest in football but in fairness to Clare you really should see the stickers in her car's rear window if you're worried about loyalty to Accrington Stanley...

And I completely fail to see how a shopping trip to a big city is in some way deplorable. I take your point but much as I love shopping in Accy there are some things you just can't buy there.

We are trying to get bigger names to invest here but until then 'retail therapy' trips out of town are inevitable.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 08:13   #40
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I'm afraid I have no interest in football but in fairness to Clare you really should see the stickers in her car's rear window if you're worried about loyalty to Accrington Stanley...

And I completely fail to see how a shopping trip to a big city is in some way deplorable. I take your point but much as I love shopping in Accy there are some things you just can't buy there.

We are trying to get bigger names to invest here but until then 'retail therapy' trips out of town are inevitable.
Stickers on her car are all very well, but does she turn up regularly? If she does, more power to her. One thing I will say about Graham Jones - he's been a Rovers season ticket holder since 1978, but he does attend every Stanley home match he can.

As for shopping in bigger cities, that was Jaysay's criticism, so you'll have to ask him about that.

Incidentally, Ken, you might like to know that Mrs H who spends more or less every weekend indulging in retail therapy in Manchester, loves coming up to Accy for regular shopping trips and always returns home with bagfulls of bargains that she's picked up while here.
Old 24-05-2012, 08:17   #41
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
There is such a thing as local loyalty.
There is also a thing called personal choice.

As for local loyalty I am involved with quite a bit of that as well.
Old 24-05-2012, 08:34   #42
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Stickers on her car are all very well, but does she turn up regularly? If she does, more power to her. One thing I will say about Graham Jones - he's been a Rovers season ticket holder since 1978, but he does attend every Stanley home match he can.
Out of interest when did he start attending Stanley matches? Would it have anything to do with politics by any chance?
Old 24-05-2012, 08:34   #43
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

At the moment I do not like shopping in Accrington and try hard not to. As mentioned by accyman it is full of people I would rather not be around so I will go elsewhere. Once the rapid transport waste of money is finished people who rely on buses will be able to elsewhere faster as well. It has been mentioned by others before on AccyWeb, the problem with Accrington is some of the people not the place itself. Unfortunately the minority of people (I think they are the minority) are driving others out of town.

Many people want to shop at places like the Trafford Centre, Liverpool One and The Rock. They want to drive to Whitebirk, buy a TV stick it in the car which is parked outside the door and drive home with it. Shopping habits have changed over the years and trying to cling onto our old style town centre is one of the big problems we have. It is to big for the number of shops and shoppers. This leaves many empty shops and the town looking run down which in turn drives people away.

Is trying to prevent Whitebirk from expanding going to help Accrington town centre?
I don't think so, what it will do is make people like me drive to Preston or Manchester to shop. While I am over there I might spend some money in other shops.

The root cause of Accrington town centres problems need to be addressed, that is in the council can see what they are.
Old 24-05-2012, 08:41   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

The thing is Kenneth, if your in charge of Town Centre developement, don't advertise the fact your going shopping out of town on Social networking sitesIts called using your head
Old 24-05-2012, 08:54   #45
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Out of interest when did he start attending Stanley matches? Would it have anything to do with politics by any chance?
He's definitely been attending Stanley matches since long before he became an MP. I can say that for a fact. Whether or not he's been attending since before he became involved in local politics, I don't know. Obviously, I can't read minds, but the impression I get from chatting to him in the pub and on the way down to the ground is that he's a genuine supporter.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..