Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2013, 21:57   #106
Beacon of light

Re: Whitebirk Retail Park

As I said, they don't want to look at any evidence which would show them to be wrong in the route they want to take for Accrington.Looking at such figures would just underline the incompetence of those who make these decisions.
What is the old saying ' there's none so blind as those who don't want to see' ??
Boeing Guy likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-12-2013, 22:15   #107
Senior Member+

Whitebirk Retail Park

I don't think there has ever been a consensus in a decade of various meetings I have sat in with the public, councillors, retailers, interested parties. Everyone sees the common sense of their own ideas and there's been no shortage of 'if only'...
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 06:48   #108
Beacon of light

That is just the saddest phrase in the English language......'if only'.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 08:54   #109

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I don't think there has ever been a consensus in a decade of various meetings I have sat in with the public, councillors, retailers, interested parties. Everyone sees the common sense of their own ideas and there's been no shortage of 'if only'...
Perhaps you've spent 10 years going to the wrong meetings?

On this one single forum there appears to be a consensus about the new bus station, the market, removal of benches, Europe, parking on Blackburn Road to name just a few.

The Whitebirk story in the LT drew not one single comment agreeing with council policy all were pro retail park...isn't that a consensus?
Old 31-12-2013, 09:47   #110
JFT96

Quote:
And there lies the problem, if those Elected with the task of looking after the interests of the people, for the people, by the people cannot do it, why of why do you not all resign and allow someone who will get things done to take charge.
I am happy to offer my services as I am sure others on here would as well.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 11:14   #111
Senior Member+

Quote:
I thought the whole idea of a Party having a majority on a council was that it could then do all the things it had promised for the benefit of the people who had voted it in? And make new plans for the future.
If, even with a majority for a 13 year stretch, no one can decide to do anything about anything what's the point? That even a majority party can't reach a consensus with its own ranks?
Management is about making good decisions and getting on with them. Preferably popular decisions but primarily good ones
A council is management. Its primary duty is to manage for the benefit of its public. The interests of 'retailers and interested parties', while useful, come second to that.
So what are you saying, Graham. That all we have is ' if only' and the town will continue to decline? Chernobyl but without the radiation?

It's not good enough!

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 31-12-2013 at 11:18.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 13:35   #112
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
And there lies the problem, if those Elected with the task of looking after the interests of the people, for the people, by the people cannot do it, why of why do you not all resign and allow someone who will get things done to take charge.
I am happy to offer my services as I am sure others on here would as well.
Like you said the people decide by voting for who the want to make decisions for them

If you wish to offer your services that's great news. Which ward will you be standing for at the election and which party or will you be an independent?
Old 31-12-2013, 14:15   #113
JFT96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Like you said the people decide by voting for who the want to make decisions for them

If you wish to offer your services that's great news. Which ward will you be standing for at the election and which party or will you be an independent?
Okay, well assuming I am still in the UK at the next election, just looking at working overseas again.... I will be happy to stand as Independent and for Church ward, seeing I live on Dill Hall.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 15:34   #114
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
On this one single forum there appears to be a consensus about the new bus station, the market, removal of benches, Europe, parking on Blackburn Road to name just a few.
It will be dismissed as this forum only consisting of a few people who aren't representative of the local population

You only need to look around any digital/social media platform where there is a possible discussion/comments to see what people think. Always strikes me as odd that the same responses applied when the town is mentioned yet nobody in politics sees them.
Guinness likes this.
Old 31-12-2013, 15:41   #115
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
It will be dismissed as this forum only consisting of a few people who aren't representative of the local population
That's the question. Are the views on this forum representative of the local population?
From the mix of people on here(mainly older, I agree) I suspect they are.
Perhaps you who live in Accrington and talk to lots of people can tell us.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 15:46   #116
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
That's the question. Are the views on this forum representative of the local population?
From the mix of people on here(mainly older, I agree) I suspect they are.
Perhaps you who live in Accrington and talk to lots of people can tell us.
In general the views are the same as the numerous people I speak to in town, and see the various comments of on the internet. Makes no difference though.
Old 31-12-2013, 22:15   #117

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:

And there's the standard twee response from someone who doesn't take the time to think things through...

a) How when only 28% of the people vote is it considered a majority?..surely the 72% who don't are saying they don't want to choose from the offered selection, shouldn't they be offered an alternative until more than 50% vote? Even someone on trial is allowed to refuse some of his jurors, how come voters can't refuse the candidate selected by the party suits?

b) Even Ken Moss admitted on this forum that he had zero chance of being elected without aligning himself with a political party, and he approached the tories first, but was ignored ...now he's a dyed in the wool labour guy and boy has he started to toe the party line since his election despite any protestations he's made (or about to make ).

c) Independents unless they are well known and have money to burn for a campaign usually get around 5% of the protest vote

d) A fortune is spent on demographics and surveys...you won't find our Graham canvassing in safe areas, except for photo ops, he knows he has these votes, demographics and surveys..all paid for by the party...what chance would a little known airline pilot have against the party machine?
Old 02-01-2014, 13:28   #118
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
And there's the standard twee response from someone who doesn't take the time to think things through...
It's my standard don't moan about people who think they can do it better. It's more polite than step up and show us or shut up
Stevie R likes this.
Old 02-01-2014, 13:46   #119
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
It's my standard don't moan about people who think they can do it better. It's more polite than step up and show us or shut up
Polite?? see what becoming a mods done to yeh.
Old 02-01-2014, 14:49   #120
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Polite?? see what becoming a mods done to yeh.

I can be polite when I have to be, or when I want something

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..