Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2014, 23:39   #1

Old brains...

Phew! what a relief. Just read the findings of a study (sorry, yes another one, I do so like sharing these with you all) – this one done at Tubingen University in Germany, and apparently older brains do not lose capacity they simply take longer to process the huge amount of information gathered over a lifetime.

According to Dr. Michael Ramscar, the brain works slower in old age, but only because we have stored more information over time. Apparently the brains of older people do not get weak – they know more.

Here I was, saying goodbye to the millions of brain cells I thought I was losing every day – told they would never be replaced – and all the time I have just been getting a larger and larger filing cabinet up there in the old noggin’.

No wonder I have a head ache – it’s my old brain expanding…..
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-01-2014, 02:51   #2
God Member

Re: Old brains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Phew! what a relief. Just read the findings of a study (sorry, yes another one, I do so like sharing these with you all) – this one done at Tubingen University in Germany, and apparently older brains do not lose capacity they simply take longer to process the huge amount of information gathered over a lifetime.

According to Dr. Michael Ramscar, the brain works slower in old age, but only because we have stored more information over time. Apparently the brains of older people do not get weak – they know more.

Here I was, saying goodbye to the millions of brain cells I thought I was losing every day – told they would never be replaced – and all the time I have just been getting a larger and larger filing cabinet up there in the old noggin’.

You can find ideas like this in literature: Tennyson's "Ulysses" has the line, "I am a part of all that I have met." Or, better still, Christopher Isherwood's "I am a camera ... ".

I don't believe it matters how many brain cells one kills; there's no shortage up there. In fact, I'm slaughtering them in their millions rite now. Yes, I will have another beer I don't think that it's so much a question of thinking more slowly; us older folks think shiite out before we act or speak. Come to think of it that's not a bad idea ... and at my age I'm not limber enough to keep sticking my foot in my gob.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 07:17   #3
Beacon of light

This is something I have believed for a long time......now it has been confirmed by someone in a professional capacity.

I sometimes find that chasing a bit of information is like catching a butterfly........you only manage it when you stop looking.

These days too.....I am selective about what I try to get my brain to store.......I don't bother with celebrity gossip..or local gossip for that matter.
What is happening in someone else's life can be dealt with by them...and I don't need to know about it.(unless of course, it impacts on me)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 07:28   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Old brains...

I'm finding that I have to be selective about anything new I remember, my theory is that the old noggin is stuffed full of trivia and to store something new I'd have to make room by forgetting something old.
At least I think that's what I mean not sure if this is a new thought that has replaced what I used to think on this subject, whatever it is.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 14:04   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post

If this is all true how come I can hear a rattling noise every time I shake my head?

Can't remember when I last heard it though.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 15:30   #6
Beacon of light

Brains of elderly slow because they know so much - Telegraph

Here is a link in case you want to read the article.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 16:20   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

If yer memorys part of yer brain,then i don't buy this!!! cos me memorys knackered to what it used to be.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..