Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2006, 15:32   #16
I am Banned

Re: Over the Pond!

Oh god please not another yank over here.
silvermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-12-2006, 15:58   #17
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billcat View Post
Can't help you with the fellow south of the Mason-Dixon line, though!
Yeah, that's Northern hospitality for ya!

As for Mr. "Bundle of Joy " Slivermain, just be glad it wasn't 2 of us 3 headed, evil, overweight . . . Americans coming over for a cuppa with ya !

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 18:32   #18
I am Banned

You wont a cuppa in my house pal.
Old 17-12-2006, 02:11   #19
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermain View Post
You wont a cuppa in my house pal.
Sure mate. I'll be over around April/May. Where do you and Fred West live? Just for me own clarification, how many Americans have you met personally. I've looked through your "thoughts" on Americans and figure you've spent alot of time over here and/or have go to school, been on teams, worked side by side, with alot of us to make your strongly held views?

Just for the record, I'm a bit different, for better or worse, then your "garden variety" American.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 03:11   #20
Give, give, give member

Silvermain is employed by the English Tourist Board to dress up as a friendly yokel, I fear it leaves him feeling a little tetchy sometimes.

The rest of us always have the kettle on for our American cousins.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 06:22   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermain View Post
Oh god please not another yank over here.
Here is one who wasn't too bad:

Squadron Leader John Joseph Lynch jr.
RAF 249th Fighter Squadron (Malta)

John Joseph Lynch jr., an American from Alhambra, California, joined the RAF in July 1941 as a Pilot Officer.

In 1943 while CO of the RAF 249th Fighter Squadron (Spitfires) stationed on Malta, now Squadron Leader Lynch won an RAF sweepstake prize of 129 pounds sterling by shooting down the 100th enemy airplane (a German Ju-52 transport off the coast of Sicily) by a Malta based RAF Pilot. The sweepstake prize was put up by contributions from RAF personnel stationed on Malta.

Newspaper clipping, Crusader, 8th Army Newspaper
10 May 1943

The 249th was originally formed as a Spitfire squadron in May 1940, then participated in the Battle of Britain as a Hurricane squadron, subsequently switching back to Spitfires in 1942 when it was assigned to Malta -- thereafter participating in the Italian and Yugoslavian campaigns. Squadron Leader Lynch was originally assigned to the 71st RAF Eagle Squadron which had been constituted as part of the RAF's Fighter Command on 19 September 1940 at Church Fenton, southern England with all it's pilots being American volunteers. The squadron flew Hawker Hurricane fighter aircraft during the Battle of Britain, switching to Spitfires in September 1941. On 29 September 1942 the 71st Squadron was disbanded and most of its members joined the USAAF.

British Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC)

Squadron Leader Lynch is listed as both a British and American WW2 Ace with 13 recorded kills -- 1 with the 71st RAF Eagle Squadron and 12 with the RAF 249th Fighter Squadron. He was subsequently awarded the British Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC).

History of the 71st RAF Eagle Squadron

Eagle Squadrons List of WW2 Aces
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 09:53   #22
I am Banned

garinda i dont have that beard anymore.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..