Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2012, 21:47   #91
Resting In Peace

Re: Bethel Chapel "walking" crusade

Actually just revised my conclusions from the last post - think the corner in Steve's photo is opposite the one in my photo so the boarded up shop is on Blackburn Road and the procession is heading along Blackburn road towards Henry street. The shop next to the bank in my photo appears to have a moulding over the door which the one in the walking picture does not. Also the curved building on the right of the shop in Steve's photo has a window upstairs and no doorway which does not tie in with the bank in my photo.
Sorry if I misled anyone.

Last edited by susie123; 20-02-2012 at 21:52.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-02-2012, 21:53   #92
Resting In Peace

Phil where did you find that photo of the burnt out church?
Old 20-02-2012, 22:01   #93
Full Member+

Steve how did you find your pic?

Dogged determination!
I knew there were a few photo's on LL of the area that Bob mentioned.
I put the link on this aft hoping that one of you guys would do the legwork, but if you want a job doing right.....!!
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 22:04   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Phil where did you find that photo of the burnt out church?
From the person who currently lives in Ivy cottage.

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 22:14   #95
Full Member+

One thing that is confusing me is this: If the procession came from Hyndburn Road then what are they doing at the "Blackburn side" of the bottom of Henry Street and walking towards Accy?.....or am I missing something?
Old 20-02-2012, 22:17   #96

So they are coming down Blackburn rd and are just about to cross the top of henry which is just out of picture to the right. In Steves pic you are looking down Henry st from blackburn rd....I think you can see the old police station in the distance next to the Stag pub. Wonder where they were coming from though.........Ossy I would think....oh no here we go again....LOL

Bob it must be 1930's. mum was born in 1912 and is third from left in white uniform and looks older than 18 or 19.

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 22:21   #97
Full Member+

...unless they're walking to the chapel rather than from it?
Old 20-02-2012, 22:21   #98
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Steve how did you find your pic?

Dogged determination!
I knew there were a few photo's on LL of the area that Bob mentioned.
I put the link on this aft hoping that one of you guys would do the legwork, but if you want a job doing right.....!!
Another slack day at the office Steve?
Old 20-02-2012, 22:22   #99
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
From the person who currently lives in Ivy cottage.

Phil
Of course, thanks Phil. Has she any more?
Old 20-02-2012, 22:23   #100
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Another slack day at the office Steve?
Nope, posted the link for you this aft but did my trawling after tea!!
Old 20-02-2012, 22:27   #101
Resting In Peace

Quote:
One thing that is confusing me is this: If the procession came from Hyndburn Road then what are they doing at the "Blackburn side" of the bottom of Henry Street and walking towards Accy?.....or am I missing something?
I wondered that too Steve...

Quote:
...unless they're walking to the chapel rather than from it?
well yes they could be homeward bound but where would they have been en route?
Old 20-02-2012, 22:32   #102
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Nope, posted the link for you this aft but did my trawling after tea!!
I had looked on LL earlier today but as I said before I find it difficult to find anything on that site.

Posting my scream pic again otherwise I will have steam coming out of my ears...

That's better...
Attached Images
File Type: png Munch_The_Scream_lithography.png (30.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 21-02-2012, 09:46   #103
Senior Member+

These processiions were properly called 'a procession of witness' They were intended to show that the walkers were proud to be from a paticular Christian church. But they had a secondary meaning - they were advertising their church/chapel in the hope of attracting more members. So, with this in mind, they toured their catchment area - the Church-Acc border.It was a circular route and they were probably over the half-way line.I suspect that they would either continue on Blackbnurn Rd to Park Rd then turn kleft, or turn left into Henry St, or at Antley or India St and make their way to Gatty Park for a cuppa and bun. The route would likkelty be givenj in the Observer's reeport - or there would be an ad on the front page where all the churches had a weekly ad about who their preacher was that week.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 11:17   #104
Senior Member+

Surely all they would have done was walk along Hyndburn Road, turned into Henry Street, walked toward the Stag Pub, I think at that point they would have walked up, think it was called COMMERCIAL Street, which would have brought them out by the side of the huge pub at the lights at Church, (The Commerical) then they would have turned LEFT back onto Blackburn Road, turned LEFT again into Henry Street, down to the lights at the bottom, RIGHT onto Hyndburn road and back home.
I worked at Mastabar/NGN at Church for many years. Commercial St was my "route" to work each morning.

Last edited by Atarah; 21-02-2012 at 11:21.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 11:39   #105
Senior Member+

You seem to know a lot about pubs, lady. That may well have been the simplest way, but if the aim was to be seen by locals,the main road may not have been the best one. We simply don't know. The ones you missed out were the Wellington & The Bridge, both at the corner of Nelson Square.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..