Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 08:18   #76

Re: Greg Pope's accessibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Either that or being blue means they think they can look down and ignore people.
I think you have made a good point, they probably think that we don't know how place, by our comments on here. After all they do consider that they were born to rule us - and don't like the pesants getting above their station in life.

I also think, that it was a valid point, raised (I think by Garinda ), that on here they need to give a quick reply, but can take their time to compose a reply to a letter to the Observer.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2007, 08:55   #77
God Member

To be fair, not everyone can respond straight away, there are management/leadership tests that place you in a matrix, some people are naturally impulsive and response/act immediately, some prefer to consider their options and respond in a more timely manner, neither is right or wrong. I fall heavily in the responds quickly catagory but during a leadership initiative I was selected for I found an ally in a girl who was my alter ego. Between us we learnt how each other POV would be different and together we made an awesome team, she tempered my quick responses and I drove out her confidence in making a reasoned decision quickly. It balanced nicely and we rarely lost a debate.

I do believe they are missing an opportunity to discuss and defend their policies and to be seen to be accountable though.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:14   #78
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I also think, that it was a valid point, raised (I think by Garinda ), that on here they need to give a quick reply, but can take their time to compose a reply to a letter to the Observer.
If it was me, then I disagree with myself.

The beauty of a forum like Accy Web is that it gives everyone a voice. Unlike a debate you don't have to be a good orator, or have to think too quickly on your feet. You can take your time to consider what you want to say, and even spelling and grammar is irrelevant to a point, as in the past some very good and interesting posts have been made on here without much evidence either of those two things.

It's what you say that is important, not how you say it, in my opinion.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:28   #79
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Strange how all these soft arse Tories aren't afraid to use the letter pages of the press to air their views, yet find the democratic forum that is Accy Web, to frightening and daunting a place.
when Tim O Kane was Labour leader of the Labour group on Hyndburn Council, he was the object of John Farrar's attention, regularly doing verbal battle in the Accrington Observer, never once did he get the better of Tim. Both of these gentlemen are known to me, as now is Gary,(rindy) and I can assure all our members the outcome will be the same.
Have no mercy with this 'windbag' gary go get him.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 15:55   #80
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Have no mercy with this 'windbag' gary go get him.
I have decided to show mercy on those less fortunate than myself.

It was never my intention to enter into a long winded correspondence with Mr. Farrer via the letter pages of the Observer, mainly because I fear it would give him pleasure.

We know he reads the forum, even though he hasn't posted for a while. Therefore he now knows that his wild accusation of bias towards Labour on Accy Web, is totally untrue.

Besides, I'd hate to be the one who caused him to use another wrong word in a public domain, and the ensuing embarrassment that might cause. As an ex-primary school teacher, perhaps his chum Peter Britcliffe could teach him the correct use of the word disenfrancise.

If anyone else here cares to write to correct him, that is up to themselves.

Old 11-08-2007, 21:15   #81
God Member

Quote:
I have decided to show mercy on those less fortunate than myself.

It was never my intention to enter into a long winded correspondence with Mr. Farrer via the letter pages of the Observer, mainly because I fear it would give him pleasure.

We know he reads the forum, even though he hasn't posted for a while. Therefore he now knows that his wild accusation of bias towards Labour on Accy Web, is totally untrue.

Besides, I'd hate to be the one who caused him to use another wrong word in a public domain, and the ensuing embarrassment that might cause. As an ex-primary school teacher, perhaps his chum Peter Britcliffe could teach him the correct use of the word disenfrancise.

If anyone else here cares to write to correct him, that is up to themselves.
I think you're doing the right thing,Garinda.It would look a bit silly him writing a letter one week and then you keep sending one back the next week.The paper would probably stop printing them anyway once it turned into a regular slanging match.I have never had dealings with Greg myself but I gather from people on here and from one of my friends who he's helped with her tax credits that he is very accessible and helpful.
I didn't really get what John Farrer was trying to say to be honest.I thought it was irrelevant to mention Ken Hargreaves as he has not been our MP for years and years and for some reason so why bother comparing him to Greg?John Farrer also seemed very concerned as to how the pensioners of Great Harwood could contact Greg.If they cannot get on a bus to his office then I'm sure they could ring him to discuss problems and if a face to face discussion was required and they were housebound he would probably go to them.
The result of your poll did surprise me as I said I got the impression that most people were Labour on here but I admit when I'm wrong,I see it turned out that most people who voted on the poll have no particular political affiliation so it's not fair to say they're all Labour,it's just that there's hardly any Conservatives!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 10:28   #82
Give, give, give member

The last time I wrote to the Observer, in 1981, I received death threats, so I guess this is a somewhat better outcome.

I've just received a letter through the post from John Farrer.

In it he says 'whenever there is a serious thread started within ten to fifteen minutes post somebody (sic) starts taking the **** and trivialises it, and I have to say you are one of the main culprits.'

Would that be in threads were I've praised HBC for giving us the flower towers, or when I've said that I know Peter Britcliffe has helped people I know, or when Ken Hargreaves helped myself, or indeed when I've ctiticised the Labour government taking us into the war in Iraq?

I think someone has totally selective vision.

I shall carry on both praising and criticizing were I see fit, regardless of political affiliations.

He did say he can't post because there is a problem with his Jaysay account, and the tone of the letter was quite friendly, so if you are reading this, thank you.

Old 15-08-2007, 10:46   #83
I am Banned

Why did u get death threats for Rindy ???

Nice that he replied well to you, tho accyweb is really not a political stage as to what he's accustoned to expect, it really is a community forum no more no less, but as its been proved things can be changed or improved indirect or even direct thro this forum
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 11:30   #84
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Why did u get death threats for Rindy ??
I challenged and corrected something written by the then leader of the local National Front in Accrington.

Old 15-08-2007, 11:35   #85
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I challenged and corrected something written by the then leader of the local National Front in Accrington.
that wouldn't be difficult with those mindless numpties, good on yer.
Old 01-09-2007, 22:27   #86
Give, give, give member

I was just being nosey and saw on Speedy's profile that he found Accy Web through the 'local press'.

That's at least one more new member.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:45   #87
Resident Waffler

Ooh looks like I missed all the fun while I was away. Nice letter by the way G.

How silly to suggest that AccyWeb has an anti-Tory bias. It may well have a number of members who have an anti-Britcliffe bias but that's usually based on being a tad cheesed off with daft ideas like wasting money on changing the name of the borough and backing it up with claims of royal support for the idea.

Suggesting that Greg Pope is less approachable than Ken Hargreaves was is extremely naive.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 22:24   #88
Give, give, give member

I've done something I've never done before today, I contacted my M.P.

Ken Hargreaves once helped me with a problem years ago when I was at college, but that was done through my granny.

I don't really have a problem, but I wanted Greg Pope to know what I thought about the forthcoming Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill, which M.P.s are to have a free vote on. After all how can we expect people to represent us if we don't tell them our thoughts?

I emailed Greg, and he replied a couple of hours later. He told me his thoughts on the matter, as well as offering to call or meet me if I had anything else to add.

In the great scheme of things not really a matter of great importance, but personally I'm happier that however he decides to vote on this controversial and emotive issue, my M.P. will at least know how one of his constituents feels, and how it might affect my life.

Old 02-05-2008, 22:41   #89
Senior Member+

I've contacted Greg on a few issues before and always found him to be helpful and prompt with his advice and help.
He is a nice bloke and very approachable !
( ps Greg it was me that said Hi to you outside Argos last week, new haircut !)
Old 02-05-2008, 22:48   #90
Senior Member+

Quote:
I've done something I've never done before today, I contacted my M.P.

Ken Hargreaves once helped me with a problem years ago when I was at college, but that was done through my granny.

I don't really have a problem, but I wanted Greg Pope to know what I thought about the forthcoming Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill, which M.P.s are to have a free vote on. After all how can we expect people to represent us if we don't tell them our thoughts?

I emailed Greg, and he replied a couple of hours later. He told me his thoughts on the matter, as well as offering to call or meet me if I had anything else to add.

In the great scheme of things not really a matter of great importance, but personally I'm happier that however he decides to vote on this controversial and emotive issue, my M.P. will at least know how one of his constituents feels, and how it might affect my life.
Rindy...please could you start a thread about this? ive just had a bit of a google on it and it looks interesting... mybe you could explain it better?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..