Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Feedback, Suggestions and help!
Donate! Join Today

Feedback, Suggestions and help! Do you need any help with the forum? Do you like what you see? Do you want more sections? Any ideas to improve the forum welcome. Any problems please report here as well.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2012, 19:13   #16

Re: Newbies

After a 5 mile run I took my daughter to a pre op. :P is this a classroom squabble now.

Not that its any of your beeswax

Last edited by hairylee; 27-10-2012 at 19:14. Reason: addition
hairylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-10-2012, 19:18   #17
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylee View Post

This forum will die a death, which would be a great shame.
People have been saying this for as long as I have been here(some 8 years) and it hasn't happened.
People come and people go...for their own reasons. Sometimes as you say, life...real life gets in the way of coming on the forum...and while your real life was getting in the way, who was keeping the forum alive?

It was Less and all the others too numerous to mention who come on here and keep the site alive with posts and comments....and Hairylee, I am not getting at you.
As for your suggestion......I think we all know it was just a suggestion...but if a suggestion isn't implemented it isn't personal.

I'm sure the young people who have visited the site can stand up for themselves.......they don't need some kind of badge to get them through....and those who stay(and there are lots of us) it is because we can take the banter, and stand our corner.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 19:20   #18
Beacon of light

Quote:
After a 5 mile run I took my daughter to a pre op. :P is this a classroom squabble now.

So why bother to tell us about it then? And it will only be a classroom squabble if you make it one.
Old 27-10-2012, 19:29   #19

This I like, a good honest decent answer! /\ /\ /\

I've just read a blog by Less about the start of accyweb, it was very good, I found it interesting, sometimes though I think the members that post a lot can be seen as a clique. After all you are good friends and have built a friendship as part of this forum. However I do not feel part of this 'friendship' I am not begging here, I cannot dedicate enough downtime to post on here frequently. Just pointing out what I feel

The suggestion was something I saw on Money Saving Expert it was put to good use. The Moderators seemed to automatically see what a newbie was posting but I also understand about the being pointed out about being new, could be potentially singled out.
Old 27-10-2012, 19:31   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I still stand by the fact that if you haven't anything useful or relevant to say then don't say it. .

This forum will die a death, which would be a great shame.
Well thats not very useful or relevant is it? I have lost count of the number of people that have said that. The reason most forums die a death imho is the lack of regular contributors, Bit ironic that i would say.
Old 27-10-2012, 19:36   #21
Beacon of light

That is a good post.
And I am sure that most of us know that family comes first.
You can be part of it....by just posting when you can...something interesting, something funny, how you feel about certain things......slowly, slowly the friendship grows...a lot like in the real world.
Hairylee, please don't be put off.
Old 27-10-2012, 20:05   #22

we keep going over the same ground here.

It is relevant. it's about new people, protecting them from never returning. No newbies, just slowly fading into nothingness. I also agree the frequent posters are keeping this site alive...I am not a frequent, but I am here.
You just don't get to hear from me a lot. Which i'd think you agree Cashman you would be happy if it continued in that fashion

I cause too many debates...woken you all up though
Old 27-10-2012, 20:58   #23
Beacon of light

I don't think new people need their hands held.
The forum has information to help new people...though it seems that not many of them read it.......there is a report button if people feel that someone is behaving badly, there is almost always(unless the poster is posting in the middle of the night) a moderator available...and they don't bite.
If new people cannot manage with the support available then they should not be at any keyboard - they are not mature enough.

This is only my opinion - for what it is worth.
Old 27-10-2012, 22:15   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
You just don't get to hear from me a lot. Which i'd think you agree Cashman you would be happy if it continued in that fashion

I cause too many debates...woken you all up though
Why would or should i be happy if that continues? Its of little consequence to me either way, And because of yer very busy life, pray tell me how yeh cause too many debates?because n sorry if it offends, but an average of less than 1 post a month for 8 years cannot in any way cause that many debates. You are just demonstrating immaturity as far as i'm concerned, Thought yeh would be a bit more grown up at your age.
Old 28-10-2012, 05:19   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Oh dear, what a shame so many bright ideas but no sense to read the rules, excuse me whilst I press the report button, SHARING, a user name is not allowed. After all you share, we don't know whom it is we're annoyed with, plus you need to get something called a 'life', not just a busy one.

Quote:
pftt, your on here so much Less it might as well be called, Lessweb, tis you that needs to get out and smell the fresh air. REPORT away Zzzzzzzz....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
You big baba, is that the best you can do?

I was up at 5.00 this morning having the cobwebs blown away from me on the North Sea, what were you doing?

Quote:

I already apologise for going this low-this discussion to me is essentially 'I have an idea, what do you think', -and then yes or no.

I am an observer that is all no strong opinions, BUT the above posts want me to type *Gets Popcorn*.

Seriously, I am the most 'immature' (and I have strong opinions regards the definitions of that word) person you will meet. I follow animals other than humans-I truly believe we do not stop 'playing' because we grow up, but that we 'Grow Up' because we stop playing.

However that said, the above made me think 'What the actual H, are we in an infant playground?!'

Seriously, folks, really?!

We're all from different walks of life,we all do different things with our lives. It's not a competition here, on a local internet forum, to see who has done 'more' or 'better' or 'more impressive'. Too subjective, for a start, also who decided that was the point of the forum?!

2cents done I'm off.

(I'm 'half-expecting) a "S/he started it!!!"!

Last edited by Sunflower49; 28-10-2012 at 05:21.
Sunflower49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 08:37   #26
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
someone comments saying it helps if you read the whole thread, when some threads go on and on and on.
Oh whoa is me, guilty as charged I recently suggested that a newbie read the whole thread and below is the proof:-

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ect-62575.html
Including the newbies post the whole thread was 7 yes SEVEN posts long.

It wasn't a dig, it was advice, the newbie wanted a free item that had already gone, had they taken the bother to read the thread (as difficult as it may be to read through the whole of it) they would have seen the item had gone, but no, they hadn't bothered/been capable of performing such a marathon task.
So I posted a little reply.

Quote:
Try reading all the thread, it does help.

It wasn't insulting, it was just a bit of advice, they could take it or leave it.

Perhaps you could use some of your own advice?

Quote:
someone if you aint got owt useful or nice to say, don't open yer pie ole x
After all, with such a long membership but a very low post count between two of you, you are hardly in a real position to pass judgement on other members.

Last edited by Mick; 28-10-2012 at 08:57.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 18:34   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
clique. .
Oh dear. There is that word again
Old 29-10-2012, 19:06   #28

Quote:
Hi, I thought it was a good idea I saw recently that a newbie gets an automatic signature or avatar which says, I am a Newbie, please be nice....
Isn't that implicit in the post count and "member since" details against everyone's name?

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 19:16   #29

Less it was not directed at anyone personally, one that I saw was from you and you may notice I tried to employ diplomacy by not mentioning names, that wasn't the objective of my suggestion. However on hindsight I've never bothered to read the rules, and believe it or not off this forum I am rule maker. I shall take your advice and read the rules of the forum. However I am not being funny by saying this but...I understand you did not make a dig, however it could of been a little more courteous towards the new person, by directing them to the rules or just plain saying
sorry mate its sold?
I don't understand why this seems to have turned into a trial where you find it necessary to re quote and attach what you previously have said as if we are in a court of law. And the amazing regurgitation of my non existent post count?
Old 29-10-2012, 19:22   #30

Talking Re: Newbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Isn't that implicit in the post count and "member since" details against everyone's name?
this is where the plan is flawed technically I am a newbie, as I've been a member forever, but I've got a minuscule post count, good job im a woman, or I'd start to get a complex!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..