Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 18:51   #1
Senior Member+

Markyspark

My friend is a Composer of modern-classical music(for want of a better term for it) and over the years he has improved leaps and bounds. If you like piano and strings like music then perhaps you should check my friend out. He has a CD you can buy from amazon, but he uploads some of his music to public sites.

There is some upcoming event in mercer park in Clayton-Le-Moors where he will have a stall selling his CDs and whatnot. Perhaps you could go down and buy a CD.

You can listen to some of his music here MarkySpark's Audio The least you could is check it out.

Amazon.com: No Rush Hour: Marky Spark: Music
Old 02-04-2012, 23:10   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Markyspark

Had a listen to Revelations, not my bag at all, nice music but boring to me.
Old 02-04-2012, 23:20   #3
Senior Member+

Yeah its not for everybody. I don't actually know many people that do like classical music.
Old 02-04-2012, 23:36   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Yeah its not for everybody. I don't actually know many people that do like classical music.
Oh i dont mind Strauss, n suppose thats classical.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:21   #5
Senior Member+

I guess I like some too. I suppose its the same as liking any music artist. Different artists present their own style or ideas and it shows. Sometimes we get it and sometimes we don't. My favourite band is American Music Club/Mark Eitzel and hardly anyone I know likes them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Oh i dont mind Strauss, n suppose thats classical.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:39   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Well you know another one now! I still like the pop music I grew up with but anything after about 1970 is a closed book to me. Used to sing in large choirs for several years doing anything from Palestrina to Poulenc to Paul Pattrson. I really love opera but it's a bit of a cultural desert for that where I live.

I spent the last five years of my working life writing about classical music and meeting performers and composers when I worked for an organisation that put on festivals in the midlands. My job was to produce from scratch the souvenir programme booklet for each festival, including programme notes, artist biographies and articles and it was the most interesting job I ever had.

I listened to a couple of tracks from your friend's album but found it rather boring and samey. I prefer my music a bit more challenging - Accrington's own Sir Harrison Birtwistle for example? First heard about at a lecture at Accy library in the late 60s.

One thing that puzzles me - why is any musical item these days referred to as a song even when there are clearly no words? I even saw an internet site once where you could download classical tracks and they were referred to as songs even when they were a string quartet or something!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:43   #7
Resting in Peace

To be honest the only music I don't like is Punk and Rap, bit of light opera is fine by me, some classical, middle of the road stuff, music is such a broad church
Old 03-04-2012, 18:26   #8
Senior Member+

Yeah that is a bit puzzling. People talk of songs now as any recorded music. They talk of songs like they are something you can hold a few of in your hand, or how many you can cram insidel a jar. (lame analogy for mp3 players)

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
One thing that puzzles me - why is any musical item these days referred to as a song even when there are clearly no words? I even saw an internet site once where you could download classical tracks and they were referred to as songs even when they were a string quartet or something!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..