Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2013, 12:38   #601

Re: Town Centre Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Spot on about Leigh Wyn its like Regent Street compared to Accy, My other half lives in the next town and I often went shopping with here, in fact she won't even entertain shopping in Accy when she's over, the nearest to doing any shopping over here is Ossy Mills
I've heard a lot of Ossy Mills. I guess it is in Oswaldtwistle,where, and what type of shopping is it?.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-05-2013, 12:46   #602
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
I've heard a lot of Ossy Mills. I guess it is in Oswaldtwistle,where, and what type of shopping is it?.
It's a converted cotton mill

Oswaldtwistle Mills - Shopping Centres / Shopping Outlets & Tourist Attractions in England, Days Out In The UK

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 17:27   #603
Resting in Peace

Quote:
There's something for everybody really, I like Stockleys Sweets myself
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 11:42   #604

I was a weaver, and whilst the kids were growing up, i did part time night work at that mill on Moscow Mill St
Old 23-05-2013, 12:20   #605
God Member

Quote:

ossy and over priced
Alan Varrechia likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 12:22   #606
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I was a weaver, and whilst the kids were growing up, i did part time night work at that mill on Moscow Mill St
The mill on moscow mill st wasn't ossy mills irene, the mill yeh on about was directly facing Pickups Arms i think.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:40   #607
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I know I keep banging on about this, but quite often I go into Leigh for my daily brew and a spot of shopping with Mrs H. It's a similar-sized post-industrial town and like Accy, is sandwiched between two bigger towns - Wigan and Bolton.....
According to wikipedia Leigh has a population of 43,000 and Accrington has a population of 35,000 which makes Accrington just over 3/4 the population of Leigh.

Darwen has a population of 31,500 so is closer to Accrington in size, what's it's market and shopping centre like?

Bury is often mentioned as having a good market/shopping centre with a population of almost 61,000.

It's not just the number though, you have to look at the spending power of those people. That is what the retailers look at when they decide if they want to move into or leave Accrington

Chorley is smaller than Accrington by about 3,000 but I suspect will have more spending power
Old 23-05-2013, 13:05   #608
God Member

darwen may be closer to accy in size but darwen dosnt have an abhorant arndale center ,tescos and asda supermarkets

they have just got a morrisons a few years back so the destruction of tehir town center may be in the early stages but up until that point darwens indoor market and side street shops were more than adequate for a town of its size

its just a pitty our council didnt realise the same and stopped trying to make accrington to be something it isnt

the arndale didnt attract buisness to accrington it simply moved them from broadway into teh arndale and then a couple of years later the big names moved to whitebirk taking shoppers to blackburn

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 23-05-2013, 14:03   #609

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The mill on moscow mill st wasn't ossy mills irene, the mill yeh on about was directly facing Pickups Arms i think.
It did have a name but i can't remember. It's many moons ago.
Old 23-05-2013, 18:05   #610
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
It did have a name but i can't remember. It's many moons ago.
Yeh not alone, i used to know the name but i forgot n its one i should remember without any doubt, but thats another story.
Old 23-05-2013, 18:12   #611
God Member

think it used to be £1 to get in to see the worlds largest pear drop.

i thought it was a bargain until i was told you couldnt lick it

Old 23-05-2013, 18:34   #612
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
There's something for everybody really, I like Stockleys Sweets myself
Its nowt like the Stockleys when Wilf & his brother owned it, back in the 1960's
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 18:45   #613
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Its nowt like the Stockleys when Wilf & his brother owned it, back in the 1960's
When the were down Church Walter
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 18:53   #614
God Member

I think the name of the mill was Enfield.
My dad was a tackler there for a few years before he retired.

Katex would know because she worked at Ossy Mills, but she doesn't come here much now.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 18:58   #615
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I think the name of the mill was Enfield.
My dad was a tackler there for a few years before he retired.

Katex would know because she worked at Ossy Mills, but she doesn't come here much now.
Aint on about the ossy mills mill Margaret, I worked at Enfield in 60s, on about the name of mill that faced the Pickups Arms.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..