Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2013, 22:14   #631
Full Member+

Re: Town Centre Changes

Will there even be an Accrington next time I visit?
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-05-2013, 22:58   #632

The Great Harwood Farmers' Market is now held on Town Gate, the main square in the centre of Great Harwood, on the first Sunday morning of the month - there's one this Sunday. I haven't had chance to go yet but I believe it's very popular! As Gayle says, it isn't a Council initiative although they now have some involvement. There are some residents pressing for a Farmers' Market in Oswaldtwistle but we would have to find a site and it would need someone to back it in the way that Gaskell Motorbodies do in Great Harwood.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 22:59   #633

Was the mill facing the Pickups Arms not Clifton Mill? Where Ossy Mills Conference Centre is now?
Old 31-05-2013, 23:03   #634

People have been enquiring whether the Accrington Town Team is an open forum. Rob Grigorjevs, the Town Centre Manager, said that it included representatives from town centre businesses but that if members of the public had concerns they were better contacting him by phone or e-mail and he would give an individual reply. However, yesterday a local business woman told me she had gone to the recent meeting and - shall we say? - expressed her opinions in a forthright manner!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:33   #635

As promised I'd like to update folk on the discussions I have had with the council on the Town Plan.

Firstly I had an excellent exchange with the guy in charge of the town plan Rob Grigorjevs. Unlike some other council contacts I've had he responded immediately and fully to the questions I posed, and we had a good debate about the town's issues. This is positive because it is important that the town's leaders do all they can to attract investment into the town, and part of that is creating an environment conducive to doing so.

Rob was open about the challenges facing the town given the size of the problem and budgetary constraints that economic realities pose. Half the problem it seems to me is the fact that hard up commercial enterprises in many cases own the historic or important real estate (thinking Arndale, Warner St Arcade, Conservative Club and doubtless many others) but where that is not the case the council is able to make more of a direct impact - such as the Market Hall upgrades, Railway Station/Tesco infrastructure upgrades, St James Churchyard upgrade, Bus station and Blackburn Road improvements.

I know the location of the new Bus Station is a contentious issue, but I leave that aside for the purposes of this post which is about what the council can do and is/has done in relation to the former Accrington Town Centre plan.

No doubt people will want to shoot me down for saying this but I call it as I see it based on my own experiences. I like what I see from Rob so far, and I have an open invitation to meet with him and other council leaders to discuss town improvement. Opportunities for me are not at all out of line with what the council seeks which is private help to improve the town, so I will take up the offers I have to meet with a range of council folk when I'm next in the UK in early August.

I also think it is encouraging that the council's leaders are genuinely interested in feedback on the experiences we have with the many parts of the council. I have many of these both positive and negative and a frank assessment of these will be passed to the councils leaders when I get the chance to meet with them.

Summary (entirely from my perspective which is the only perspective I have) would be so far so good.
Judith Addison likes this.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:05   #636
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
The reason the farmers market is in Great Harwood is because it was started by local business man Nick (might be Neil sorry) Gaskell from Gaskell motors. It was originally on their land but it started to get quite decent so they then had words with the council who supported the move to town gate and who now work on it as a joint initiative.
I already knew how it started but you didn't need to spoil my rant
Old 01-06-2013, 08:49   #637
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I already knew how it started but you didn't need to spoil my rant
Somebody has too, it just happened to be Gayle's turn
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:31   #638
God Member

Update on Arndale shops. Textile Direct eventually closed down a few weeks ago. One that suprised me this morning is the Gold shop next door has also closed, apparently a couple of weeks ago.
Old 04-07-2013, 20:07   #639
Resting in Peace

The Market Hall and Market is getting more footflow... in fact the Market hall is almost full
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 21:21   #640
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
The Market Hall and Market is getting more footflow... in fact the Market hall is almost full
Can yeh explain that please magpie? Almost full of what? There are much less stalls than ever there was, a large space fer people to sit around, were i have seen odd displays put on, a museum of accy (very welcome it is, but still aint stalls) If also its getting more footflow, i am glad, But my question would be,Are the traders noticing n increase?
Old 04-07-2013, 21:44   #641
Super Moderator

The market hall's an empty, echoing shell, a mere shadow of the lively, bustling place it once was. Like the open market, the council decided to meddle with predictably disastrous results.
Old 05-07-2013, 23:23   #642
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
The Market has more occupied stalls on "Tat Days" than on Market days.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:51   #643
Junior Member+

Shopping in Accy is like shopping in a ghost town. Cannot believe what is happening to the Arndale.
Old 06-07-2013, 14:39   #644
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Town Centre Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley face View Post
Shopping in Accy is like shopping in a ghost town. Cannot believe what is happening to the Arndale.
Why not? It's only an upmarket distributer of tat.
We need to be back to basics, all in it together, starting at grass roots, finding the right mix, willing to join in, less selfish and wanting to improve our lot, before anything useful can ever be done.

I'd help but I'm tired from trying to think of all the phrases that supposedly would get us enthused about the situation.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 14:50   #645
Beacon of light

and when all is said and done...there is more said, than done!
Less and BERNADETTE like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..