Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should public money fund community art projects?
Yes, it should. I value them. 3 11.54%
No, it shouldn't. I don't see their value. 23 88.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010, 19:10   #676
Give, give, give member

Re: The value of public funded art

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
Flashmob FAQs | Flashmob.co.uk

What is a Flash Mob?
It’s a sudden gathering of people into a crowd that do something unusual for a few minutes in unison and then disperse.
Who runs Flash Mobs?
Flash mobs are run by individual people for the fun of it. There are no organisations behind real Flash Mobs, though there have been many gatherings using Flash Mob principles organised by commercial interests.
How can I go to a Flash Mob?
You need to find a group that is close to your location flashmob.co.uk should be one of your choices for keeping in touch by reading the site and following us on Twitter and you could through social networking sites such as Facebook and Myspace for groups setting up Flash Mobs.
Do I need props?
Generally no, though themed flashmobs are on the increase, but if an item is needed you will be notified in the instructions e-mailed to you.
Can I dress up for a Flash Mob?
Generally this is frowned upon as the idea is for a crowd to suddenly appear out of nowhere and if everyone is dressed as clowns it may just give the game away!
Can you do a Flash Mob for my product launch?
Several corporates have tried this, the first to really jump on the bandwagon were the band Jane’s Addiction and certain news media companies did their own banana based stunt in London. Yes you can do a commercial version of flash mobbing but don’t expect any help from traditional Flash mob organisers - if you can find them. The whole spirit of the idea gets a little bit tainted as soon as anyone tries to use flash mobs as a communication exercise and the public can be quite cynical about your objectives. But if you do go ahead then do remember that success relies on ordinary members of the public enjoying themselves - how would you feel being used to promote something you may not believe in.
There has never been a Flash Mob in my town, can I set one up?
Yes go ahead and do it - enjoy yourself. If you need help and tips then get in contact by e-mail with the organisers of other flash mob groups who will give you plenty of advice. Look for contact details on Twitter, Facebook, Myspace or flash mob websites, or Yahoo/Google Groups.
All that misses off another vital point...

'The term flash mob is generally applied only to gatherings organized via telecommunications, social media, or viral emails.'

'The term is generally not applied to events organized by public relation firms, protests, and publicity stunts.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_mob

Otherwise it loses it's spontaneity, energy, and point really, and would be considered a bit naff, by anyone with any real artistic integrity.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2010, 19:11   #677
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Flashmob FAQs | Flashmob.co.uk

What is a Flash Mob?
It’s a sudden gathering of people into a crowd that do something unusual for a few minutes in unison and then disperse.
Who runs Flash Mobs?
Flash mobs are run by individual people for the fun of it. There are no organisations behind real Flash Mobs, though there have been many gatherings using Flash Mob principles organised by commercial interests.
How can I go to a Flash Mob?
You need to find a group that is close to your location flashmob.co.uk should be one of your choices for keeping in touch by reading the site and following us on Twitter and you could through social networking sites such as Facebook and Myspace for groups setting up Flash Mobs.
Do I need props?
Generally no, though themed flashmobs are on the increase, but if an item is needed you will be notified in the instructions e-mailed to you.
Can I dress up for a Flash Mob?
Generally this is frowned upon as the idea is for a crowd to suddenly appear out of nowhere and if everyone is dressed as clowns it may just give the game away!
Can you do a Flash Mob for my product launch?
Several corporates have tried this, the first to really jump on the bandwagon were the band Jane’s Addiction and certain news media companies did their own banana based stunt in London. Yes you can do a commercial version of flash mobbing but don’t expect any help from traditional Flash mob organisers - if you can find them. The whole spirit of the idea gets a little bit tainted as soon as anyone tries to use flash mobs as a communication exercise and the public can be quite cynical about your objectives. But if you do go ahead then do remember that success relies on ordinary members of the public enjoying themselves - how would you feel being used to promote something you may not believe in.
There has never been a Flash Mob in my town, can I set one up?
Yes go ahead and do it - enjoy yourself. If you need help and tips then get in contact by e-mail with the organisers of other flash mob groups who will give you plenty of advice. Look for contact details on Twitter, Facebook, Myspace or flash mob websites, or Yahoo/Google Groups.
All that misses off another vital point...

'The term flash mob is generally applied only to gatherings organized via telecommunications, social media, or viral emails.'

'The term is generally not applied to events organized by public relation firms, protests, and publicity stunts.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_mob

Otherwise it loses it's spontaneity, energy, and point really, and would be considered a bit naff, by anyone with any real artistic integrity.

Certainly by the cool youths, who started doing them ten years ago.

Old 11-11-2010, 19:17   #678
God Member

Well, folks - I think we've got the point across now. Whatever this is in Accy, it ain't a flash mob event.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 19:22   #679
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Well, folks - I think we've got the point across now. Whatever this is in Accy, it ain't a flash mob event.
There's one thing it definitely is though.

Costly.

Old 11-11-2010, 19:52   #680

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
sorry to go back to the flash mob ... but on the flash mob website .. which advertises them .. it does have Dance accy on it .. but its the only one with funding .. none of the rest mention it at all ...

Flashmob Dancing Accy | Flashmob.co.uk

On 20th November, between 1pm and 2pm, there will be a Flash Mob in Accrington Town Centre. Four dances will happen during the hour. Assemble on Broadway in Accrington to watch and join in.
This is phase 3 of project called Liberating Empty Terrain which aims to bring people back into Accrington Town Centre. Phase 1 and 2 included Mapping Accy, Animating Accy and Crotcheting Accy.
This project is co-funded by Hyndburn Borough Council and the Arts Council via Creativity Works and is part of a Pennine Lancashire Initiative to reinvigorate town centres.

plymouth's:
It’s getting cold and everyone needs a hug right? So how about we get as many of the good people of plymouth in the same place, at the same time and share a hug with friends and strangers to let eachother know that actually, most people really are cool and friendly.
so, the plan- everyone turn up on armada way between the big sundial and the big screen at about 1:55pm on the 13th of november and keep an eye on the clock on the big screen, so at 2pm exactly…hug a friend, hug a stranger, hug your mum, hug my mum, hug both our mums at the same time, hug whoever you want to hug.
the rules
1- respect other people’s personal space, ask someone if they want a hug before you go for it
2-hugs will go on as long as they have to
3-no bottom pinching. see rule 1.
4-invite your friends and let’s see how many people we can have hugging at once

Now go forth and spread the word!
Invite everyone you know who thinks life is better when you’ve just had a hug, everyone who believes strangers are really nice people as well and everyone who still thinks love can change the world!

Leeds:
At 3pm on saturday the 25th of november we meet up at a site yet to be decided sync watches then head to the centre of brigate in leeds. People need to looks like they are going about there general business but be around the right area as soon as it hits 3pm people freeze for 5min and then carry on after the 5 min has gone.

Manchester:
To take place in the centre of Manchester. A flashmob about giving, interacting with strangers and simple kindness, because we don’t have enough of that, right? A massive group of people will assemble and as the clocks strike 12pm, get on their knees, and present to a complete stranger a gift. It could be small and seemingly insignificant - a balloon, or a banana, or a spoon. Or it could be your red Ferrari as you have one lying around, cluttering the drive. Whatever you want. It’s time to put a (bemused) smile on someone’s face! Check out our website at mobtogive.tumblr.com

Theyre simple .. dont need to learn a dance ..
Hey Irish, did it really take you 670 posts to google flash mob?

And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Again, no thanks, in helping promote the event.

I'm sure we'll all have learnt the steps soon, and we'll then consider it money very well spent.

YouTube - civicartscentre's Channel

Responded to by garinda
Although if you'd gone down the more tradition route, the costs would have been zilch...

Quote:

Approach local dance schol. Find out who is good, and perhaps wants to dance as a career. Ask if they'd help video an easy to learn sequence, which would be filmed, after promissing them you'll write a reference, if/when they apply to study dance at college, and perhaps throw in a new pair of leg-warmers.

Make sure details of event, and video showing what people should do at allotted time of flash mob, are sent to every school, youth club, community centre, whoever else might be interested, in the area.

Sit back, and watch it happen.

Responded to by garinda
No fees, no admin. charges, no charge for performance co-ordination.

Nothing required from the public purse at all.

A great fat zero, and a saving of £1,160.00

That has to be a first, even for an accyweb pedant/troll/spammer....quoting and responding to ones own post..

There's always one...sits at the end of the bar, bores the crap out of everyone, keeps on harping on the same point..over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Why not just use copy/paste and a disclaimer..something along the lines of 'here is yet another post from me in this thread where I am posting the same thing AGAIN but one or two words may be added in yet another vain attempt at humour/wit/sarcasm/irony/name dropping' (delete as appropriate)

Yawn!
Old 11-11-2010, 19:58   #681
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
There's one thing it definitely is though.

Costly.
Nah, to quote the fiscal Jaysay, 'it's only two bob', I just don't remember agreeing to spending it last time I voted.
How small was the small print on the candidates agenda?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 20:08   #682
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I think you may just have fired the opening salvoes there "Guinness". As you are likely to find out very soon ! On firing the gun don't be so surprised at the God awful bang that follows !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 20:15   #683
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I think you may just have fired the opening salvoes there "Guinness". As you are likely to find out very soon ! On firing the gun don't be so surprised at the God awful bang that follows !
Looks like we're in for a good cat fight here.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 20:22   #684
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Looks like we're in for a good cat fight here.
My very thoughts Mr.T'leaf, can't wait !

Think they should start a new thread ? "Battle of the G's !" "The G sport ?" just suggestions mind.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 11-11-2010 at 20:26.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 20:34   #685
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

And...

Quote:

I'm sure we'll all have learnt the steps soon, and we'll then consider it money very well spent.

Responded to by garinda
Although if you'd gone down the more tradition route, the costs would have been zilch...

Quote:

Approach local dance schol. Find out who is good, and perhaps wants to dance as a career. Ask if they'd help video an easy to learn sequence, which would be filmed, after promissing them you'll write a reference, if/when they apply to study dance at college, and perhaps throw in a new pair of leg-warmers.

Make sure details of event, and video showing what people should do at allotted time of flash mob, are sent to every school, youth club, community centre, whoever else might be interested, in the area.

Responded to by garinda

That has to be a first, even for an accyweb pedant/troll/spammer....quoting and responding to ones own post..

There's always one...sits at the end of the bar, bores the crap out of everyone, keeps on harping on the same point..over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Why not just use copy/paste and a disclaimer..something along the lines of 'here is yet another post from me in this thread where I am posting the same thing AGAIN but one or two words may be added in yet another vain attempt at humour/wit/sarcasm/irony/name dropping' (delete as appropriate)

Yawn!
Being the type of artist that you are, if you too are after funding, rather than local government, the lottery, or the Arts Council, your first port of call should really be at a health clinic.

Good luck.

Old 11-11-2010, 20:36   #686
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Take a closer look, Guiness has been a member since 2004 and managed 104 posts, I think I'll stick with Rindy, he posts often and interestingly?
Compare the two? Rindys input helps keeps the site alive for Guiness to criticise.

Last edited by Less; 11-11-2010 at 20:38.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 20:43   #687
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Oh I've run rings around that racist, anti-Islamic fool, many times before.

He's hardly worth bothering to respond to.

To use an art analogy.

He's a crocheter, to my Caravaggio.

Read his old posts.

A comic work of art.

Priceless.

Old 11-11-2010, 20:50   #688
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Nah, to quote the fiscal Jaysay, 'it's only two bob', I just don't remember agreeing to spending it last time I voted.
How small was the small print on the candidates agenda?

It'd be interesting as to why we were told, quite clearly, that the flash mob event was 'only' costing a thousand pounds. When it seems there's clear evidence it cost £1,160.00.

A difference of more than just 'two bob'.

It doesn't fill you with confidence, that the true costs will ever become public knowledge.

Thus making it impossible for the public to truly work out the value to them of publicly funded art.

Old 11-11-2010, 20:53   #689

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Take a closer look, Guiness has been a member since 2004 and managed 104 posts, I think I'll stick with Rindy, he posts often and interestingly?
Compare the two? Rindys input helps keeps the site alive for Guiness to criticise.
Yup, you are correct, been around a while, and yeah I'm a lurker.

Recall when you were first asked to join by yr lad and give input on Monte Cristo.....'Less the food critic', yeah I was there when you took your first tentative steps here :P

And yes again, garinda keeps the site alive, but that dont mean he's fire proof and cant be assailed by us lurkers when we think he is wrong.

After all in this thread we have less than 30 voters....does that mean we have only 30 people who are interested in the thread?

Are people only measured by post count? I could answer my own over and over and over and over and over again to get my post count up if you want. In fact I could even answer my own posts too!
Old 11-11-2010, 20:56   #690
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

And...

Quote:

Responded to by garinda

Quote:

Responded to by garinda

Yawn!
Er..to anyone but a fool, I quoted my own post, to illustrate that I'd already suggested a free way of having a flash mob, via a clip on YouTube, after showing this event had subsequently done the same thing...but at some greater cost to the public purse. My costings equalled zero, not £1,160.00

Pretty colours, in your post, by the way.

Did those nice teachers show you how to do that, when you weren't busy licking the windows?

Very artistic.

Well done you.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..