Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-12-2013, 18:31   #76
God Member

Re: Whitebirk Retail Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Improve transport links
Focus on being a market town and the great heritage
Build the market hall up so people come from further afield
Anybody else see the flaw in that plan ?
Old 22-12-2013, 09:48   #77
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Anybody else see the flaw in that plan ?
Ray Charles could see it.
Old 22-12-2013, 12:13   #78
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Tractors won't fit in the parkhouse?
Boeing Guy likes this.
Old 22-12-2013, 15:30   #79
Senior Member+

Accrington isn't a market town, it never was and you can't market it(??) as one. It's an old industrial town, sort it out and sell it as such.
For ideas look at Chorley. It doesn't even have the lovely old Market Hall that Accrington does but it has a thriving recently updated covered market open 5 days a week and the famous 'Flat Irons' open market one day a week. The council provided matching, cheerful gazebos for all the Flat Irons stalls so it looks organised and not like a run down group of allotments.
It has a modern, quite small Bus Station right on the edge of the shopping center.A good, high capacity parking area, which is cheap, right on the shopping area.
In summer it's full of planters, hanging baskets etc. and feels welcoming. At Christmas there's a good display of lights, decorations etc. and feels Christmassy.
There are no drunks and addicts hanging around and I'm sure Chorley must have them just like Accrington and any other towns. But they're not in the town center, at least not during the day.
There's a huge excellent Tesco nearby and a big Morrisons near the centre- they haven't killed it so no excuses, Accrington.
Come on Accrington, someone isn't trying. The council and the civil servants should be ashamed!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 23:38   #80
Senior Member+

Accrington has an indoor and outdoor market which people identify strongly with. It may have been a mill town but those days are long gone.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 01:40   #81
Super Moderator

Quote:
Accrington has an indoor and outdoor market which people identify strongly with.
Are you joking? After what the council have done to the markets? I think not, Graham!
cashman, jaysay and Boeing Guy like this.
Old 26-12-2013, 06:17   #82
Beacon of light

Quote:
Accrington has an indoor and outdoor market which people identify strongly with. It may have been a mill town but those days are long gone.
To call what we have a 'market' is a travesty.
And the indoor market has no soul.
There was a ludicrous attempt to set up some wooden chalets outside the market hall and call it 'A Christmas Market'......why would you do that when there are empty stalls on the market and in the market hall?

Yes the days of industry are gone, but it doesn't mean that Accrington can misrepresent itself as a 'Market Town' when it has such a dire market as the one we have....and I have news for you......people do not identify strongly with the market.....they are embarrassed by it!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 12:58   #83
JFT96

To be fair Chorley Bus station was always near to the Market, Chorley Council seem to have done some good work, with Preston being close by. My parents still live in Euxton, just outside of Chorley so I know it well.

It also helps that although there is a Morrisons and Tesco near by, they are not close to the Bus Station, over a mile away and far from taking business away they have contributed to the town.

Words are easy to say and the cynic in me is wondering if our MP, who does not contribute often, is on here starting his re election campaign early.
Barrie Yates likes this.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion

Last edited by Boeing Guy; 26-12-2013 at 13:02.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 13:10   #84
Senior Member+

Quote:
If they do they have long memories, are easily pleased or are showing a loyalty not really deserved. I suspect you're a victim of your own propaganda. As an ex Councillor and current MP you must accept some responsibility for the current and recent state of the town.

Of course it's still a mill town, an industrial town. That's the only history it has, the housing and the public buildings and many of it's people reflect that even though the mills have gone.

Why try to put it's history behind you? Be proud of it and use it.

Even if you lifted it and stuck it in the middle of the Ribble Valley it would still be a mill town. Chorley had some mills but was always a market town because of the huge rural area it covered.

The people running Accrington have for many years shown a lack of vision, foresight and forward planning.

I'm sad when I visit and see what the town I grew up in and loved has been allowed to decay into- you, Graham, and the others who have run it all these years must take the blame.
Old 26-12-2013, 22:10   #85
Senior Member+

Whitebirk Retail Park

It is difficult when you have never controlled the budget and always been in opposition to do things differently than has been done.

Poor decisions have been made for decades and it will take as long to turn things around but I'm optimistic. Out of town shopping, the Internet have made it more challenging.

The cabins weren't a roaring success but they have been in Great Harwood for over a year where we have managed to build up the very successful Sunday market which has now won an award.
Old 26-12-2013, 22:17   #86
Beacon of light

Winning an award doesn't necessarily mean you have a good market....after all the market hall is dire, but that won an award.
And saying that the cabins have not been a roaring success must be the understatement of the decade.
As I said in my previous post....why would you want to erect those cabins when there is space going begging on both the market and in the market hall?
It is all show and no substance.....and it embarrasses me.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 27-12-2013, 08:47   #87
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Why would you want a Sunday market in Great Harwood taking trade from the struggling Accrington Market?
Isn't that the same as Whitebirk taking trade from Accrington shops that HBC is against?
Old 27-12-2013, 11:56   #88
Senior Member+

Quote:
It is difficult when you have never controlled the budget and always been in opposition to do things differently than has been done.

Poor decisions have been made for decades and it will take as long to turn things around but I'm optimistic. it more challenging.
Never controlled the budget?
Always been in opposition?

Graham, am I right in saying Hyndburn Council has had a Labour majority for 21 of the last 33 years?

So two thirds of the 'poor decisions' must be down to Labour?

They couldn't, in 21 years, correct any of the terrible mistakes I assume the Tories made?

They couldn't, in 21 years, make and carry out or at least put in place any forward plans to improve the town? If they did it doesn't show.

So how long in power do you think they will need?
Old 27-12-2013, 12:39   #89
Beacon of light

There is no politician or political party that will ever hold up their hands and shoulder the blame.
This refers to both local and national issues.
It was always someone else who was to blame.
And another thing, while we are on the subject...would someone care to look at the expensive surface that was put down on Broadway not very long ago.
It is a disgrace. If only those who hold the public purse strings would apply the same principles of getting value for money with our money, as they would do if they were spending their own money then we all might be a lot better off.
Boeing Guy likes this.
Old 28-12-2013, 10:22   #90
Senior Member+

Whitebirk Retail Park

I don't know how I could have changed things in opposition? I accept responsibility but there has to be a degree of realism.

Whilst Accrington's fall from where it was is sad, Accrington is not alone and it some ways was inevitable. My view is to remain positive and every effort is being made. If there's something missing flag it up.

Great Harwood Farmers Market has been a resounding success - where the cabins are used primarily. The number of pitches has risen from three to the maximum that space will allow, 32 without road closures. Traders report their best profits.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..