Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f97/)
-   -   Animal pictures? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f97/animal-pictures-62345.html)

Gremlin 17-09-2012 18:15

Re: Animal pictures?

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1016676)
That little dog was kept in a cage for nine weeks.
Some evil person threw her out of a car when she was tiny. We were asked to help by Hyndburn stray dogs but they didn't expect her to survive.
The vet almost put her to sleep but my wife nursed her back to health and cared for her night and day.
the reason for the cage, she had a broken pelvis and her paws were rubbed raw.
You should see her now 8 years later, running about like a good un. The home she went to thinks the world of her and brings her to see us every time they are in the area.

The other photo is one I took of a puppy my wife walked for the GDBA, one of eight she got through it's initial training and then it went to work with a visual impaired person.

The pictures were deleted in the original post, accidentally by Mick.
The post doesn't make sense without them so he has asked me to post them again.

davemac 17-09-2012 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1016946)

the first picture here is better than the one you posted first, more dog less cage.

Gremlin 17-09-2012 20:21

Glad you are taking notice Dave,it makes the effort worth it.

maxthecollie 17-09-2012 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1016946)

Pity you couldn't keep her as you have nursed her back to health.

Gremlin 17-09-2012 20:47

Yes we would love to have kept her, she went to a fantastic home.
The only way we could keep her was for my wife to pack in working for the uGD BA.
We had a guide dog puppy and a retired guide dog and they said another dog was too many to have around a young trainee puppy.
They allowed us to keep the injured Tilly until she was well enough to be rehomed.
My wife would have given up with the guide dogs if Tilly couldn't get a good home.

susie123 17-09-2012 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1017003)
Yes we would love to have kept her, she went to a fantastic home.
The only way we could keep her was for my wife to pack in working for the uGD BA.
We had a guide dog puppy and a retired guide dog and they said another dog was too many to have around a young trainee puppy.
They allowed us to keep the injured Tilly until she was well enough to be rehomed.
My wife would have given up with the guide dogs if Tilly couldn't get a good home.

Your lovely Tilly looks very like the Dogs Trust logo!

Gremlin 18-09-2012 14:35

2 Attachment(s)
Two more animal photos.

Rascal was a trainee guide dog, Pippa was a pug we had and Hannah was a retired guide dog which my wife had previously trained and they let us have her back.

susie123 18-09-2012 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1017158)
Two more animal photos.

Rascal was a trainee guide dog, Pippa was a pug we had and Hannah was a retired guide dog which my wife had previously trained and they let us have her back.

How lovely! There is a training centre and breeding centre at Leamington Spa and when we lived in nearby Warwick before coming to Lancs in 2007 we often used to see puppy walkers and people out training dogs in the town centre. A heart warming sight.

Gremlin 18-09-2012 16:02

The centre near here is at Bolton.
The one at Leamington Spa is a breeding centre.
A lot of guide dogs are trained and then kept as breeding stock.
They are all homed with people near Leamington Spa, the reason for that is so they can be taken into the centre when they are ready to be mated.

Some of the puppies which are born there are moved on to other training centres such as Bolton. They are usually only six weeks old and go out to the puppy walkers within a day or two after they have been checked over.

The puppy walker has to get the puppy injected a few weeks after, all vet bills are sent direct the GBDA.
The food is free but the puppy walker has to buy the bed and bedding and any bus or train fares they spend during the training. They are expected to take the puppy on the public transport.

susie123 18-09-2012 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1017168)
The centre near here is at Bolton.
The one at Leamington Spa is a breeding centre.
A lot of guide dogs are trained and then kept as breeding stock.
They are all homed with people near Leamington Spa, the reason for that is so they can be taken into the centre when they are ready to be mated.

Some of the puppies which are born there are moved on to other training centres such as Bolton. They are usually only six weeks old and go out to the puppy walkers within a day or two after they have been checked over.

The puppy walker has to get the puppy injected a few weeks after, all vet bills are sent direct the GBDA.
The food is free but the puppy walker has to buy the bed and bedding and any bus or train fares they spend during the training. They are expected to take the puppy on the public transport.

Thanks for that insight, it must give people a great deal of satisfaction to get a little scrap of a puppy to a stage where it can go on to full training. I expect it's quite fun too, though it must be a wrench when you have to let them go.

Gremlin 18-09-2012 17:34

The puppy should be nearly fully trained when it leaves a puppy walker, if the puppy walker just wants it for a pet and doesn't put any effort into the job then there is a chance it will not make the grade when it goes back to the centre.
My wife used to stand by workmen digging holes etc so the puppy got used to noise. Then took it through busy stores or even through the hospital, they always allowed it.
She would ask policemen to talk to the dog and rattle the handcuffs, there is a lot to the job that people don't understand. I couldn't have done it but did try to help. I was working away a lot. My wife had to put up with all the mess and sickness, wash the bedding and mop up. I used to take them to the station and drive to the next one so the puppy could get used to trains.
You are right about letting them go, both of us got a bit tearfull but they kept us informed of its progress. We never knew where they finished up though. The person who got the trained dog would know our address and it was up to them whether they contacted us or not.
Not all did.

Another thing about Leamington Spa, useless information, a boxer called Randolph Turpin lived there before he committed suicide. His family ran a guest house, I stayed there when I had been to A P motor products in the town, a company you will know. It was early 70's last time I went.
Told you it was useless information.

susie123 18-09-2012 18:18

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1017190)
The puppy should be nearly fully trained when it leaves a puppy walker, if the puppy walker just wants it for a pet and doesn't put any effort into the job then there is a chance it will not make the grade when it goes back to the centre.
My wife used to stand by workmen digging holes etc so the puppy got used to noise. Then took it through busy stores or even through the hospital, they always allowed it.
She would ask policemen to talk to the dog and rattle the handcuffs, there is a lot to the job that people don't understand. I couldn't have done it but did try to help. I was working away a lot. My wife had to put up with all the mess and sickness, wash the bedding and mop up. I used to take them to the station and drive to the next one so the puppy could get used to trains.
You are right about letting them go, both of us got a bit tearfull but they kept us informed of its progress. We never knew where they finished up though. The person who got the trained dog would know our address and it was up to them whether they contacted us or not.
Not all did.

Another thing about Leamington Spa, useless information, a boxer called Randolph Turpin lived there before he committed suicide. His family ran a guest house, I stayed there when I had been to A P motor products in the town, a company you will know. It was early 70's last time I went.
Told you it was useless information.

Yes we used to see them in the pub quite a bit, another thing they might have to get used to!

As for Randolph Turpin, I remember him when he was fighting in the 50s although I was only about ten - the name stood out, probably hearing it on the wireless etc. And Sir Henry Cooper unveiled a statue of him in Warwick Market Square, in the 50th anniversary year of his world title win.

Randolph Turpin - Career & Life

Nice picture of it below... takes me back to when I lived there.

Sunflower49 25-09-2012 01:26

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Dog Wink :)

maxthecollie 25-09-2012 16:34

Where's the pic?

Sunflower49 25-09-2012 22:50

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know what I've done there!Will try again, could see it when I first posted it!

Kya winking at me :)