Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2014, 15:58   #166
Senior Member+

Re: Whitebirk Retail Park

Once major changes have been made to an area it is virtually impossible to change them back when the changes prove to have a negative effect.
I always looked forward to visiting Accrington when we had a trip home, even when we settled in Blackpool - what was the attraction? Accrington Market was, when it was still the old market before the building of the Wilko/JJB complex, fish stalls behind the Town Hall that didn't stink like the current ones do, stalls laid out with pride and such a wide variety of goods on offer - new goods that is, not like the current flea market that we now have on most days.
The new bus station appears to be finalised, the effect on the town will not be felt immediately but I am sure it will have a detrimental effect as has been pointed out by others - when the impact is finally recognised the people who instigated it will probably no longer be involved - another case of "deja vu"?
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2014, 16:34   #167
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Will Peel Street be reopened for traffic when the bus station moves?
I understand that the road will remain open and extra parking is to be created.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 16:39   #168
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Maybe HBC should be helping shops promote themselves better, if you are only finding out what Accrington has to offer maybe others are in the same situation
I agree to an extent, although Clare Pritchard works really hard on the town centre and is doing everything possible to get things to take off better.

I do still stand by my original point, if people didn't keep telling their mates how awful it is then more people might actually visit once in a while.

Old 06-01-2014, 16:53   #169
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I agree to an extent, although Clare Pritchard works really hard on the town centre and is doing everything possible to get things to take off better.
To take off better?

Is Peel St to be turned into a runway?

Well at least BG won't have far to go to get to work!
Ken Moss likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:11   #170
God Member

Quote:
I do still stand by my original point, if people didn't keep telling their mates how awful it is then more people might actually visit once in a while.
The flip side of that is things only get done if you shout often enough and loud enough. I would much prefer to say nowt, sadly at times you have to shout
Old 07-01-2014, 09:57   #171
Beacon of light

If we tell people it is good and they come and visit..... just how disappointed will they be?

You know Ken, it is just as bad to be unrealistically optimistic about a town that in the commercial sense, has very little to recommend it.
Sadly, I think Accrington falls into that category.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 20:38   #172

this post has lost its way it is supposed to be about whitebirk retail park.
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 22:15   #173
Senior Member+

where is whitebirk retail park in relation to the football ground?
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 08:02   #174
Senior Member+

Quote:
Do you wish for people to stop talking about Accrington or would you rather they tell lies?
Less likes this.
Old 17-01-2014, 08:14   #175
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Do you wish for people to stop talking about Accrington or would you rather they tell lies?
So you'd rather than people kept saying that there is NOTHING good there, it is full of pound stores and charity shops and nothing else, druggies, chuggers and the road and transport systems are a joke.....and still expect bigger companies to come here with a reputation like that being peddled?

Sod it, why not just wish for more Whitebirks and then everyone can really slag off Accrington, all those businesses within can get stuffed and the Council can be panned for not giving a stuff about smaller retailers.

If you want that is Blackburn really that far away?

Old 17-01-2014, 10:49   #176
Beacon of light

It isn't that there is NOTHING good here, it is just if you tell folk to come because it is a Market Town they are going to be mightily disappointed when they see the market and the shops.
It needs to be looked at differently........and it is no good pointing to other towns who have got it wrong and likening ourselves to them...we need to look at places like Bury.
A town which is well within travelling distance of a large city - which you would think would damage their trading base, but for some reason it doesn't!

So what is Bury doing that we cannot do.
And Manchester is a much bigger threat to the commercial centre of Bury than Whitebirk is to the commercial development of Accrington.

The excuses need to stop. Too many past councils have not seen the writing on the wall, have done things that have been bad for the centre of Accrington...and we are going to be having another disaster soon when they put the Bus station down Union Street.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 17-01-2014 at 10:55.
Old 17-01-2014, 10:52   #177
Senior Member+

Quote:
So you'd rather than people kept saying that there is NOTHING good there, it is full of pound stores and charity shops and nothing else, druggies, chuggers and the road and transport systems are a joke.....and still expect bigger companies to come here with a reputation like that being peddled?

Sod it, why not just wish for more Whitebirks and then everyone can really slag off Accrington, all those businesses within can get stuffed and the Council can be panned for not giving a stuff about smaller retailers.

If you want that is Blackburn really that far away?
As is the usual ploy, you failed to answer my question
Old 17-01-2014, 11:06   #178
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Whitebirk Retail Park

While we were out yesterday, Mick and I met a young man at the Railway he told us of a scheme about getting a grant to improve the shops etc on Blackburn rd from the Market hall up to the Viaduct.
That's a bit of good news, he promised to become a member and explain the details to us all.
I look forward to his input to the site.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 11:54   #179
Beacon of light

Less, that will be good. There is nothing worse than coming into the town from that direction. It gives a really bad impression of the town.
I'm glad something is going to be done about it.
Old 17-01-2014, 14:46   #180
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Less, that will be good. There is nothing worse than coming into the town from that direction. It gives a really bad impression of the town.
I'm glad something is going to be done about it.

Try coming into town from Whalley road up Abbey Street, I think thats worse

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..