Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 21:57   #1
Senior Member+

Air Rifles!

Back in the 70's the law's on owning and using air weapons was very lax - these days the law has been tightened up massively and carrying one without clear permission to use it in a safe place can lead to fines. Using one in a public place can lead to prison, using one in a garden can also lead to fines/prison - not so in the care free 70's!

I had a few .77 pistols and a Webley .22 rifle - anyone else had any air weapons?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-03-2012, 22:14   #2
JFT96

Re: Air Rifles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Back in the 70's the law's on owning and using air weapons was very lax - these days the law has been tightened up massively and carrying one without clear permission to use it in a safe place can lead to fines. Using one in a public place can lead to prison, using one in a garden can also lead to fines/prison - not so in the care free 70's!

I had a few .77 pistols and a Webley .22 rifle - anyone else had any air weapons?

Yawn...you again.
Okay I did not have a Air Weapon, but I was nearly blinded in by one in my Right Eye back in the late 70's, another centimetre and I would look like Long John Silver, jim lad.
So would you like to explain why you have a issues with the law these days?

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 22:43   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Yawn...you again.
Okay I did not have a Air Weapon, but I was nearly blinded in by one in my Right Eye back in the late 70's, another centimetre and I would look like Long John Silver, jim lad.
So would you like to explain why you have a issues with the law these days?
Yawn! Why you bother replying then?
A lot of people have stories of that kind of thing you were lucky!
I'm just commenting how things have changed - from being able to walk in a public place with one uncovered - to now the following...

Offence Penalties: Statute Law

The Penalties for breaking current UK firearms laws with Airguns are as follows:-
Carrying a loaded Air-weapon in a public place 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine.
Trespassing with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.
Trespassing on private land with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.
Possessing or using an air weapon if sentenced to 3 months or more in custody 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.
In addition if original sentence up to 3 years 5 year ban on use of firearms.
Or if for 3 years or more Life ban on use of firearms.
Killing or injuring any bird or protected animal unless authorised £5,000 fine.
Firing an air weapon within 15m / 50ft of a public highway £1,000 fine.
Selling or hiring air weapon or ammunition to person under 18 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine.
Making a gift of air weapon or ammunition to person under 14 £1,000 fine.
Having air weapon or ammunition with intent to damage property 10 years imprisonment.
Having air weapon with intent to endanger life Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
Using air weapon to resist or prevent arrest Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
Threatening others with an air weapon (even if unloaded) to cause them to fear unlawful violence 10 years imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
Not forgetting the chance of being shot and killed by the police should you not obey instructions when challenged by them, they cannot tell if you have just an airgun or a more lethal firearm so will treat all arms as lethal and respond accordingly.

Last edited by kestrelx; 10-03-2012 at 22:48.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 22:51   #4

My dad was shot and blinded in one eye when he was in his early teens. I have no interest in air guns or rifles.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:54   #5
JFT96

Quote:
Yawn! Why you bother replying then?
A lot of people have stories of that kind of thing you were lucky!
I'm just commenting how things have changed - from being able to walk in a public place with one uncovered - to now the following...

Offence Penalties: Statute Law

The Penalties for breaking current UK firearms laws with Airguns are as follows:-
Carrying a loaded Air-weapon in a public place 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine.
Trespassing with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.
Trespassing on private land with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.
Possessing or using an air weapon if sentenced to 3 months or more in custody 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.
In addition if original sentence up to 3 years 5 year ban on use of firearms.
Or if for 3 years or more Life ban on use of firearms.
Killing or injuring any bird or protected animal unless authorised £5,000 fine.
Firing an air weapon within 15m / 50ft of a public highway £1,000 fine.
Selling or hiring air weapon or ammunition to person under 18 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine.
Making a gift of air weapon or ammunition to person under 14 £1,000 fine.
Having air weapon or ammunition with intent to damage property 10 years imprisonment.
Having air weapon with intent to endanger life Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
Using air weapon to resist or prevent arrest Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
Threatening others with an air weapon (even if unloaded) to cause them to fear unlawful violence 10 years imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
Not forgetting the chance of being shot and killed by the police should you not obey instructions when challenged by them, they cannot tell if you have just an airgun or a more lethal firearm so will treat all arms as lethal and respond accordingly.
And there's good reason why you cannot walk in public with one. Good .
But due to your warped view on the world we are all wrong but your right

Old 11-03-2012, 07:05   #6
JFT96

So let me get this right.... You miss being able to carry a Air Weapon in public, loaded or otherwise. You would like to be able to grow your own cannabis and the goverment is out to get us, anyone who challenges you is part of the 'accyweb maffya'.

If you ask me, or any right thinking person, it looks like successive Goverments have made the right decisions.
If you wish to carry a gun in public, why don't you move to the USA on of he southern states would be best.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:02   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:

The laws have been tightened up because of planks like you,who have a total disregard for gun safety.Also todays air weapons are considerably more powerful and therefore more deadly than the" carefree 70's" models many of them being able to attain over the 12ftlb limit , which then makes them subject to firearms certification.One last point guns are not toys and should only be used by responsible adults/people so that counts you out
Old 11-03-2012, 09:06   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
The laws have been tightened up because of planks like you,who have a total disregard for gun safety.Also today's air weapons are considerably more powerful and therefore more deadly than the" carefree 70's" models many of them being able to attain over the 12 ft lb limit , which then makes them subject to firearms certification.One last point guns are not toys and should only be used by responsible adults/people so that counts you out
You can write my speeches for me Dave, can't fault anything you've said there mate
Old 11-03-2012, 09:18   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You can write my speeches for me Dave, can't fault anything you've said there mate
God no,

Don't you dare change your scripts, you're simplistic views and natural typo's are what make you so popular.

Stick to what you think you know.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:21   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
My dad was shot and blinded in one eye when he was in his early teens. I have no interest in air guns or rifles.

as was my cousin when her so called friend was shooting one
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:12   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
God no,

Don't you dare change your scripts, you're simplistic views and natural typo's are what make you so popular.

Okay then just for you Less
Old 11-03-2012, 10:14   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
God no,

And there was me thinking it was because of my rational thinking and nous Less
Old 11-03-2012, 20:21   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
The laws have been tightened up because of planks like you,who have a total disregard for gun safety.
You have no idea if he has total disregard for gun safety from what he has said.

Quote:
Also todays air weapons are considerably more powerful and therefore more deadly than the" carefree 70's" models many of them being able to attain over the 12ftlb limit , which then makes them subject to firearms certification.One last point guns are not toys and should only be used by responsible adults/people so that counts you out
That is utter rubbish.
Air weapons are no more powerful now than when I had my first one at 15 ish.
They may or may not be more accurate now, that depends on how good a shot you are as pre-charged tend to require less skill to shoot with good repeatability.

The legal limit for air weapons has been 6 ft/lbs for pistols and 12 ft/lbs for air rifles since at least 1969 without a firearms certificate as you state. Why you mention many of them require a firearm certificate I dont know as that applies to other rifles, shotguns, hand guns etc
Old 11-03-2012, 20:53   #14
Senior Member+

Neil, you can have an air rifle spec'd well over 12 ft/lbs, in fact if you're doing vermin control thats what you need to do the job cleanly. However you do need an FAC to have one.
No air weapon/firearm should ever be carried round without being in a secure carry case- its not the accuracy, it's not the power, its the fact that even a low powered air weapon discharged close to someone can do serious damage- see the above posts. Whether the discharge is accidental or intentional the damage is the same. Nor should any weapon ever have any load in it unless it's in controlled use-then it can't go off, even accidentally.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 20:59   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Yawn...you again.
Did it hit the parrot?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..