Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By jaysay
  • 1 Post By 5th Circle
  • 1 Post By cashman
  • 1 Post By KiTChener
  • 1 Post By yerself
  • 1 Post By jaysay
  • 1 Post By Michael365

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2010, 12:46   #1
Resting in Peace

Springhill Car Club

Does anybody remember this club, they had a wood prefab type hut on or near Wordsworth Road Fern Gore, I wasn't a member but my mate was, they took part in the local Rally driving circuit and organised their own rally each year. these rallies were a regular thing in the 60s and 70s and usually took place through the night, never entered but manned a few check points over places like blubber houses. Great sight a Mini Cooper flying at you with heads and spots on at full, screeching to a halt getting their time clock stamped then off again with spinning wheels. Can't remember many who were involved but John Idone was one name and there was a chap who ran a bakers shop in Ossy, his name was Malcolm can't think of his second name. Another Rally club going around that time was Mullards 2000, who actually staged a leg of the British Rally championships
Michael365 likes this.
Old 30-09-2010, 08:14   #2
Junior Member+

Re: Springhill Car Club

I remember the club, was really keen to join and get my mk1 cortina going but found out the rat bag of a teacher Frank Eland was involved with the running of the club, couldn't put up with him at school never mind socially, A mate of my dad's Ian Beardsworth was a member had a new 1974 RS2000 jammy devil, wonder if he still has it, ??
Michael365 likes this.
5th Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 08:38   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

remember the car club n frank eland, ratbag? not in my eyes, he banned me from metalwork fer setting fire at the forge n used to wash his car round the back of school, was great fer having a fag instead of slogging away filing n stuff, Top Geezer.
Michael365 likes this.
Old 30-09-2010, 18:36   #4
JCB

The last time I heard of them was when they had a shop in Pendle St/Fountain St area near Higher Antley St .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 20:40   #5

yes, I went to that shop, as did many of my mates from Shopfitters.
Remember Frank Eland, & can still picture his sidekick in the shop, but can't remember his name?
Michael365 likes this.
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 20:52   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
John Idone
You're thinking of Tony Iddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
his name was Malcolm can't think of his second name
Graham.

The motorsports section used to meet every other Wednesday at Bash Con, the main Springhill Car Club used to meet, funnily enough, at the Springhill WMC. Their annual rally was the Ribble Rally. Malcolm Graham was chairman of the motorsport section.
Michael365 likes this.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:33   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
You're thinking of Tony Iddon

Graham.

The motorsports section used to meet every other Wednesday at Bash Con, the main Springhill Car Club used to meet, funnily enough, at the Springhill WMC. Their annual rally was the Ribble Rally. Malcolm Graham was chairman of the motorsport section.
Right on both counts yerself, Malcomb had a bakers shop in Ossy back then
Michael365 likes this.
Old 08-01-2016, 20:49   #8

I'm very interested in Spring Hill Car club; my Uncles, Frank and Bill Worswick were both members during the '60's, and I think my Uncle Frank was particularly active navigating on rallies in the '60's. I have a trophy in my possession, won, I believe by my Uncle Bill, engraved 'S.A.C.C. Triangular Rally Best Novice Navigator', sadly without a date, which I believe is a Spring Hill event; presumably in the '60's.
As I'm now navigating myself in historic rallies, I'd be interested if anyone could give me more detail?
cashman likes this.
Michael365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:59   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael365 View Post
I'm very interested in Spring Hill Car club; my Uncles, Frank and Bill Worswick were both members during the '60's, and I think my Uncle Frank was particularly active navigating on rallies in the '60's. I have a trophy in my possession, won, I believe by my Uncle Bill, engraved 'S.A.C.C. Triangular Rally Best Novice Navigator', sadly without a date, which I believe is a Spring Hill event; presumably in the '60's.
As I'm now navigating myself in historic rallies, I'd be interested if anyone could give me more detail?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
remember the car club n frank eland, ratbag? not in my eyes, he banned me from metalwork fer setting fire at the forge n used to wash his car round the back of school, was great fer having a fag instead of slogging away filing n stuff, Top Geezer.
Yes Frank Eland used to have us polishing up trophies and car badges during our metalwork classes at Accy Tech on Union Road.
I also remember Frank organising the sales of newspapers during the Accrington holiday shutdown. I had a great pitch on the wall of the house* on Manchester Road across Christ Church St from the Park Inn.
He used to rock up in his Hillman Minx and supply us with the days newsprint and collect the returns and takings later.
Nice little earner during the holidays.
* Was a toffee shop then, Atarah or Retlaw will probably know more.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@?dg=dbrw&newdg=1
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 13:06   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Yes Frank Eland used to have us polishing up trophies and car badges during our metalwork classes at Accy Tech on Union Road.
I also remember Frank organising the sales of newspapers during the Accrington holiday shutdown. I had a great pitch on the wall of the house* on Manchester Road across Christ Church St from the Park Inn.
He used to rock up in his Hillman Minx and supply us with the days newsprint and collect the returns and takings later.
Nice little earner during the holidays.
* Was a toffee shop then, Atarah or Retlaw will probably know more.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@?dg=dbrw&newdg=1
Yep that shop on the corner with Christ Church St (with the post box in the wall) had long been a shop, sold ice cream to the walkers up to Oak Hill Park, think the last person to operate it as a shop was Alex Thompson.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 19:08   #11

Dad was a member in the 70's.

Had one of these on the Capri - seen it on ebay.....

Used Car Mascot Badge : SPRING HILL CAR CLUB ACCRINGTON by Renamel | eBay
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..