Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2004, 21:27   #16
Senior Member+

I think thats why some bright spark invented 'Brewsters' the person who came up with that idea should get a knighthood !
a place where parental familys can gather and let the kids run riot ! - you know not to go for a drink in those places if your after a quiet pint or 5 !
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2004, 09:13   #17
God Member

It gets worse...

..so now we're talking about letting kids run riot throughout the "Pub". I give up. Well, a pub is short for "Public House", but what that's got to do with Witherspoons tat, fake paddy pubs, dodgy Aussie/American theme bars, disco pubs, nursery pubs.........all complete rubbish. It's time we brought back a proper english pub, features of which include, but are not limited to:

1) Outside bogs for both sexes. The lean-to for the blokes is a stone wall with a trough for drainage while the traps have lights that don't work. It rains whenever you nip out the back for a visit.

2) Pub divided into tap room, snug, best room. Proper smoking throughout. No women allowed in tap room.

3) Standard fittings to include 1 telly (Black & white) in taproom, tucked up in the far corner. This is so as to keep the racing fans happy on a saturday afternoon, but not so far as to distract from the main pupose of a pub, beer & conversation. Definatly no sky tv for "premiership" football to be watched by rank upon rank of neutered zombies uttering pathetic crys of "ooooohhh"..."aaahhhhhhhhh" when some overpaid plonker misses a sitter from 3 yards out. Carpet in best room.

4) Food. Hot Pie Warmer on the counter. Mushy peas on thursdays and fridays. Cheese butty's lunchtime, jam if you ask nicely. An exciting selection of light snacks( plain & cheese & onion crisps)

5) Booze. Bitter, Mild and Guiness on tap. Lager - for the ladies - bottles only. None of this "Premium bottle brand" rubbish, which is mostly fizzy water with added alcohol, so out goes the Becks, the Breezers and the rest of the crap.

6) No piped music, juke box, bandit or similar idiotic distraction.

6) Lock-in every night.

Now this is what I call a proper pub, nice, cosy, inviting. This is what we want and nowt else.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2004, 14:50   #18
Senior Member+

Might as well stay at home with a few can's, with a couple of mates to talk too.That would be as good as going to your local Tealeaf. By the way why do they call it a tap room?
Old 16-02-2004, 15:11   #19
God Member

Eh?

You don't like my ideal pub, then? Shame! Still everyone to their own........I suppose it's called a tap room rather than saloon bar or public bar because "tap" is easier to spell....
Old 16-02-2004, 15:38   #20
Senior Member+

Here's me thinking it was because when the men had one or two to many they jumped up onto the tables for a dance, and women were not allowed in to see such a specticle because as we women know it does'nt take much for men to make a fool of themselves in drink.
Old 16-02-2004, 15:44   #21
God Member

Making a fool..

You'd never catch me making a fool of myself after a drink.....I'd remember it if I did.
Old 16-02-2004, 17:52   #22
Senior Member+

Well yes, after meeting you the once i can say you are sensible in drink, maybe you are the exception, or maybe older and wiser than some.
Old 17-02-2004, 09:21   #23
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Mmmm, My ideal pub would have free Strongbow served to you at your table, by a good looking barman wearing nothing but a strategically placed bar towel. The toilets would always be clean, have toilet seats on them and loo paper. There would be free snacks (crisps, nuts etc.) on the bar, and everybody would wash their hands before touching them, so that scientists could not find traces of urine on them like they do.
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 12:17   #24
God Member

Bar towel

........I've got a Thwaites Bitter bar towel. Will that do? And I always wear gloves when I go to the toilet.
Old 18-02-2004, 15:15   #25
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Why the gloves??
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2004, 12:54   #26
God Member

Use your imagination.
Old 19-02-2004, 14:38   #27
Resting in Peace

thwaites

Talking of Thwaites anyone know about this it was in our old house when we moved in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m.jpg (31.2 KB, 28 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2004, 15:05   #28
God Member

How big is it..

..and what's on t'other side?
Old 19-02-2004, 15:20   #29
Resting in Peace

nothing its blank and solid brass
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2004, 15:48   #30
God Member

Is it big enough to stand a pint glass on?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..