Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   home made cow heal pie (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/home-made-cow-heal-pie-27973.html)

magpie 23-01-2007 19:41

home made cow heal pie

home made cow heal pie

anyone know how to make this, my gran used to make when I was little...
said the gravy would stick to me ribs....:D

cherokee 23-01-2007 19:43

Re: home made cow heal pie

eeewwwwww sorry magpie that sounds awful

magpie 23-01-2007 19:47

no really it was very good. but I can't think what she put in it apart from the cow heal, when it was cooked my little brother used to suck on the cow's heal to help him with his teething:

unless this was an early form of child cruelty hm I wonder, I thought all the kids had this to eat:

maxwell silver 23-01-2007 19:55

Had it myself when iwas younger.Loved it,sucked sticky bones the lot.Believe me that gravy does stick to your ribs.Tripe and onion soup as well,great for those freezing winter days.Alas i've had neither since i was a teen & could'nt tell you how to make it.:(

magpie 23-01-2007 19:57

ah thank goodness for that Mawell silver .... thought it was my gran being mean to me: yes it did taste really good:

panther 23-01-2007 19:59

tripe and onion!!! omg thats yuk!!! i feel ill now

jedimaster 23-01-2007 20:12

a traditional lancashire dish from ww2 when rations were scarce
here's my interpretation whether it wil be exact i don't know i only made this a couple of times down south to bring in a bit of tradition to theme nights etc.
here goes.

1/2 lb cows heels cleaned and scraped
1/2 lb shin beef
1 large onion
salt and pepper

for the pastry

1/2lb plain flour
1/4lb marge
1/4lb lard
4 tbsp water

add the cows heels, beef chopped & onion to a pan of water bring to the boil and simmer for at least 3 hours

cover with the pastry and bake for 45 mins (about 180 oC)

entwisi 23-01-2007 20:19

You can buy cow heel on the market on the black pudding stall. My mum still buys it and makes it. She prefers to use Skirt beef but any tough old cut is suitable (Don't use steak as it needs to be tough to survive teh long cooking time, it will become lovely and tender)

jedimaster 23-01-2007 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 373457)
You can buy cow heel on the market on the black pudding stall. My mum still buys it and makes it. She prefers to use Skirt beef but any tough old cut is suitable (Don't use steak as it needs to be tough to survive teh long cooking time, it will become lovely and tender)

i agree skirt good too as it makes a lovely rich gravy

steeljack 23-01-2007 20:29

think there used to be a chain of shops which sold that stuff , cowheels, tripe , oxtails etc. U C P springs to mind , for some reason seem to remember they had a restaurent/cafe in Blackpool in the 50s , but could be wrong .

http://www.hexham-courant.co.uk/hext...aspx?id=443675

moonshiner 23-01-2007 21:01

Now this sounds like my type of grub, will be givin it a try this weekend ill
try it with a couple apound ashin, washed down with a bottle or so of last years elderberrie wine. :) :)

junetta 23-01-2007 23:55

I really love blackpudding. I spotted some here once, bought it and then found that it was sweet and had nuts in it. It looks exactly the same but is more like Xmas pud. Such a disappointment.

I donīt remember ever having cow heel pie but tripe was a favourite of mine. Tripe and trotters for tea with chips. Didnīt like it cooked though.

steeljack 24-01-2007 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by junetta (Post 373526)
Didn´t like it cooked though.

I've wondered about this for years, was the tripe we ate as kids raw , straight from the cow ? or when our Mums cooked it were they cooking it a second time ? I allways remember it being on show on white marble slabs and kept semi-chilled , but did it come straight from the slaughter house to our plates without any processing , one thing we never heard of mad cow in them days
:confused: :confused:

katex 24-01-2007 06:19

Will make you big and strong, after all, was it not Desperate Dan who used to gain his strength from this ? :D

entwisi 24-01-2007 06:21

Its been boiled and bleached when you buy it, you then cook it a second time (usually in Milk) with onions.

The blackpudding they have at our canteen in a morning is absolutely disgusting. I won't even try it anymore.

The 'stickiness' from cowheel comes from the gelatin in the bone and gristle. Its tasty too.. :D