Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2012, 17:26   #106
Resting In Peace

Re: Bethel Chapel "walking" crusade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Surely all they would have done was walk along Hyndburn Road, turned into Henry Street, walked toward the Stag Pub, I think at that point they would have walked up, think it was called COMMERCIAL Street, which would have brought them out by the side of the huge pub at the lights at Church, (The Commerical) then they would have turned LEFT back onto Blackburn Road, turned LEFT again into Henry Street, down to the lights at the bottom, RIGHT onto Hyndburn road and back home.
I worked at Mastabar/NGN at Church for many years. Commercial St was my "route" to work each morning.
Agree with this route except they could have continued along Blackburn Road to Park Road and then home that way.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-02-2012, 20:05   #107
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Agree with this route except they could have continued along Blackburn Road to Park Road and then home that way.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

I mentioned Park Rd in Post 103. We just don't know.

If anyone has 'Accrington Acclaimed' which I compiled with Geoff Taylor in 2008, look at page 28. These two pics were taken at the same location as the one we have been discussing, but facing the other way. The block is between Henry & Ernest Streets. Using the 1951 directory, I have surmised that the shop front in 'our' photo is No 21, occupied by Mr Holden, a fruiterer.
Why were these two streets, and Edward St, given Christian names?
Why did it take me so long to work out that I had access to these two photos?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 20:08   #108
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Was a Mr Holden who had a small furniture shop on left towards church lights Bob, his son Ken was in my class at Tech.
Old 21-02-2012, 20:14   #109
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post

Hahaha, Bob ... I looked at these and discounted them for some reason ..could be slipping into the black hole of dementia.

Well done Atarah and Steve. I had looked at Lancashire Lantern too .. but couldn't find ...taught me to put more into the search box.. thanks.. x

As for the decade, thought would be able to tell with the hats and shoes, but the cloche hat and bar shoe were prevalent in both the 20's and 30's, and clothes lasted longer then, and not so disposable.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 20:17   #110
Senior Member+

I remember that furniture shop at the corner with a street between it and the lodge. I seem to remember the name Holden too. I went there to pay my mum's HP on some furniture.
Old 21-02-2012, 21:04   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post

I mentioned Park Rd in Post 103. We just don't know.

If anyone has 'Accrington Acclaimed' which I compiled with Geoff Taylor in 2008, look at page 28. These two pics were taken at the same location as the one we have been discussing, but facing the other way. The block is between Henry & Ernest Streets. Using the 1951 directory, I have surmised that the shop front in 'our' photo is No 21, occupied by Mr Holden, a fruiterer.
Why were these two streets, and Edward St, given Christian names?
OLD AGE....LOL

Maybe we lot could have a procession down Blackburn Rd...called..

Bob and the Accy Web Codgers.....Strolling, just strolling, In the cool of the evening ...

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 21:17   #112

Some information about St Oswalds and Sacred Heart from the 17th century to 1919. Some pages are missing unfortunately and they are just readable....

you'll love these...

Who's glad my mum was a Christian......

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bethel st oswalds (3).jpg (97.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg bethel st oswalds (4).jpg (102.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg bethel st oswalds (5).jpg (101.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg bethel st oswalds (6).jpg (91.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg bethel st oswalds (7).jpg (76.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg bethel st oswalds (8).jpg (69.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg bethel st oswalds (9).jpg (66.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 21-02-2012, 21:41   #113
Senior Member+

Geat stuff. Please tell the name of the book and the author. . I will be annoyed if I have it, though I don't think I have.
Old 22-02-2012, 10:29   #114
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
OLD AGE....LOL

Maybe we lot could have a procession down Blackburn Rd...called..

Bob and the Accy Web Codgers.....Strolling, just strolling, In the cool of the evening ...

Phil
Count me out! I may be 65 on the outside but I'm still 25 inside!

Can codgers be female? now there's a thread topic for you!
Old 22-02-2012, 13:29   #115
Senior Member+

This is for you, Karateman, to finish the story off

"Religion with fire behind it!"

From the Accrington Observer, "The formation of this new religious body in Accrington arises out of the recent visit of Pastor Jeffrey's to the Accrington Town Hall. The new church, which will be under the guidance of Pastor Thrush, will be opened by Pastor Scarisbrook, of Leyland"

The official opening was 28th May 1932

Another article states "A Bethel Temple, the outcome of the campaign recently conducted in Accrington and Oswaldtwistle by Pastor Jeffrey's, was opened on Hyndburn Road (opposite the bottom of Park Road) on Sat 28th May 1932. It is the first branch in Accrington of the Bethel Evangelistic Society, whose headquarters are at Bristol. The building which they are using for their activities was formerly St Oswald's Roman Catholic Church, and was closed 60 years ago. Since then it has been used as a store-house by Messrs F. Steiner and Co., Church. The new tenants have leased it, and are hoping to buy it in time. The hall will seat about 800, a gallery which has been erected at the back providing accommodation for over 200.

A feature of Saturday's opening proceedings was the procession about 400 strong in the afternoon, through Accrington and back to the Temple. Headed by little girls carrying baskets of flowers, the procession included a considerable number of Crusaders (young ladies) in WHITE SMOCKS AND BLACK HATS, and the processionists sang hymns as they marched through the streets".

So, looks like your lovely Mum was a "crusader".

If you like, I will photocopy this page from the Observer and let you have a copy, to put with all your family heirlooms.

Last edited by Atarah; 22-02-2012 at 13:37.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 14:02   #116
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
This is for you, Karateman, to finish the story off

"Religion with fire behind it!"

From the Accrington Observer, "The formation of this new religious body in Accrington arises out of the recent visit of Pastor Jeffrey's to the Accrington Town Hall. The new church, which will be under the guidance of Pastor Thrush, will be opened by Pastor Scarisbrook, of Leyland"

The official opening was 28th May 1932

Another article states "A Bethel Temple, the outcome of the campaign recently conducted in Accrington and Oswaldtwistle by Pastor Jeffrey's, was opened on Hyndburn Road (opposite the bottom of Park Road) on Sat 28th May 1932. It is the first branch in Accrington of the Bethel Evangelistic Society, whose headquarters are at Bristol. The building which they are using for their activities was formerly St Oswald's Roman Catholic Church, and was closed 60 years ago. Since then it has been used as a store-house by Messrs F. Steiner and Co., Church. The new tenants have leased it, and are hoping to buy it in time. The hall will seat about 800, a gallery which has been erected at the back providing accommodation for over 200.

A feature of Saturday's opening proceedings was the procession about 400 strong in the afternoon, through Accrington and back to the Temple. Headed by little girls carrying baskets of flowers, the procession included a considerable number of Crusaders (young ladies) in WHITE SMOCKS AND BLACK HATS, and the processionists sang hymns as they marched through the streets".

So, looks like your lovely Mum was a "crusader".

If you like, I will photocopy this page from the Observer and let you have a copy, to put with all your family heirlooms.
Well now we know about the beginning, what about the end?

Glad my feelings about the date were about right, I would have said about 1930. My fashion knowledge has not deserted me!
Old 22-02-2012, 14:03   #117
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thats a great find Atarah.
Old 22-02-2012, 20:08   #118

Yeah ...would love a copy of the article....always thought it would be around 1932 ish...mum looks in her early twenty's...she would nearly twenty actually.

What a wonderful climax to the story, so much history found and learnt....and new found friends on Accy Web as well as a bonus......life can be sweet...

Thanks everyone.....then again, maybe it isn't the end...dan dan daaann!...(dramatic pause) we shall have to see....

Phil

ps...I'm sure I have other photos needing identifying....let me know if anyone fancies another investigation....

pss...Bob I will try and find the book details.....start getting the procession organised...LOL
Old 22-02-2012, 20:30   #119

"through Accrington and back to the Temple"

So it looks like the procession carried on Blackburn Rd through Accy, probably down king st to Hyndburn Rd and then back along to Gatty park.... and with the suggestion earlier about along Hyndburn rd up Henry st past the Commercial and onto Blackburn Rd, I think we have the full route....agree?

Phil
Old 25-02-2012, 20:48   #120

Finally....another picture of the location on the right..

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackburn rd church.jpg (81.1 KB, 20 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..