Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2006, 03:47   #1
Junior Member+

Exclamation Being screwed by employer....

Can anyone help?At my current place of work (cannot say where just yet for obvious reasons) I feel that I am being unfairly singled out for some very obnoxious treatment i.e. I was given a written warning for having time off(two half shifts) after having the absence agreed by my shift supervisor and also the manager who issued the written warning.The two people aforementioned denied all knowledge of me asking them for the time off yet a fellow employee,the following day!,had six days off using the excuse that he couldn't find a babysitter and he didn't even get any come back whatsoever!This is just an example of the treatment Im receiving at the mo.also I went to work at 2pm on Monday only to be told that I was on 12hr night shift this week yet I wasnt consulted about this and also that Im on 12hr shifts for the next five weeks,which I also have not agreed to or wish to do as I have other interests outside of work!What can I do about this cos i dont want to lose my job but am finding it increasingly difficult to work there and it is also affecting my emotional state as It is beginning to really get me down and I worry that whatever I do,they will just find something else to give me another warnning anyway!Im not a lazy person and work twice as hard as other employees yet am still receiving grief no matter what I do!Please wont someone give me some advice beforte I completely lose it and crack up!!!!!!!!HELP
NorthStar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-08-2006, 03:54   #2
I am Banned

Re: Being screwed by employer....

sounds like you work at senator m8 , one rule for the brown nosers and another for the people that actualy do some bloody work

i think they have to give you a few months notice to any shift change

ring citizen rights they will tell you who to get in touch with , there is an organisation but i cant recall its name

sadly in the real world workmates will most likely not back you up in fear of reprocusions to themseleves and teh bosses will all stick together and it will be all their words against yours

Last edited by chav1; 31-08-2006 at 03:57.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 06:30   #3
God Member

Firstly whilst its hard you can forget about what happens to other employees, these would have no bearing on anything that happnes to you. What you are effectively describing is constructive dismissal. i.e. they are trying to get rid of you through unfair means. You need to start diarising everything that happens at work in respect of yourself. i.e. if your shifts are changed at any point without prior agreement(as long as your contarct doesn't state that they can do this, if you don't have a copy of your contract ask for one, they have to provide it by law), if they alter what job you actually do without prior agreement etc. If you ask for any time off/etc make sure you do it in writing and ask for a signed conformation. You need to build a case of evidence before going to either higher powers or a tribunal.

Only when you(or CAB) feel you have a case should you show your hand, up to that point, grin and bear it.

However heres a second choice, you spend far too much time at work to feel so bad about it. Whilst it doesn't stop this sort of behaviour going on I would personally be looking for another job asap. When you are leaving make sure you ask to speak to one of the HR department(or just the big boss if its a small comapny) and make it clear you are leaving because of this behaviour against you. If you have a decent wedge of evidence then threaten them with a claim anyway, even if you don't persue it it could scare the hell out of them and the people responsible will be told to back off in future.

Hope some of this helps

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 09:15   #4
God Member

First.. excellent advice re what happeens to other people.. forget that..

Second... do they pay you? then put up with it and if you don't like it then leave.

Thats my honest opinion that you asked for....
Old 31-08-2006, 10:15   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
excellent advice re what happeens to other people.. forget that...
I don't agree with that. If you are being treated differently than others then you are being victimised which is classed as harrasment and you could bring a case against them. It is much easier to just put up with it while you find another job. After all why whould you want to work for a firm that treats you like that?
Old 31-08-2006, 10:18   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
First.. excellent advice re what happeens to other people.. forget that..

Second... do they pay you? then put up with it and if you don't like it then leave.

Thats my honest opinion that you asked for....
A bit harsh.

It is difficult, but you must first build a case (without your employers knowing). You haven't said whether you have a union represenative (i'm guessing that you haven't), if you have, speak to them. Have a look at the ACAS website (link below) for further information. Everything you need to know is on thier site.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=341

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 11:26   #7
God Member

Neil.. I was trying to say that the other mans grass is always greener.. forget how others are treated because you dont know the full story.. only what you see and percieve is happening.. so better to just concentrate on your own problems.. what happens to them or how they are treated shouldn't matter.

It's like the bloke who works away happy.. happy with the wage he is getting and in general enjoys working... then he find out the next bloke gets more money and he is then unhappy and up in arms... not logical

Unions..... I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.. someone once said that unions closed down more factories than hitlers bombers did.
Old 31-08-2006, 11:51   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Firstly whilst its hard you can forget about what happens to other employees, these would have no bearing on anything that happnes to you. What you are effectively describing is constructive dismissal. i.e. they are trying to get rid of you through unfair means. You need to start diarising everything that happens at work in respect of yourself. i.e. if your shifts are changed at any point without prior agreement(as long as your contarct doesn't state that they can do this, if you don't have a copy of your contract ask for one, they have to provide it by law), if they alter what job you actually do without prior agreement etc. If you ask for any time off/etc make sure you do it in writing and ask for a signed conformation. You need to build a case of evidence before going to either higher powers or a tribunal.

Only when you(or CAB) feel you have a case should you show your hand, up to that point, grin and bear it.

However heres a second choice, you spend far too much time at work to feel so bad about it. Whilst it doesn't stop this sort of behaviour going on I would personally be looking for another job asap. When you are leaving make sure you ask to speak to one of the HR department(or just the big boss if its a small comapny) and make it clear you are leaving because of this behaviour against you. If you have a decent wedge of evidence then threaten them with a claim anyway, even if you don't persue it it could scare the hell out of them and the people responsible will be told to back off in future.

Hope some of this helps
Im with entwisi on this one - great advice i would give hehehehe Also be VERY careful about walking out of the job even if driven to it as i found once to my cost that, walking out & no other job to go to, leaves you in a bad situation as far as if you had to claim JSA or income support whilst finding another job, as without proof of what you are going through they will turn round & say that you left a job voluntarily & can have half your benefits deducted immediately & trust me you dont get much as it is but half of that is impossible to live on as i found hard way!!!

Speak to the employment adviser at the CAB who will give you all the information as to putting evidence together & procceedures & will help you out if you have a case or put you through to someone who can.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 11:58   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
It's like the bloke who works away happy.. happy with the wage he is getting and in general enjoys working... then he find out the next bloke gets more money and he is then unhappy and up in arms... not logical

Unions..... I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.. someone once said that unions closed down more factories than hitlers bombers did.
I dont agree only employers themselves sh*te themselves about unions but they do get negotations between employee & employer to get to a right & fair solution usually much to the employers dismay.

I hope me dad notices this one heheheheehe he's best to explain it all
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 12:15   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
I dont agree only employers themselves sh*te themselves about unions
exactly... because they dont want to end up out of business because there whole workforce goes on strike for 6 weeks losing orders and customers because so and so is a bit upset and feels badly treated. Suppose they work in a factory with hundreds of people.. what happenes if this esculates.. how are those workers wives and children gonna feel with the husbands on strike wiht no money because someone they dont even know at the other end of the factory has caused a strike..

going over the top am i? then why are employers scared of unions if it isn't because of what they do..

if your a good worker and being paid the going rate then get on with it or find another job.. dont involve the unions and the rest of the workforce.. unions thrive on trouble.. without trouble unions wouldnt exist..

send in maggie.. she will sort the unions out

PINCH OF SALT
Old 31-08-2006, 12:24   #11
God Member

I agree with Kipax on being happy with your lot, I'm sat here now at work, teh lad next to me lives in Manilla, Philipines, hes a good techie, pleasant and happy in his job, he earns about 1/5th what I do. Like wise the guy behind me earns ~10K more than me for doing the same job, another(a contractor) earns ~£450 a day for the same job). Whose teh happiest? I'd say Owee and myself are certainly the more cheerful in our work.

Old 31-08-2006, 12:56   #12
Beacon of light

I have been out of the work situation for quite a while now, but I have to agree with previous posters about building a case.......ACAS used to print some very helpful booklets and I'm sure their website will be of some positive help to you.
Keep your head down.........and I hope things work out well for you in the end.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 13:49   #13
Give, give, give member

Luckily you do have the law on your side, and your employer will need an air tight case and have followed all the procedures to the letter, before you can be dismissed. Otherwise they know you'll have a very good case to seek compensation for unfair dismissal.

Like other people have said ignore how you think your co-workers are being treated, and if you feel unhappy with your job secretly look for a better one.

Good luck.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 13:56   #14
God Member

Why secretly? perhaps if he makes it known that he is looking for other work they will lay off thinking that they have 'won' only for the OP to continue happily in his work.

I've never hidden that fact that I was looking for other work. It can sometimes be the focus that makes an employer sit up and take note of how much you actually do. It is rare that loyalty exists in employment today, and by that I mean the employer being loyal to you just as much as the other way round. You should always look on it as a marriage of convienience, they want you and/or your skills and you want their money.

Old 31-08-2006, 13:56   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Luckily you do have the law on your side, and your employer will need an air tight case and have followed all the procedures to the letter, before you can be dismissed. .

Where did getting sacked come into it? Different story if he gets sacked..

I read he was having a bit of a feel sorry day and thought he was being picked on and wanted to know what to do..... Now you have him sacked ? Poor bloke was better off before he posted

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..