Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2010, 21:20   #1

Holidays with Mum and Dad, way back then!

Our family went to Morecambe every year cause that's all they could afford. Tried every method, again which they could afford, tent, caravan, flat and guesthouse. Again it never rained, did the only time we went to Blackpool. Back in the 50's Morcambe had everything and more. 2 piers, 2 fairgrounds, an old pirate ship and truckloads of places to go crabbin! Both gone now but thanks again Mum and Dad for all the times you managed to get us away when you had nowt!! xx
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-02-2010, 23:50   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Holidays with Mum and Dad, way back then!

We went to Pilling a couple of times and stayed in a caravan. One year when they must have been a bit flush they took us to a boarding house in Douglas, Isle of Man.

I have vague memories but happy ones x

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:30   #3
Senior Member+

Middleton Towers holiday camp, seems like a lifetime ago.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:30   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Middleton Towers holiday camp, seems like a lifetime ago.
Middleton Towers.. the one with the big concrete ship ??
brilliant..the place is now a gated retirement village well posh...ish

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:20   #5
Resting in Peace

Always went to the Costa Del Roughit (Blackpool) with ma and pa when I was a kid, the year before I got Married my intended and Parents went to Saundersfoot, near Tenby, very nice place
Old 06-02-2010, 10:46   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Here's one I wrote earlier:-

Oh I do like to bomb beside the seaside!

One bank holiday weekend it was off to the caravan park for the weekend.
My brother and I had built a very large kite the week before and couldn't wait to fly it. It worked first time up it soared no problem absolutely stable! Perhaps if it hadn't worked straight away, our time would have been filled with making minor changes to the balance, instead we decided to see what we could lift with it.
we tried a variety of objects but none were as ambitious as the final experiment, I had one of those yogi bear punch bags which had a heavy weight at the bottom of it so that it always returned to the upright position.
Not a problem to our kite, up went yogi as if he weighed nothing at all.
Then disaster struck, the string attaching yogi to the kite snapped, down he plummeted straight through the sun roof of one of the caravans! The kite relieved of the extra weight immediatley soared up into the heavens and was well away from the accident.
The occupier of the caravan came running out with yogi under his arm looking all around him trying to work out where this damn thing had come from.
the only thing he could see were two innocent young lads hundreds of yards away intensely watching their kite, after a while he went back in, we wound in the string and 'legged it' vowing not fly it again that weekend just in case.
So if the owner of that caravan is reading this, SORRY! but I bet it looked good on your insurance claim form!

Right thats it for now, see you all again sometime maybe next bankholiday!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 16:01   #7
Senior Member+

We used to Alternate between Blackpool one year and Rhyl the next, or if we were occasionally flush, we had 2 weeks at one of those in July and a week at the other in Sept.

We did once try Bridlington though went on train...took 6 hours as i recall, and was only time we had never booked accomodation before we went. This probably worked in our favour in the end, as for some reason we decide we didn't like the look of brid, and got a train up to Scarborough, and just managed to sort some digs out as it was getting dark!

Have good memories of childhood hols! No matter how poor we were, Mum and Dad always managed to take me away, at least for a week. I remember my Dad once saying the total spending money they had left over for our Hols was £5 on one occasion! You'd just about get a Coffee and a Bun for that now!! We did always get to see shows, and go on coach trips to, when money was available. Seen many Artistes such as Joseph Locke, Val Doonican, Donald Peers, Dick Emery, Dickie Valantine, Frankie Vaughn, Hylda Baker, Morcambe and Wise, Kenn Dodd, Roy Orbison, The Dallas Boys, Jimmy Clitheroe,The Baron Knights, Freddy Starr, Les Dawson etc etc. Happy Days!

Best Regards - Taggy

Last edited by Taggy; 06-02-2010 at 16:07.
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:43   #8

Bloody hell I forgot all those names sent shivers down my spine.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 13:02   #9

in the 50's alway's fleetwood with grandparents good time's and very happy memories
nortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:03   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
We used to Alternate between Blackpool one year and Rhyl the next, or if we were occasionally flush, we had 2 weeks at one of those in July and a week at the other in Sept.

We did once try Bridlington though went on train...took 6 hours as i recall, and was only time we had never booked accommodation before we went. This probably worked in our favour in the end, as for some reason we decide we didn't like the look of bride, and got a train up to Scarborough, and just managed to sort some digs out as it was getting dark!

Have good memories of childhood hols! No matter how poor we were, Mum and Dad always managed to take me away, at least for a week. I remember my Dad once saying the total spending money they had left over for our Hols was £5 on one occasion! You'd just about get a Coffee and a Bun for that now!! We did always get to see shows, and go on coach trips to, when money was available. Seen many Artistes such as Joseph Locke, Val Doonican, Donald Peers, Dick Emery, Dickie Valentine, Frankie Vaughn, Hylda Baker, Morecambe and Wise, Kenn Dodd, Roy Orbison, The Dallas Boys, Jimmy Clitheroe,The Baron Knights, Freddy Starr, Les Dawson etc etc. Happy Days!

Best Regards - Taggy
When I went to Blackpool with Mum and Dad we always went to shows nearly every night North Pier, Opera House, Winter Gardens Pavilion ABC Theatre, Tower Circus, so the likes of Tommy Cooper, Bruce Forsyth, Matt Munroe, Shirley Bassey ect, but always felt Friday night free for a blast on the Pleasure Beach
Old 08-02-2010, 14:49   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
When I went to Blackpool with Mum and Dad we always went to shows nearly every night North Pier, Opera House, Winter Gardens Pavilion ABC Theatre, Tower Circus, so the likes of Tommy Cooper, Bruce Forsyth, Matt Munroe, Shirley Bassey ect, but always felt Friday night free for a blast on the Pleasure Beach
I used to love going on Pleasure Beach too, still used to like having a walk round there up untill recently....you cant just walk round anymore i believe they charge just to go on now. Thats going to make it harder for parents today, my Mum and Dad used to take me on there 2 or 3 times each hol, but just went on 1 or 2 rides each time, that way it was split up over the week...folk arn't going to be able to afford to do that now!

A few other names i can reacall seeing there are Dickie Henderson, Joe "Mr Piano" Henderson, Hope and Keen, Jo Jac and Joni, Ken Platt, Jewell and Warriss, Moira Anderson, Kenneth McKellar, Ronnie Hilton and Freddy "Parrot Face" Davies.

I was probably about 7 or 8 the first time i saw Ken Dodd in Blackpool, my lad still thinks he's great and we are going to see him again at the Grand Theatre in November, cant be too many people you could go and see at the Theatre these days 45 years after you first saw them can there?? A true Legend is Doddy!!

Best Regards - Taggy

Last edited by Taggy; 08-02-2010 at 14:51.
Old 08-02-2010, 15:14   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I used to love going on Pleasure Beach too, still used to like having a walk round there up until recently....you cant just walk round anymore i believe they charge just to go on now. That's going to make it harder for parents today, my Mum and Dad used to take me on there 2 or 3 times each hol, but just went on 1 or 2 rides each time, that way it was split up over the week...folk arn't going to be able to afford to do that now!

A few other names i can recall seeing there are Dickie Henderson, Joe "Mr Piano" Henderson, Hope and Keen, Jo Jac and Joni, Ken Platt, Jewell and Warriss, Moira Anderson, Kenneth McKellar, Ronnie Hilton and Freddy "Parrot Face" Davies.

I was probably about 7 or 8 the first time i saw Ken Dodd in Blackpool, my lad still thinks he's great and we are going to see him again at the Grand Theatre in November, cant be too many people you could go and see at the Theatre these days 45 years after you first saw them can there?? A true Legend is Diddy!!

Best Regards - Taggy
There's a TV ad running at the moment Taggy, saying you can buy cheap pay bands on the Internet for weekends from the end of Feb until it opens fully or the season, I believe its an arm and a leg to use the Pleasure Beach now
Old 08-02-2010, 16:23   #13
God Member

Quote:
Seen many Artistes such as Joseph Locke, Val Doonican, Donald Peers, Dick Emery, Dickie Valantine, Frankie Vaughn, Hylda Baker, Morcambe and Wise, Kenn Dodd, Roy Orbison, The Dallas Boys, Jimmy Clitheroe,The Baron Knights, Freddy Starr, Les Dawson etc etc. Happy Days!

Best Regards - Taggy
Thanks Taggy, for reminding those of us who remember the above artistes how old we have become

I'm thinking that 'summer shows' same artist playing the same resort all summer must have started dying out in the mid 60s

Al Gilmartin , have to agree , shivers down the spine
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 16:56   #14

Quote:
I used to love going on Pleasure Beach too, still used to like having a walk round there up untill recently....you cant just walk round anymore i believe they charge just to go on now. Thats going to make it harder for parents today, my Mum and Dad used to take me on there 2 or 3 times each hol, but just went on 1 or 2 rides each time, that way it was split up over the week...folk arn't going to be able to afford to do that now!

A few other names i can reacall seeing there are Dickie Henderson, Joe "Mr Piano" Henderson, Hope and Keen, Jo Jac and Joni, Ken Platt, Jewell and Warriss, Moira Anderson, Kenneth McKellar, Ronnie Hilton and Freddy "Parrot Face" Davies.

I was probably about 7 or 8 the first time i saw Ken Dodd in Blackpool, my lad still thinks he's great and we are going to see him again at the Grand Theatre in November, cant be too many people you could go and see at the Theatre these days 45 years after you first saw them can there?? A true Legend is Doddy!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Me and the misses were in Blackpool last Summer and went to have a walk around the pleasure beach and were gobsmacked to be asked for £5 each just to have a walk around????? The world gone mad!!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 16:57   #15
Senior Member+

[quote=steeljack;786111]Thanks Taggy, for reminding those of us who remember the above artistes how old we have become

No Probs Steeljack......a look in the mirror first thing every morning does it for me!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..