Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree548Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2014, 07:02   #736
Beacon of light

Re: Christian Science

During my working life I had the pleasure of meeting and working with nuns,priests and vicars. In the main they were well grounded people who had God at the centre of their lives. They didn't ram it down your throat. They did not threaten you with their brethren if you did not, or could not see their point of view.
Yet in their own ways they did what they saw as God's work. They helped patients through difficult times not just with their religion, but with earthly practical help.

You can be spiritual/religious without being evangelical/fanatical about it.
Religious belief does not have be loud, it can be just as powerful spoken in a whisper.
Less, DtheP47, JCB and 1 others like this.
Accrington Web
Old 21-03-2014, 08:08   #737
Senior Member+

Well said Margaret.I just wish a certain person on this site could get that into his thick skull.
Old 21-03-2014, 09:42   #738
Beacon of light

I am going to use one of Cashy's favourite sayings....'You can't put sense where there is none'.
He is a fanatic. They can only ever see one point of view - that is, their own.
In truth, they care not about religion or God(though they will tell you otherwise)...they only care about propounding it to others who find their message unbelievable or unacceptable.
Their evangelical ways have actually got in the way of the reason that they give for 'promoting the word'.

We all have our own beliefs....mine are my own. Just because I do not go shouting from the rooftops does not mean I have no belief,or that I (or anyone else for that matter) am unworthy.

My nod to the 'higher being' is to live my life with care and consideration...to help others if I can. If that is not enough then so be it. It is all I have got.
Old 21-03-2014, 11:04   #739

By grace we have been saved through faith. And this is not our own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit. Yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.
Old 21-03-2014, 11:19   #740
God Member

You are eating too many of these
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waffle.jpg (8.3 KB, 5 views)

Old 21-03-2014, 12:00   #741
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by K99WARD View Post
By grace we have been saved through faith. And this is not our own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit. Yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.
You can continue to delude yourself in this way but do not try to delude anyone else.
We are not children to be preached hellfire and damnation at.

K99 you are as welcome as wasps at a picnic.
Restless likes this.
Old 21-03-2014, 12:05   #742
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

It won't be long before our full member appears like this:-

Quote:
K99WARD
I am Banned
Restless likes this.
Old 21-03-2014, 12:54   #743
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

K99 you are as welcome as wasps at a picnic.
And about as much use as teats on a bull ... but, in all that bs of his last (hopefully) kick at the can is the core of his distorted view of Christianity. It's an old debate: faith vs good works. True Christians, like my neighbors Don and Lilly, act on their faith, demonstrate it by trying to live as good people, giving their time and their cash to help others less fortunate than themselves. For creeps like Kevin it's all about something called faith. If you have it, it doesn't really matter how you act in this sub-lunary world. The poor can stay poor; the hungry can stay hungry, the lost sheep are shiite out of luck ... it's all about faith. It's a twisted take on Calvin's predestination of the elect and the damned.
Old 21-03-2014, 13:12   #744
Beacon of light

Yes Eric, in my book actions speak louder than words.
This man can do all the pontificating he likes on Broadway on a Thursday afternoon(makes mental note to stay away from Boradway on the Thursday)...all this spouting doesn not make him godly, or good(and I know he hasn't actually said it does, but the veiled implication, like the veiled threat, is there). This man believes himself to be superior to us - the hoi-polloi, by virtue of his faith and his evangelical ways.

It is those who live their lives by the tenets of Christianity, those who don't trumpet their faith, their goodness, their Godliness that impress me.
Those who do not see themsleves as doing anything out of the ordinary, those who do their deeds quietly(almost like a prayer)......like the people you mention Eric.
They promote faith(and I do not necessarily mean religion) by actions, not hollow empty words.
westendlass likes this.
Old 21-03-2014, 14:35   #745

May the God of Peace Bless you All
Old 21-03-2014, 15:11   #746
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Christian Science

Forgive him Father he knows not what bull shine he doth spout.
Restless likes this.
Old 21-03-2014, 15:14   #747
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I wish he would PEACE Off.
Old 21-03-2014, 15:25   #748

Many people continue to trust their own judgement even when God's inspired word says differently. This is not confined only to unbelievers but to many believers as well. Some end up in Bypath Meadow or Doubting Castle or at the Hill of Difficulty. Some fall victim to the Flatterer. It is odd how the world's best selling book is also the most hated. Fancy spending all that money just to be collecting dust on a shelf. These days the bible is repeated on the Internet over and over again in most versions. Even Google chips in with a wonderful search engine to find almost any topic in it. I confess that I use these more than a printed bible as it is much quicker to find topics that to thumb through a concordance.

Well it all boils down to whom one trusts. Do we trust in our own judgment or do we trust in the Lord. But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”

If you are in any doubt about the place names mentioned above then consult Google for the answers.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
Old 21-03-2014, 15:28   #749
Senior Member+

Quote:
May the God of nasal mucus Sneeze on you All (edited to be less obnoxious)
Which one is that, because its obviously not the one most Christians worship?. Looking around the world at a distinctive lack of peace.... well afterall Christians secretly wish for the end of the world... unlikely to happen with peace upon us all.

Quote:
. It is odd how the world's best selling book is also the most hated.
A tale of two cities by Charles Dickens is the most hated? hmm ok, if you say so

Last edited by Restless; 21-03-2014 at 15:33.
Old 21-03-2014, 15:29   #750
I am Banned

Neil how much longer are we going to have to put up with this stupid bible thumper.

Restless likes this.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..