Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2004, 20:03   #61

Re: Execution in Iraq

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3565848 Sent me today by a ex comrade we visited this squadron earlier this year and met a lot of the lads who are involved out there pray they all get back safely
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-09-2004, 21:28   #62
Senior Member+

We are getting desperate when we have to use Rockapes to chase insurgents.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2004, 23:15   #63
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
The King James Version as far as I am aware, which I picked up from a mormon site.
Well that is the first English translation and the one I prefer to use. I once toyed with the idea of trying to learn to read the older things like Latin or even Hebrew/Greek but never got very far with that. I used to know a man who went to Cannon St Baptist church many years ago (He's dead now) and he was a great scholar, had studies lots of 'original text' and knew a great deal of background. He was amazing to talk to. Of course the Greek wasn't even original either because Jesus and his companions spoke Aramaic.

Of course to really understand you have to keep the verses in context. It's possible to make things say anything you like if you string a few bits together out of context. If you travel on a bit further from the verse about the sword you'll find that they had 2 and Jesus said that was enough - but later in Gethsemane when one was used to chop off the ear of a Roman soldier, he restored the ear. So he wasn't telling the disciples to attack the Romans by the look of that.

What was the site you were looking at?

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 30-09-2004 at 23:16. Reason: typo correction
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2004, 23:21   #64
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3565848 Sent me today by a ex comrade we visited this squadron earlier this year and met a lot of the lads who are involved out there pray they all get back safely
Will do Keith. That gives us an insight into what it must be like out there and just how volatile people are.

Old 01-10-2004, 07:02   #65
God Member

>>Of course to really understand you have to keep the verses in context. It's possible to make things say anything you like if you string a few bits together out of context.<<

Exactly! This little exercise shows how careful we all have to be. I'm sorry if I offended anyones sensibilities. That wasn't my intention. It is what is in your heart that matters and how you order your life by it , not what is on the page.

It doesn't take the world's greatest intellect to divine what is in the hearts of the barbarians who currently hold Ken Bigley hostage. Though sometimes it is difficult to sort through their wilful mangling of the truth. Sadly, it is not only the barbarians who are prepared to mangle the truth to suit their ends.

There is another pertinent quote from the New Testament which may serve us all well in the coming days and years, Matt 7:16

"By their fruits shall ye know them."

Old 01-10-2004, 07:12   #66
Resident Waffler

There's another good one after that too and I'll risk quoting this out of context myself:

"Not everyone that saith unto me "Lord Lord" shall enter into the Kingdom of Heaven..............."

Old 01-10-2004, 07:31   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsmacked
Not even in a new thread? I don't see anyone else objecting. Funnily enough it hasn't even been objected to by moderators as a threadwander. Perhaps it had a valid place in the general theme of the discussion.
Sorry Gobsmacked...That was not my point or intention. What I meant was: "that discussion of that subject was endless and wouldn't go anywhere. There has been enough talking about Protestants and Catholics...IRA - UDA for several generations and it goes absolutely nowhere".
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 07:33   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
There's another good one after that too and I'll risk quoting this out of context myself:

"Not everyone that saith unto me "Lord Lord" shall enter into the Kingdom of Heaven..............."
Sorry Willow, I know you mean well, but...
Please............... lets not have any quotes from the Bible...we get nowhere, and they are as endless as religion is!! And prove very little!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:59   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
Sorry Willow, I know you mean well, but...
Please............... lets not have any quotes from the Bible...we get nowhere, and they are as endless as religion is!! And prove very little!
Unless of course Darby, This Book which has survived and been distributed more than any other, Was written by the Creator(yes using men to hold the pens) of all that is in the universe, and contained instruction's on how HE want's us to aim our live's ?? If that was true would it not be worth considering??

P.s Any religion that goes to war or carries on in any act's of terror can not have Gods approval can it. since he condem's such act's in his instruction book. So any such Religion can be descarded as False..

Only my opinion
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 14:04   #70
Resident Waffler

Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's Simon and good to hear.

Alas there are those who will always disagree and it is their choice to do so. We just have to accept that. They will no more convince me that my beliefs are pointless any more than I am likely to convince them that they aren't. I just hope they don't get mad at me in the end for not trying hard enough.

Old 02-10-2004, 09:08   #71
God Member

What do we now make of the news that Ken Bigley's brother has had his home in Amsterdam Raided by British And Dutch Intelligence who copied the contents of his computer and compelled him to sign a five page report on what they found?
Old 02-10-2004, 15:14   #72
Resident Waffler

What indeed? From what I heard on the radio this morning he is apparently complaining that the police investigation is hampering his attempts to rescue his brother. Very interesting. I've also found it strange that the two Americans were executed (I use the term loosely because I honestly would prefer to use "murdered") almost immediately and yet no further action seems to have been taken against Ken Bigley.

Old 08-10-2004, 17:38   #73
God Member

It was announced by the BBC this evening that Ken Bigley was executed in Latifiah in Iraq yesterday afternoon.

I am sure that all our sympathy and prayers are with his family on this terrible evening.

For his murderers I have nothing but absolute contempt. I scorn their aims and objectives. They are without honour. They are not men. They are cowards and fools.
They are despicable, revolting, disgusting and lower than animals.

I, for one, will hear no attempt to excuse nor explain their actions, and anyone who attempts such, I will tar with the same brush!
Old 08-10-2004, 18:06   #74
mez
God Member

im with you bob, ive no words to express how i feel !
Old 08-10-2004, 19:42   #75

Terrible news. It chills me to the bone when I think about the manner in whihc he was murdered - yes..murdered not executed.

Full marks must go to the Spanish and Italian governments for giving in to terrorists and showing them the green light as their actions have put every innocent person under threat. It goes to show how beyond reach these disgusting people are when they ignore pleas from those who share their faith - albeit a shared faith in name only as what these scum-stricken pieces of grief claim to do in the name of Allah has nothing to do with Islam.

I hope that people dont turn this whole sorry episode into a tool for scoring political points however - Blair and his Government did all they could to gain Mr.Bigleys release bar give in to the terrorists demands...a course of action that could never have been taken. I feel for the family of Mr.Bigley and may he be at peace now after his terrible ordeal, but I also feel for Blair and his government as they must feel an overpowering sense of guilt. However...there is no one responsible for Mr.Bigleys death apart from the satan-spawned filth who murdered him.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..