Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 17:31   #1
God Member

growing your own veggies

ok i might of asked this question before but... does anyone on here grow there own veg? i'm going to try and grow some myself, just starting off with potato's and maybe carrots...i'm going to try doing the potato's in a huge bin type thing instead of the ground because the mud in my garden is naff

anyone any tips?
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-02-2008, 17:39   #2
God Member

Re: growing your own veggies

Only from what i've heard from them that grow their own spuds at work - haven't done it myself.
Don't fill the tub, place the seed potatoes at the bottom and place about 4 inch of soil over them, as the shoot grows keep adding more soil just leaving the leaves on show, this way they say you get the biggest crop.

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 17:48   #3
God Member

cheers for that Ken, i'd already heard something along those lines....i was going to plant some actual sprouting potato's, does anyone know how much seed potato's are and where i can get some from?
Old 04-02-2008, 17:53   #4
God Member

Found this about my previous post.
Quick Google found these for seed potatoes.

www.ubuntu.com

Old 04-02-2008, 17:56   #5
God Member

You can even buy em on Ebay

www.ubuntu.com

Old 04-02-2008, 18:45   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

cant grow me own havent got a garden in the back its all paved
dont think i have the patience reallly, but i have tried growing mushrooms once....and no not the magic variety either
Old 04-02-2008, 18:59   #7
I am Banned

You can grow spuds in empty bags. I've used the plastic ones that you get from the builders merchants. Roll the top of the bag down to about 1/2 way punch some drain holes in the bottom, 1/2 fill with good soil, make sure theres no lime in it, any spud can be used they don't have to be special seed potatoes, if the eyes are sprouting it will do, rub of all but 3 sprouts, press into soil with sprouts upermost, cover with 6" of soil, keep well water but don't drown them. As the plants grow you can unroll the bag abit and add more soil. Spuds can take up to 26 weeks to come to full maturity. Don't forget to feed them whilst they are growing.

Carrots are a bit more exacting, they need sowing at the right depth and covering with a garden fleece to stop carrot fly, there's thousands of the little sods in Accrington.

Retlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
ok i might of asked this question before but... does anyone on here grow there own veg? i'm going to try and grow some myself, just starting off with potato's and maybe carrots...i'm going to try doing the potato's in a huge bin type thing instead of the ground because the mud in my garden is naff

anyone any tips?
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 19:35   #8
Senior Member+

flashy; the best type of potato to grow in this way is a( main crop potato), such as  ( desire ) which is a red potato, or( king edward ), which is white with a red tinge...I grow potatoes in this way every year. you can get seed potatoes at wilkingsons if there is one in accy? place 4" of soil or compost in the bottom , place 4 or 5 potatoes in, then cover with about 5" of compost or soil , water in .When the shoots show ,leave them until they are about 5" tall , then place another 4 or 5 potatoes in between and just cover them to just under the leaves of the first lot . then , once a week just put in more compost till the tub is full.leave about 2" to 3" to water. give them as much sunlight as you can.
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 19:48   #9
God Member

thanx Ken thanx Retlaw and thanx David, i'm going to go to the range on Thursday and buy some grow bags cos like i said the soil here is crap

PANTHER you dont need a garden to grow veg ya noodle...mine aint going in the ground, i'm using a large tub, which incidentally is Reece's old toy box
Old 04-02-2008, 19:57   #10
God Member

When you cook your first crop I'll have a sirloin steak with mine

www.ubuntu.com

Old 04-02-2008, 19:58   #11
Senior Member+

Dont plant them until all danger of frost has passed . Usually the end of march or the begining of april . If the frost hits them they will die. So dont be too eager to plant them!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 19:58   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
When you cook your first crop I'll have a sirloin steak with mine

lol your welcome to it Ken, as long as you buy the steak
Old 04-02-2008, 19:59   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1 View Post
Dont plant them until all danger of frost has passed . Usually the end of march or the begining of april . If the frost hits them they will die. So dont be too eager to plant them!!!

so i have to wait LONGER? i dont like waiting for anything, i'm too impatient for that, i like things NOW
Old 04-02-2008, 20:13   #14
Senior Member+

you will be getting this post moved to over 18s off my big brother, keep talking like that!
Old 05-02-2008, 06:07   #15
Resting in Peace

to improve your soil you'll need plenty of compost or well rotted horse manure.

if you go that way spuds are the best crop to use to improve your soil.

as you have to dig to put the seeds in, earth them up, weed round them and then dig them out that breaks up the soil
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..