Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2006, 13:16   #166
God Member

Re: Smoking near children should be a punishable offence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Your obviously anti-anti-smokers, anyone mentions that you shouldn't be smoking somehwhere thats it's not already banned from, and you've got your list of fight backs ready. regardless of if they're relevant to the place where the person thinks smoking shouldn't be allowed. Those points are only valid in my opinion if someone try's to tell you that you should give up because it's harming you.
Again you are very wrong to presume everyone who has an argument to put forward is anti anti-smoker. I'm far from it and have great respect for the people that don't smoke. My Father doesn't smoke and I wouldn't dream of lighting up in his home .... BUT if he comes to my home that is a different matter.

The original title of the this thread is 'Smoking near children should be punishable' the part I object to is 'the punishable' side of it. That is taking away my freedom to make a concious decision of whether I light up in front of a child or not!
Old 18-04-2006, 13:19   #167
God Member

I think children being near me when I'm smoking should be punishable!!!

JESUS can I not have a bit of peace and quiet while I have a ciggy!!

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 13:22   #168
I am Banned

What i object to is being told what to do by people who think they have the right!!! I am over 21 yrs old im not breaking the law & whats more who gives anyone the right to tell me what i should & shouldnt do unless its made as law!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 13:29   #169
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
I think children being near me when I'm smoking should be punishable!!!

JESUS can I not have a bit of peace and quiet while I have a ciggy!!
You bring an interesting point slinky which would it rather be a stressed out person getting very annoyed towards a child or least being calm having a cig...........
Old 18-04-2006, 13:46   #170
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Smoking near children should be a punishable offence!

Quote:
If I was a politician that would be a different matter and I would do something about it but even if I get elected I won't be in a position to make a difference to any of those issues. I'm going for local council not parliament!
Politician - noun a person who is professionally involved in politics, especially as a holder of an elected office.
You may not be in office yet Gayle but you are standing for an official office as a local councillor. That makes you a prospective politician. So if you get elected into office will you do something about the pollution in the atmosphere? I guess not because as you state you won’t be in a position to make any difference.
Quote:
If you feel so strongly about it what are you doing apart from sounding off about it on here? Have you lobbied your MP, have you written to the Prime Minister, have you got in touch with any organisations that are working to ban cars and transport?

My MP has had several communications about my pollution point. Sadly she hasn’t even seen fit to acknowledge receipt let alone actually reply. But what else can you expect from Labour.

By the way why shouldn’t I, as you put it, sound off on here? Isn’t that what a forum is for – to put forward a point of view? You sounded off about a young mum strapping her kids into a car with a fag in her gob. I suppose that you lobbied your MP about passive smoking?

If we really did breathe pure air without any pollutants all the various studies into passive smoking would have some substance. As it is passive smoking can only be a probable cause to respiratory diseases. Science is not infallible.
Old 18-04-2006, 15:12   #171

Yup, i think smoking near children is bad i have 3 children i smoke in the kitchen out the way of them but my oldest daughter smokes aswell it is bad but id rather her do it infront of me than behind my back

yogi bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 18:13   #172
God Member

I've not repeated anything, perhaps you should check back to see if you have. You obviously don'y realise that you have.
I haven't presumed everyone who has an argument is anti-anti, I haven't even said that the anti-anti's arguments are wrong, because a lot of the time they're right. I've just said that most of the arguments in this thread have little or nothing to do with smoking while strapping a child in to a car seat. Jambutty for examole wants cars banned.

The punishable side shouldn't come into it because a responsible parent wouldn't do it for reasons which have nothing to do with long term health and more to do with common sense.

A child near you should be a punishable offence, so if you went near a child thats in a car in a car seat, thats the childs fault for going near you.

You bring an interesting point slinky which would it rather be a stressed out person getting very annoyed towards a child or least being calm having a cig.......... You NEED a ciggarette to cope with your own child? you need to choke them, doesn't that just make them cry? ah you mean the smoke calms the child, like bees, got you.

Jam butty, you haven't really asked your mp to ban cars have you?, and you wonder why she hasn't answered.
God help you if you get in gayle, you've got all this to look forward to lol.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 18:32   #173
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
By the way why shouldn’t I, as you put it, sound off on here? Isn’t that what a forum is for – to put forward a point of view? You sounded off about a young mum strapping her kids into a car with a fag in her gob. I suppose that you lobbied your MP about passive smoking?
Seriously though, gayle sounding off is on topic, a topic which she started, you putting your point forward about banning cars is so far off topic it nearly beats my cash machine post.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 19:07   #174
I am Banned

Im a parent madhatter you aint so you cant possibley comment can you really as you aint a parent!!
Old 18-04-2006, 19:10   #175
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Seriously though, gayle sounding off is on topic, a topic which she started, you putting your point forward about banning cars is so far off topic it nearly beats my cash machine post.
erm related topic called a ............. debate mmmmm this windup merchant needs taxing!!!
Old 19-04-2006, 13:52   #176
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Smoking near children should be a punishable offence!

I have suggested to my MP Madhatter that the smoking ban was a hysterical knee jerk reaction to the anti smoking lobby but passive smoking was not the complete picture. I got no response about Fluoride or folic acid either.

And yes I did expect a reply or at least an acknowledgement of receipt. It’s called common courtesy.

I don’t recall stating that I want cars banned Madhatter. So be so kind as to not put words in my mouth. What I did say is that the infernal combustion engine causes more atmospheric pollution than tobacco ever did so targeting smokers and not vehicles as well is hypocrisy in the extreme.

So not being a parent disqualifies Madhatter from having an opinion on this issue does it accymel?

Wow! Big Brother is closer than I thought.
Old 19-04-2006, 14:31   #177
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
So not being a parent disqualifies Madhatter from having an opinion on this issue does it accymel?
Who jumped on your horse Jambutty?????????

It doesn't disqualify him but he cant truelly appreciate what demands of being a parent is until you are one!!! Im sure even us parents had quite a view of how to parent before we had our darlings & how we'd be & how they turn out how we wouldnt be like our parents at all mmmmmmmmm quite a different story when you have them though, nobody can truelly comprehend the responsibility & difficulty until you have your own

Didn't realise a non parent can tell a parent how to bring up children [oh so easily] ...or mind you why not im getting told how to run my life by the non smokers brigade
Old 19-04-2006, 14:51   #178
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Smoking near children should be a punishable offence!

I haven’t got a horse so I have no idea what you are chuntering on about accymel.
Old 19-04-2006, 14:58   #179
Give, give, give member

Who is your M.P. Jambutty, Janet Anderson?

When I've had no reply to a question, which I didn't last year from Conservative candidate James Mawdsley, I found as soon as I mentioned I'd posted about the lack of response on a local forum, my questions were answered pronto, ableit unsatisfactorily.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 15:03   #180
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Smoking near children should be a punishable offence!

Yes that’s her garinda but she is my MP be default. I didn’t vote for her.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..