Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Springhill Spot
Donate! Join Today

Springhill Spot A forum running in conjunction with Springhill Spotlight. Give your opinions on what is happening in your area. Air your views and grievances. Put forward ideas on how we can improve Springhill

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2004, 15:18   #31
mez
God Member

Re: Phoenix Project

is this some ploy for council tenants to vote for the takeover to happen im begining to wonder?
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2004, 22:07   #32
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinaccy
Anyone any news of this Phoenix Project.
Despite rumours that the HBC have run out of money for project "Phoenix" I have great news for all! I was driving down Blackburn Road, Accy today and saw two workmen renovating a disused property!!

Yesterday, this house was a sad sight, windows and door boarded up and painted a dirty white colour........And today, those tired old boards have been given a much needed face-lift! Yes, they have been painted black

What a refreshing change......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gate_wall 002.JPG (34.9 KB, 59 views)
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2004, 23:41   #33

They painted up a boarded house? Is this house for demolition?
Ifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 17:43   #34
Senior Member+

Phoenix Project

Hyndburn Council were forced to put this high profile regeneration scheme on the back-boiler after it was rocked by a funding crisis (FUNDING! CRISIS! Hm, seems to be a subject which keeps rearing its ugly head, eh?

According to yesterdays papers, £820,000 has been secured from English Partnerships, a national regeneration company, to help get the scheme back on track!
Plans to buy homes in West Accrington for demolition were put on hold when the North West Development Agency, known as NWDA, pulled £600,000 out of Project Phoenix, leaving the residents wondering what on earth would be happening. Apparently if you live in that area, you get offered £30,000 relocation grants. Some residents have already moved, but more than 100 homes have remained unpurchased so any plans the owners had, went "out of the window". Now they can, hopefully, start planning again. Good luck to them, I would HATE to HAVE to move home, eh?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 11:31   #35
Resting in Peace

This shop has been going from 1944 its a little hardware shop on Blackburn rd
its not much to look at but you can get anything there from a DOLLY BLUE to a METAL GARDEN RIDDLE and its allways cheap .
This is one of the shops comming down under the PROJECT PHENIX its a shame really
the guy who runs it says when they buy it then he will retire he has had enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shop.jpg (74.3 KB, 62 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 14:01   #36
God Member

you mean he still sells Dolly Blue??? I didn't know they still made it. Why didn't you post this before I went out this morning? Now I will have to go over that end again tomorrow.
Old 15-10-2004, 14:49   #37
Resident Waffler

Crikey! I didn't know that shop was still open!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2004, 07:44   #38
God Member

Well, I paid a visit on Tuesday morning. My God! It's just like stepping back into the 1950's. The shop is tiny and to say that it is cluttered would be an understatement. How he has managed to keep going is beyond me. No Dolly Blue though.
Old 23-10-2004, 08:30   #39
Resting in Peace

He must be running his stock down ready for closing down
shame .
i will see if he will let me take some pics inside next time i'm there
sorry about the dolly blue though
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 12:44   #40
God Member

That master of Hubris, Nigel Rix, the Director of Hyndburn First, the regeneration arm of Hyndburn Borough Council and the body charged with implementing "Project Phoenix". Stood up in front of the assembled Council last week and calmly delivered himself of the following announcement...

"On the basis of current cost estimates, taking into account inflation in house prices over the last twelve months, it is still likely the council will face a funding shortfall of approximately £500,000 towards the end of the next financial year"

So it seems that this Phoenix is doomed never to rise from the ashes. And was there even one word of criticism for Rix from our assembled Borough Councillors? What do you think!

There was criticism from the Chairman of the Residents Association, as you might expect. Who observed that millions of pounds of Government money had come into Hyndburn over the last three or four years and most of it has been spent on salaries or consultants. Rix's response: "Have you seen the Sure Start Centre? Have you looked at the Globe Centre which provided new jobs? About £1.5 million has been put into buying and knocking down homes, and that's not gone on salaries and consultants."

As I said, he is a master of Hubris. And as such, is incapable of admitting that he hasn't got a clue what he is doing, where this project is going or why he should resign.

It is up to the people of Hyndburn, whose lives and futures he is ruining, to enlighten him.
Old 21-10-2009, 11:49   #41

Where can i see the plans for the phoenix project
jeanjeannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:42   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanjeannie View Post
Where can i see the plans for the phoenix project
You can see them at the council offices on Scaitcliffe St
vicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..