Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2006, 15:59   #31
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Ramadan

I never said that people drop dead from fasting kash. All I stated was that a hungry person is unlikely to be at their best and as such would be more prone to making mistakes. In highly responsible jobs like surgery or in charge of a vehicle of any description with passengers on board puts them at a great risk than normal.
Old 28-09-2006, 16:01   #32
Resident Waffler

Re: Ramadan

I know plenty of people who aren't actively fasting who just prefer not to eat when working as it impairs their concentration. Oxygen going to the digestive system instead of the brain and all that. I can understand that because I tend to feel sleepy after eating.

We have a fast day once a month in our church and I've never felt any the worse for it. We can fast on other days too by personal choice if we have a specific purpose.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 16:01   #33

I get the bus eveyday and the bus driver will be fasting. His driving is just the same as it was before Ramadan.
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 16:03   #34
Resident Waffler

He's not the only bus driver who won't have eaten during the day - I know an English non-muslim one who just prefers not to eat for reasons previously stated.

Old 28-09-2006, 20:44   #35
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash
I dare any of you to keep a fast.
You choose to do it so what's the point in daring us???

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 23:30   #36
Resident Waffler

Shouldn't it be part of the fasting that one doesn't boast about it?

Old 28-09-2006, 23:57   #37
Give, give, give member

All religions have what seem some strage practices to outsiders.

Here are some Christians in the Philippines practicing flagellation. Makes fasting look pretty normal to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 123552955_9f4cc025ee.jpg (130.3 KB, 12 views)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 00:12   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
I applaud those who fast as part of their religious beliefs. Christians have Lent and how many actually follow Lent as it is meant to be?
hey i'm not having that spug - ive been known to give up mountain climbing, abesailing, and allsorts for lent.
Old 29-09-2006, 07:01   #39
Resident Waffler

When I was at school I once gave up white or whitish things for lent (no spuds or white bread or rice or spaghetti). I have no idea why I did that apart from it being a bit of a challenge. My friend said I would have been better going for green and avoiding the soggy cabbage.

I think I prefer fasting to flagellation too

Old 29-09-2006, 14:35   #40

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kash
I dare any of you to keep a fast.

You choose to do it so what's the point in daring us???
It was just a figure of speech. your right willow one shouldn't boast about it and i'm sorry if it sounded like I was.
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 15:10   #41
Resident Waffler

I was actually thinking about this today and wondering how I would feel about fasting daily for a month compared to one day a month. You have given me food for thought kash if you'll pardon the expression. With a specific purpose in mind I think I might give it a go.

Old 29-09-2006, 20:05   #42

I was brought up in a strict Roman Catholic home and Lent was taken very seriously. What I remember most was not the fact that we fasted, avoided meat and went to church each day, but that Lent was just different to the rest of the year. Nothing special, or even deeply religious just different. One thing though it did make the evening of the Saturday prior to Easter Sunday special when we celebrated the end of Lent.

To thine own self be true
BillGreene is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..