Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2010, 10:32   #16

Re: Winter of 1963

The winter of 1963 was the coldest of the twentieth century, in the UK, and the coldest since 1740. The second coldest was 1947, when more snow fell, but average temperatures were not as low. Click on the dates to see weather reports for that day (taken from the Manchester Guardian booklet The Long Winter 1962-3.)

The Winter of 1963
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-11-2010, 11:13   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Fresh Air Freddy the Phantom Flasher quite a guy was our Freddy, he had the police on the hop alright, can remember two plain cloths police women walking the streets of Ossy trying to catch this chap, still can't remember if they ever did catch him or not
Good heavens, Jaysay, you really have brought some memories back.
I had the misfortune to 'see' Fresh air freddy twice ( my brother acuused me of going out looking for him!!)Obviously details of these encounters can't be posted on this forum but I do have a very good idea who he was, and if it was him, he was caught and imprisoned for something else. Perhaps this is info for a pm, don't you think??
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 11:32   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Good heavens, Jaysay, you really have brought some memories back.
I had the misfortune to 'see' Fresh air freddy twice ( my brother acuused me of going out looking for him!!)Obviously details of these encounters can't be posted on this forum but I do have a very good idea who he was, and if it was him, he was caught and imprisoned for something else. Perhaps this is info for a pm, don't you think??
Forum rules say PMs is the way to go on this Sue and what do you meam Misfortune
Old 26-11-2010, 01:42   #19
Senior Member+

I was working for the gas board that winter and the frost went down so deep it allowed the gas to seep up and leak into houses. We were on 12 hour shifts 7 days a week just to cover leaks. We would go to find a leak at 2 in the morning and we had to sledge hammer the flags up, the lights would go on all down the street but no one complained, in fact lots came out with brews to keep us warm.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 19:53   #20

Did this years snow make an impact????
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 19:55   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Did this years snow make an impact????
Didn't have an impact on me gdm
Old 13-12-2010, 22:56   #22

just looking through the old stuff saw about hawkins did anyone know brian worswick also a butcher at slingers & a mate of hawkins used to get meat at 2 bob a lb brian been dead about 7 yrs now lived in spain as i do now still did a bit of butchering a good lad
violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 23:01   #23

just thinking back to 63 lived on owen st acci been married 3 yrs no central heating no duvets just hot water bottles no double glazing ice on windows inside dont miss england this weather its been 18 in spain today washed & got dried a line full of washing i watch tele see the forcast & just think i will stay a while longer violet
Old 13-12-2010, 23:02   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet View Post
just looking through the old stuff saw about hawkins did anyone know brian worswick also a butcher at slingers & a mate of hawkins used to get meat at 2 bob a lb brian been dead about 7 yrs now lived in spain as i do now still did a bit of butchering a good lad
Brian lived on Dill Hall, i worked wi him, in fact got me dog "Red Setter Cross" off him in 63, daft as a brush at work was on the sausage machine, great bloke. sorry to hear brians gone.

Last edited by cashman; 13-12-2010 at 23:09.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 23:05   #25

can go back a bit more i remember in the 40ties going up whinney hill tip with my dad & brother to find coal or cinders now thats what i call cold we had a sledge to bring back what we could i suppose today the kids would have a march with placards outside the town hall they call it progress eh violet
Old 13-12-2010, 23:08   #26

hi yes he di the sausage he used to make us some special for xmas his wife joan is still living here in spain & is well she is kicking 80 now he was a bit of a ducker n diver but a great bloke we miss him he mated out with my hubby & me for well over 40 yrs violet
Old 13-12-2010, 23:11   #27

also notice u r an old claytoner as i am myself in fact still am even though i have been in spain for 18 yrs im almost getting ready to come home spain is for the young but i have had a great time no regrets violet
Old 13-12-2010, 23:20   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet View Post
hi yes he di the sausage he used to make us some special for xmas his wife joan is still living here in spain & is well she is kicking 80 now he was a bit of a ducker n diver but a great bloke we miss him he mated out with my hubby & me for well over 40 yrs violet
i only met joan the once, when i went to collect the puppy from Dill Hall.
Old 03-03-2012, 22:55   #29
Junior Member+

Another memory of that - and other cold winters - was that Whitewell Dairies used to send out a lorry - with chains - on deliveries instead of the usual milk float.

And with everyone having coal fires people put cinders down everywhere to help with icy pavements.

Messy afterwards, but useful at the time!

Rgds

John45378
John45378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 23:35   #30
God Member

Was born Oct. '63 -knew from mum & dad that it was incredibly cold and snowy when they married Dec26th 1962. Honeymoon in Lake District at Keswick, Derwent Water was frozen over by all accounts -did a quick calculation -the cold kept them in and I was conceived!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..