Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 20:56   #76
Resting In Peace

Re: Sky news players charged bury game

Mangan played for Forest Green tonight
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2009, 20:57   #77
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redash View Post
As the club captain he should set and lead by example.
He is leading by example he decide to bet against the club on £5 and some of the other players followed his example by betting money joke.
On a more serious note! On Saturday will he be in the squad? Will he be club captain or will Phill Edwards be given it or another team member? The money they won and they must of won a fair bit with them betting 4k, 3.5k, 2k and 1k and whatever Cav won. They should donated it to the club or a chairty of the club's choice!

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 21:05   #78
Senior Member+

Their not guilty until proven! Could of been any Peter Cavanagh, theirs loads in this world........ like this one. Google Image Result for http://www.priory.lancs.ac.uk/gifs/peter.jpg

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 21:08   #79
Senior Member+

Just watched Eric's statement BBC SPORT | Football | League Two | Five charged with betting on game

Surely the club had an internal enquiry?

Tinpot to the end.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 21:25   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redash View Post
I am absolutely gutted by this. Players from my team, betting against my team. The FA would not have released the names if they was any doubt of their guilt ( they would leave themselves open to all sorts of legal isues). I’m not bothered if it was £5 £50 or £500,000, the point is, they gambled on my team losing.
Now I think back how often has this betting against Stanley, by Stanley players, been going on.
Cavanagh is often romping forward and leaving the defence vulnerable on the counter attack, like last Saturday against Lincoln Phil had to move out to the right to cover for Cavanagh, leaving a massive hole in the centre for the Lincoln players to exploit. How many times has this happened? As the club captain he should set and lead by example. (I’m not saying the Lincoln match was dodgy, I’m just citing an example that will be fresh in the minds of others)
Williams and Harris, how many needless penalties, free kicks, and sending offs have they been involved with.
Was Mannix useless on purpose? Did Mangan keep running to the wing so he wouldn’t be in a scoring position?
I hope the FA ban them all from football stadiums for life. Never to play, never to manage and never to watch.
I've kept quiet all day till i've calmed down which isn't happening until i get a few things off my chest. I'm with redash on this btw. how long has this been going on? how does everyone feel paying into games knowing that stanley aren't going to win and the players have aledgedly already decided the outcome of the game? The biggest thing that is bugging me is that these will not be the only players to have had bet, they just will not be able to prove the rest!
neilhaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 21:25   #81
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy McQueen View Post
They should be suspended with immediate effect. It would be in their own interest. There is no guilt attached. Disrepute springs to mind, not only the players but more so the Club. We are already the laughing stock, but I dread to think what we will become especially if we continue to play these two.It just shows what these players think of Accrington Stanley, no respect. How many more are involved? But keeping their heads down, maybe we will never know but people will always wonder,and speculate.
Couldn't agree with you more T. Mc...I've been trying to imagine the reaction of both Grimsby and Stanley fans if Peter Cavanagh and Robert ('Rocky') Williams are seen 'warming up', let alone leading 'the Red's' out as Captain and Senior Professional at Grimsby on Saturday afternoon !!...Whether they are guilty or innocent of any charges levelled at them, they should be protected from the abuse which is likely to be hurled in their direction....AND..
I shudder to think of the level of hatred and Bile which will be aimed at Mannix and Harris if they dare to show their faces at the FES next Monday !!.
So as you rightly say all four of these 'Professionals',
as the PFA would have them called, should be withdrawn from Football of any sort until the matter is resolved.
Perhaps the PFA in it's wisdom should insist on this !.
I feel a real sadness, and my Spring Optimism has evaporated completely,knowing that our Club has already been damaged to a level from which any recovery is going to take a long time and great effort.

WHAT ME WORRY ?.....At this moment in time ....
I CERTAINLY DO !!!!...but I can still restate MY support for'the club that wouldn't die'....
'ON STANLEY.....ON !!!'
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 21:29   #82
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device. To think i sat there with some of them on that bury match grr stupid guys! Did they think they wouldnt get found out??? Gee times must of been 'aard for them to be so silly abusing their careers!!! Its very disappointing more so from the captain.
Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 21:32   #83
Senior Member+

I think the most surprising thing to come out of all this, is that bookies were taking bets on Bury winning that game. Every man and his dog knew we'd lose.
Old 07-04-2009, 21:33   #84
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device. Have to agree with neil, tommy & yonmon comments it does disgrace the badge crest.
Old 07-04-2009, 21:35   #85
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device. Lol TM i was quite surprised myself surely a dead cert has poor odds??
Old 07-04-2009, 21:35   #86
Senior Member+

In reply to yonmon's post
When we play chester, will Mannix be playing as since the incident where he was in hospital he has told he can leave the club but he has been playing a couple of games! and Harris is in hospital with meningitis.

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 21:47   #87
Senior Member+

I have read somewhere today that Stanley players were at a stag party on the night before the Bury match. Is that true?

If it is true, can it be right that players are allowed to attend such an event on the night before a match?
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 21:49   #88
Full Member+

I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with Yonmon. I feel that to include either of these two players in the team before the whole business is resolved would be an enormous gaffe on the club’s part. “Innocent until proven guilty” is all very well, but in any other profession they would be suspended on full pay pending the results of the enquiry.

This in no way prejudices their position and is not an assumption of guilt but it does show the seriousness with which the club views the matter, as well as protecting the players from the inevitable abuse that they will suffer from fans of Stanley and opposition alike.

If they are later found guilty, then let them be suspended for life and, as far as the two are concerned who actually played in the game, then maybe criminal charges will be brought against them, as they were against Swan, Kay and Layne all those years ago – if this results in a similar jail sentence, then so be it.

As far as I am concerned, I just feel a tremendous sense of betrayal, especially from the club captain, who stands accused of betraying my beloved football club for 30 pieces (sorry- £5 worth) of silver.

If he turns out to be innocent, then I apologise but until the truth is known, I would prefer not to see him or his full-back partner in a Stanley shirt.
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 21:51   #89
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
they should be protected from the abuse which is likely to be hurled in their direction
Why the hell should they be protected, it's a disgrace.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 21:55   #90

Thumbs down Re: Sky news players charged bury game

Said i'd never post on this forum again but having read and listened to some of the stuff surrounding this betting scandal it makes you wonder.If minds are cast back to certain games,bradford home to name but one,how can we lead 2-0 for 60 or 70 mins be so far on top and then suddenly wham inside of 10 or 12 mins we are 3-2 down ?.kind of makes you start to think a little longer on how it could happen,and thats not the only time we've dominated a game and in some cases lost it in the diing seconds to a stupid defensive blunder.Before certain people jump down my throat just take a while to think about where i'm coming from,Accy are deep in my heart and the last thing they need right now is all this hanging over the club like a dark cloud.If the worst case scenario came into it and the league decided to dock points,(sincerely hope not) and they could depending on what the outcome is then the last few weeks of grafting some hard fought results will all be in vane.I sincerely hope it sorts itself out and the good name of ACCRINGTON STANLEY remains a name to be reckoned with in the world of professional fooball.
THESE ARE MY THOUGHTS AND MINE ALONE.
afrikaaner is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..