Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/accy-pop-groups-1960s-42082.html)

ShadowTrev 01-08-2010 09:01

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Hiya Alan, have you viewed the old Scorchers photos I've put on & has it brought back happy memories of that day. Trev.

jaysay 01-08-2010 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by dublomad (Post 832900)
Hi Trev. I have the same clip from the Observer. Loads of others too, along with lots of photos. Think I'll get my son to put them on for me, save me losing my patience. We never got to the Cavern, but were never away from Nelson Imp in 68 and 69, also did the twisted wheel in Manchester a couple of times with the Brian Auger Trinity. I'll see if I can dig those photos and clippings out. Cheers, Tony.

Mentioning the Brian Auger Trinity (with Julie Driscoll) didn't they once play the Cavern in Accy:confused:

jaysay 01-08-2010 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 832971)
Here you are jaysay, Just got an email from my brother, He's alive & well,still playing drums,

Well I saw him two years ago Alan as the group he was playing with (Tatters) used to rehearse in Ossy Con on a Thursday Night, and we had a few pints together, but I ain't been in the con for over two years now so lost contact with him again

dublomad 01-08-2010 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 833021)
Mentioning the Brian Auger Trinity (with Julie Driscoll) didn't they once play the Cavern in Accy:confused:

Hi Jaysay. We played the Cavern in Accy with Wynder K Frog, things are a bit misty now, but I think Julie Driscol and the Trinity were there the previous week. There was a guy there from the Twisted Wheel looking for some acts and he was the one responsible for getting us the gigs in Manchester. You will have to forgive me if it's a bit vague! Tony

dublomad 01-08-2010 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowTrev (Post 832916)
Hiya Tony, If I'm honest it was my son Dale[he's a guitarist too]that helped me to put those old photo's on this site! Trev.

Hi Trev. Sounds like deja vu. My youngest son Darren is a singer and guitarist (far better than me at both! although it wouldn't be difficult to be a better guitarist than me!!).Tony.

dublomad 01-08-2010 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowTrev (Post 833004)
Hiya Alan, have you viewed the old Scorchers photos I've put on & has it brought back happy memories of that day. Trev.

Hiya Trev. Love the Scorchers photos. Who made the transition from Gideons Ways to the Scorchers. We played with you, as the Scorchers on the 26th March 1965 at St. Augustines in Huncoat, I'd just turned 15, and according to my write up, we were quite excited! Apparently you also had some really good gear lots of Vox amps etc.
We then played with Gideons on the 23rd of September at the Catholic Youth Club, so I presume that somewhere in-between this 6 months period you made the change. All the best Tony

ShadowTrev 01-08-2010 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by dublomad (Post 833064)
Hiya Trev. Love the Scorchers photos. Who made the transition from Gideons Ways to the Scorchers. We played with you, as the Scorchers on the 26th March 1965 at St. Augustines in Huncoat, I'd just turned 15, and according to my write up, we were quite excited! Apparently you also had some really good gear lots of Vox amps etc.
We then played with Gideons on the 23rd of September at the Catholic Youth Club, so I presume that somewhere in-between this 6 months period you made the change. All the best Tony

Hiya Tony, I think we all thought "Scorchers"sounded a bit tacky so we'll go up market with "Gid's"I like both now. I can't remember loads of the gig's we'd played,I was talking to Dave Robinson's[Gid's bass]this week, mentioned this site to him he reminded me of a gig we'd done with"The Rocking Vicars"that he'd gone to, it's news to me! When I'd managed to persuade my mum&dad to upgrade from my £2-50p acoustic to an electric guitar["Rosetti solid seven in turqoise sunburst- nice eh?]but no amp, I ran it through my record-player and then decided to use the old wireless[Marconi wood veneered valve job from the 50's] Dave did the same as me for his bass,we used to carry them from our homes on the streets to Ayrty's[Scorchers managers]parents greengrocers shop on Blackburn Rd. Clayton where we practised above the shop,we got nicknamed "The Wireless Brigade". When I got my 1st proper amp["Watkins Dominator"17watts ] the mikes went through it as-well as my guitar,quite a mushy sound! Our parents took us all to Reidys on the same day to buy us better gear,Ian,- Hofner Verithin guitar&Vox ac30 amp &chrome stand,Dave,Hofner Beatle bass guitar&Vox T60 amp& I got a 2nd hand Burns Vibra Artist[£65guineas]&Vox ac30 Top boost& chrome stand[wish I still had it, sold to a music shop in Germany the day before I was flying home]I can picture it now speaker cloth flapping as we played "Born to be Wild"with the volume set on full,good memories. Rock on, Trev.

jaysay 01-08-2010 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowTrev (Post 833087)
Hiya Tony, I think we all thought "Scorchers"sounded a bit tacky so we'll go up market with "God's"I like both now. I can't remember loads of the gig's we'd played,I was talking to Dave Robinson's[Gid's bass]this week, mentioned this site to him he reminded me of a gig we'd done with"The Rocking Vicars"that he'd gone to, it's news to me! When I'd managed to persuade my mum&dad to upgrade from my £2-50p acoustic to an electric guitar["Rosetti solid seven in turqoise sunburst- nice eh?]but no amp, I ran it through my record-player and then decided to use the old wireless[Marconi wood veneered valve job from the 50's] Dave did the same as me for his bass,we used to carry them from our homes on the streets to Arty's[Scorchers managers]parents greengrocers shop on Blackburn Rd. Clayton where we practised above the shop,we got nicknamed "The Wireless Brigade". When I got my 1st proper amp["Watkins Dominator"17watts ] the mikes went through it as-well as my guitar,quite a mushy sound! Our parents took us all to Reidys on the same day to buy us better gear,Ian,- Hofner Verithin guitar&Vox ac30 amp &chrome stand,Dave,Hofner Beatle bass guitar&Vox T60 amp& I got a 2nd hand Burns Vibra Artist[£65guineas]&Vox ac30 Top boost& chrome stand[wish I still had it, sold to a music shop in Germany the day before I was flying home]I can picture it now speaker cloth flapping as we played "Born to be Wild"with the volume set on full,good memories. Rock on, Trev.

If I remember rightly Trev the Rossetti was a really nice looking machine their only fault as I recall was they tended to be high fretted.
In passing do you recall a band which were about in he early 70s called Ray Landon and the Midnight Hour, the lead guitarist was called Henry can't remember his surname, live over West End in Ossy, the guy who formed the band was called Brandon, lived up Shad can't remember his surname either

ShadowTrev 01-08-2010 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 833091)
If I remember rightly Trev the Rossetti was a really nice looking machine their only fault as I recall was they tended to be high fretted.
In passing do you recall a band which were about in he early 70s called Ray Landon and the Midnight Hour, the lead guitarist was called Henry can't remember his surname, live over West End in Ossy, the guy who formed the band was called Brandon, lived up Shad can't remember his surname either

Hiya Jaysay,Yes you're right about the Rossetti the neck had'nt even got any camber on it,I fitted a tremolo arm to it I'd got 2nd hand from Reidy's[I bet it was Brian Grooby from Music Box that sold it me] I think I was a bit too over enthusiastic one day in front of the rest of the band I snapped the metal tailpiece,they laughted a lot I can tell you,dad welded it back for me. I played with one of Midnight Hour's many different line- up's in the early 70's,Brendan Cook was the singer, Derek Southward was drumming I'm sure he lived off Thwaites Rd.then moved to Clayton right opposite to me when he got married. I took over from Rod Hill,Brendan did a fair impression of Noddy Holder's vocals if I remember right.

ShadowTrev 01-08-2010 21:16

Hello to you all, phoned Geof other guitarist in band today he tells me Pete Hibberts is in Addison court, is it up Burnley Rd. way?he hasn't seen him recently so we don't know how he's doing. Best wishes Trev.

cashman 01-08-2010 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowTrev (Post 833161)
Hello to you all, phoned Geof other guitarist in band today he tells me Pete Hibberts is in Addison court, is it up Burnley Rd. way?he hasn't seen him recently so we don't know how he's doing. Best wishes Trev.

Pete was in the one up Thwaites Rd Ossy last year Trev, Tommy Franks had been up to see him. if hes moved i don't know? will ask Tommy,next time i see him.

ShadowTrev 01-08-2010 21:39

Hiya Cashy, yeh you're right he was in Ossy Geof had been to see him there, I don't know how he knows that he's moved? Trev.

jaysay 02-08-2010 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowTrev (Post 833105)
Hiya Jaysay,Yes you're right about the Rossetti the neck had'nt even got any camber on it,I fitted a tremolo arm to it I'd got 2nd hand from Reidy's[I bet it was Brian Grooby from Music Box that sold it me] I think I was a bit too over enthusiastic one day in front of the rest of the band I snapped the metal tailpiece,they laughted a lot I can tell you,dad welded it back for me. I played with one of Midnight Hour's many different line- up's in the early 70's,Brendan Cook was the singer, Derek Southward was drumming I'm sure he lived off Thwaites Rd.then moved to Clayton right opposite to me when he got married. I took over from Rod Hill,Brendan did a fair impression of Noddy Holder's vocals if I remember right.

Hi Trev, Derek Southworth jammed with us for a bit, then just when we were ready to hit the road Brendan decided to reform the Hour:mad:and Derek left, he actually lived on Tennyson venue about 5 doors up from my first wife, married a lass call Mavis Challener who lived at Fields Farm top of Hawthorn Avenue in Ossy. When I first saw the Hour the lead guitar was called Henry lived over west end too, he was with us with Derek, but after he left we were a bit disheartened, plus I decided to get married, and that as they say was end of story:D

ShadowTrev 02-08-2010 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 833253)
Hi Trev, Derek Southworth jammed with us for a bit, then just when we were ready to hit the road Brendan decided to reform the Hour:mad:and Derek left, he actually lived on Tennyson venue about 5 doors up from my first wife, married a lass call Mavis Challener who lived at Fields Farm top of Hawthorn Avenue in Ossy. When I first saw the Hour the lead guitar was called Henry lived over west end too, he was with us with Derek, but after he left we were a bit disheartened, plus I decided to get married, and that as they say was end of story:D

Hiya Jaysay, Derek lived right across the road from us, he's still there, we moved 11yrs ago after living there about 20yrs,spoke to him a few weeks ago, he's doing o.k. sadly Mavis has died. Had your band a name? Trev.

cashman 02-08-2010 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowTrev (Post 833398)
Hiya Jaysay, Derek lived right across the road from us, he's still there, we moved 11yrs ago after living there about 20yrs,spoke to him a few weeks ago, he's doing o.k. sadly Mavis has died. Had your band a name? Trev.

Band probably should been Air Supply Trev.:D;)