Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 22:56   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Winter of 1963

I remember going down Willows Lane to the Grammar School and the water main had burst at the end of Brown Street and was freezing as fast as the water was coming out. Willows Lane was solid ice all the way down past the Railway Bridge. The council workers could not get out of their yard to grit the road. We were watching cars sliding down and crashing into others and bouncing of the walls at either side of Willows Lane.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2012, 09:43   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Was born Oct. '63 -knew from mum & dad that it was incredibly cold and snowy when they married Dec26th 1962. Honeymoon in Lake District at Keswick, Derwent Water was frozen over by all accounts -did a quick calculation -the cold kept them in and I was conceived!
The winter of 63 has a lot to answer far mobertol
Old 04-03-2012, 22:00   #33
Senior Member+

I remember the snow of 63, living on Pendle Street I opened the back door to use the outside privey and was met with a wall of snow, it had drifted up past the door frame. Had to use the shovel by the side of the fire for taking out the ashes to dig a tunnel outside. Just for the luxury of and outside privey with newspaper squares on a nail, bliss
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:51   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I remember the snow of 63, living on Pendle Street I opened the back door to use the outside privey and was met with a wall of snow, it had drifted up past the door frame. Had to use the shovel by the side of the fire for taking out the ashes to dig a tunnel outside. Just for the luxury of and outside privey with newspaper squares on a nail, bliss
Ya Dave the outside loo, think I was around at just the wrong time really, it was about the time that I was an happyrentice that people decided to have improvement grants which included an inside loo, which meant that the old long drop tippler had to be dug out, usually by yours truly, ugggggggg
Old 05-03-2012, 09:13   #35
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I knew a Harry Hawkins, went to Woodnook Council School, was a butcher at Kemp & Murrays on the corner of Wellington St.

Retlaw.
I remember little Harry. He was a good drinker. Do you guys remember the big tall fair haired bloke he used to drink with. They used the coctail bar in the big pub on the corner by the bus station. can,t think of its name. Maybe commercial or something. Had a grand piano in that room. They also used the Derby quite a bit. Last time I saw harry was in the Derby about Feb 1968. Think he was seeing one of the barmaids at the time. Great guy.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:38   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya Dave the outside loo, think I was around at just the wrong time really, it was about the time that I was an happyrentice that people decided to have improvement grants which included an inside loo, which meant that the old long drop tippler had to be dug out, usually by yours truly, ugggggggg
we initialy had the long drop, we then went upmarket and had a porcelain pedestal instaled, still outside though, but we kept the newspaper squares for a few more years. I think we then splashed out on bulk paper from Uncle Dicks on the outside market that was when the market filled the space between the market hall and the town hall
Old 05-03-2012, 09:46   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
we initially had the long drop, we then went upmarket and had a porcelain pedestal installed, still outside though, but we kept the newspaper squares for a few more years. I think we then splashed out on bulk paper from Uncle Dicks on the outside market that was when the market filled the space between the market hall and the town hall
Ah we were very lucky in our house dave, my Mum worked for Hygiene Supplies in Stone Bridge Lane, who made a wide range of toilet rolls, and we got the seconds to use instead of the newspaper squares
Old 05-03-2012, 12:35   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Ah we were very lucky in our house dave, my Mum worked for Hygiene Supplies in Stone Bridge Lane, who made a wide range of toilet rolls, and we got the seconds to use instead of the newspaper squares
there was a downside to newspaper squares, you know when you read a newspaper and get print on your fingers, well I think thats were the song "black bottom" came from.
Old 05-03-2012, 15:34   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Weren't the seconds the ones with the holes in them?

The old 'Observer' was always a nice texture. What's the current one like?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 15:53   #40

How many rainforests could we save if we did the same today? (I'm not volunteering.)
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:36   #41
Senior Member+

This has turned to toilet humour
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 18:03   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Weren't the seconds the ones with the holes in them?

The old 'Observer' was always a nice texture. What's the current one like?
No funnily enough Gordon, they were the ones without the perforations
Old 05-03-2012, 18:04   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Thats bog standard on here Max
Old 05-03-2012, 18:44   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
flushed with nostalgia
Old 05-03-2012, 20:00   #45

Bit down in the dumps when I opened this thread, but you have all really made me laugh!!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..