Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 14:47   #31

Re: Air Rifles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
My daughter's friend lost an eye when she was in her early teens because of someone firing an air rifle.
Kestrelx the more I hear from you the more concerned I become.
Actually, Anne, I don't think there's much wrong with Post 29. Unless I'm reading it wrong, I don't think Kestrel is suggesting the law is too strict.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-03-2012, 15:02   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
My daughter's friend lost an eye when she was in her early teens because of someone firing an air rifle.
I know someone who lost an eye playing squash.
Old 12-03-2012, 17:52   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
There is nothing to Rebut!!! (except if you want to be argumentative!?) Fact is in the 70's the Police didn't give a lot about air rifles unless there was an obvious incident with one, like a deliberate wounding with one! But if you were walking round a football pitch shooting tin cans they would not intervene! These days you'd proably get a rapid response arms unit on the scene within 10 mins!
No probably about it, the bottom line being why would you want to walk around a football field shooting at tin cans, when it's been highlighted what happens so many times, if you do you must have some sort of a death wish
Old 12-03-2012, 19:24   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
You've got the wrong end of the stick dear! What are you talking about I am just pointing out the fact that in the 70's there were no tough laws enforced on air guns! What do you think I'm advocating; we should all be able to walk round with air guns! THEN READ AGAIN YOU GOT IT WRONG!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 19:26   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No probably about it, the bottom line being why would you want to walk around a football field shooting at tin cans, when it's been highlighted what happens so many times, if you do you must have some sort of a death wish
Err hello Bozo - I am talking about the 70's not now, as a mere nod to nostalgia - you ought to have your glasses checked and re-read what I have said!
Old 12-03-2012, 19:48   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I know someone who lost an eye playing squash.
It's just come to mind former PM Gordon Brown lost an eye playing Rugby!
Old 12-03-2012, 19:51   #37
God Member

Umbrellas can be lethal weapons too

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 21:45   #38

Just to start off with I would appreciate you not calling me dear, I don't like being patronised.
I don't think you are advocating that we should all be walking about with guns but I find it very strange and somewhat concerning that you should look back with nostalgia to a time when you were able to walk around with a weapon which has the potential to cause harm, and unlike umbrellas and squash rackets is made for no other purpose than to cause harm, and I find it odd that you feel sufficiently nostalgic about it that you choose to start a thread about it. Combined with some of your other posts which have varied between a bigoted attitude, dummy spitting and downright name calling I do wonder about your attitude in general and what your motives might be.
I've decided that I'm not going to respond to any more of your posts because they all go round in circles as you try to gain the upper ground, and I think you may have a hidden agenda.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 22:33   #39
I am Banned

Quote:
Just to start off with I would appreciate you not calling me dear, I don't like being patronised.
I don't think you are advocating that we should all be walking about with guns but I find it very strange and somewhat concerning that you should look back with nostalgia to a time when you were able to walk around with a weapon which has the potential to cause harm, and unlike umbrellas and squash rackets is made for no other purpose than to cause harm, and I find it odd that you feel sufficiently nostalgic about it that you choose to start a thread about it. Combined with some of your other posts which have varied between a bigoted attitude, dummy spitting and downright name calling I do wonder about your attitude in general and what your motives might be.
I've decided that I'm not going to respond to any more of your posts because they all go round in circles as you try to gain the upper ground, and I think you may have a hidden agenda.
Don't bother about it Anne, If I wanted to be as nostalgic as him, I could go back to the 1930's before the Firearms Act, lots of people had some sort of firearm in them days, and thought nowt about it, a lot of them were souveniers from ww1, when the Firearms act came in hundred of firearms were got rid of, canals, lakes, deep wells, etc.
He's just a wind up merchant.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 23:37   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Good I hope you don't reply to any of my posts, you are totally paranoid!

I am simply discussing this as a historical fact - how the law has changed so much! I don't need over sensitive people like you posting in response to this! It's quite obvious you are a social worker by your attitude!

Fact is back in the 70's airguns were available by mail order from catalogues such as Littlewoods and the like and many people who went angling also had an airgun! You are just being so over sensitive and it's probaly the likes of you that have made this country so politically correct, banning things like playing conkers and other things that kids used to do - now have been banned by health and safety nutts! I am not saying airguns are like conkers but I am saying there are people out there who want to ban everything! They don't want kids to climb trees or play in the fields like they used to, just want them to be molly coddled and kept indoors etc etc!

Last edited by kestrelx; 12-03-2012 at 23:45.
Old 13-03-2012, 00:01   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
As it happens I agree with the current laws on Airguns and that they should not be freely used in public places etc - we live in different times today and i would think more youngsters would abuse them today than they did in the 70s! Finally I find you odd, that you think it's odd I am starting this thread because airguns were very common in use back then - so I don't see why you got a bee in your bonnet about this - or are you trying to censor the past?

Last edited by kestrelx; 13-03-2012 at 00:06.
Old 17-03-2012, 17:57   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
You have no idea if he has total disregard for gun safety from what he has said.

That is utter rubbish.
Air weapons are no more powerful now than when I had my first one at 15 ish.
They may or may not be more accurate now, that depends on how good a shot you are as pre-charged tend to require less skill to shoot with good repeatability.

The legal limit for air weapons has been 6 ft/lbs for pistols and 12 ft/lbs for air rifles since at least 1969 without a firearms certificate as you state. Why you mention many of them require a firearm certificate I dont know as that applies to other rifles, shotguns, hand guns etc
Actually a neighbour of mine died several years ago and his wife gave me his air pistol. It's one of these on the link but .22 a CO2 propelled one. Did some target practice with it on a friends land - unfortunately where you put the pellets has broken - it still fires but I have to hold it shut, which hampers correct aiming.

Daisy Powerline 617x Pellet Gun Air Pistols

Last edited by kestrelx; 17-03-2012 at 17:59.
Old 17-03-2012, 18:41   #43
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
.....I don't think you are advocating that we should all be walking about with guns but I find it very strange and somewhat concerning that you should look back with nostalgia to a time when you were able to walk around with a weapon which has the potential to cause harm, and unlike umbrellas and squash rackets is made for no other purpose than to cause harm......
I don't agree that air rifles are made for no other purpose than to cause harm. You can cause harm with almost any item, the difference is down a person deciding if they want to cause harm or not.

I suspect that most air rifle in this country are used for target shooting.

An air rifle is not designed to shoot people, it is for vermin control and anything bigger than a rabbit should not be shot with an air rifle under 12 ft/lbs and then only at a maximum distance of about 30 yards.

If I wanted to kill someone the last thing I would use is an air rifle, I would be better off using it as a club than shooting them.

The problem with our gun laws in the UK is that they are made by politicians reacting to gun crime incidents that have happened. They should be made by unbiased people who are not trying to get re elected. Since the ban on legal hand gun ownership gun crime has increased not decreased. It was a complete waste of money by the government of the time and any intelligent person must have known that at the time.
Old 17-03-2012, 19:10   #44
Resting in Peace

Did you read the article in the Observer this week, about the shooting of pet ducks.... a good reason for laws on this.

Police hunt for thugs who shot dead nine ducks | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 19:15   #45
Resting In Peace

Quote:
The problem with our gun laws in the UK is that they are made by politicians reacting to gun crime incidents that have happened. They should be made by unbiased people who are not trying to get re elected. Since the ban on legal hand gun ownership gun crime has increased not decreased. It was a complete waste of money by the government of the time and any intelligent person must have known that at the time.
Hear hear Neil, very well said.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..