Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2011, 19:35   #31

Re: Accrington Observer Thanks For Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
They used to publish quality in those days yerself, no payment necessary
Only cause fester, coined it in. I bet he loved weighing in day, he had quite a few
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-08-2011, 09:10   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
Only cause fester, coined it in. I bet he loved weighing in day, he had quite a few
Not to do with him, we had a pact he didn't tell me how to write letters I didn't tell him how to be a councillor, although having though about it maybe he could have used some advice
Old 25-08-2011, 04:13   #33

Just to reply to the post early where someone said that why dont we approach them to do the nightlife section, We have done 5 times via telephone calls and 5 emails non have been answered, even a meeting was set up and was not attended so youve no joy at all their.

Re advertisment everytime we re apply for variations in our license we dont have much option as we have to use the local paper to advertise the variations and last one i did was 2 months ago and cost £180.00 for a colum that was tiny.

Problem is that the papers called Accrington Observer and its owned by the MEN Group yet from an Accrington perspective you get past page 10 it suddenly goes manchesterfied, What was the big publicity shot they did 2 months ago OBSERVER MOVES BACK TO ACCRINGTON, Have you been to the office, no one is ever there its an office with a desk in so reporters can do stories and send.

Ive emailed Gareth Tidman requesting a follow up story on both sides of the coin re the nightlife and requesting where was the story on the railway, weatherspoon and also voodoo that they promised, that was sent Sunday night were now on Thursday no response, its a joke.
Leon Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 05:47   #34
God Member

Leon , quiet words of advice re. nightlife , years ago I used to have a couple of drinking/druggie buddies Steven Rubell and Ian Schrager, and believe me I don't think you or Accrington are in the same league .
(check em out on wikipedia)

Seems to me you should follow the 'Fred Skinner' route another Blackburn (Little Harwood) lad who made good in the Accrington/Hyndburn entertaiment scene without making lots of noise or waves unless you want to be Hyndburn's/Accrington Observer equiv of Margo

Last edited by steeljack; 25-08-2011 at 05:49. Reason: addndum
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 07:24   #35
Give, give, give member

Moan, moan, moan.

(Publicly.)

As posted earlier, good luck.

I fear you'll need it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 11:34   #36
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Kelly View Post

Problem is that the papers called Accrington Observer and its owned by the MEN Group yet from an Accrington perspective you get past page 10 it suddenly goes manchesterfied, What was the big publicity shot they did 2 months ago OBSERVER MOVES BACK TO ACCRINGTON, Have you been to the office, no one is ever there its an office with a desk in so reporters can do stories and send.
Hey, your a 'businessman' & claim to be successful, so you must have spotted the gap in the market, therefore start you own Accrington newspaper.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 11:43   #37
God Member

I remember we used to get quite a few "free" papers delivered for the Hyndburn area -perhaps he could try contacting one of them to get a decent "What'sOn/What'sNew section going...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 11:55   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I remember we used to get quite a few "free" papers delivered for the Hyndburn area -perhaps he could try contacting one of them to get a decent "What'sOn/What'sNew section going...
Theres is a new one being launched in September, Acorn Community News. If anybody wants to contact them it's [email protected]
Old 25-08-2011, 18:06   #39
Resting in Peace

Does anybody still get the Citizen, I haven't seen one for years, ever since the person who delivered it knocked on my door at Christmas and asked for a tip, didn't like it when I informed him that I realised why for the last two weeks one had been pushed through my letterbox instead of an handful just being left on the steps in our block, then told him where to go
Old 25-08-2011, 21:36   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Kelly View Post
Just to reply to the post early where someone said that why dont we approach them to do the nightlife section, We have done 5 times via telephone calls and 5 emails non have been answered, even a meeting was set up and was not attended so youve no joy at all their.

Re advertisment everytime we re apply for variations in our license we dont have much option as we have to use the local paper to advertise the variations and last one i did was 2 months ago and cost £180.00 for a colum that was tiny.

Ive emailed Gareth Tidman requesting a follow up story on both sides of the coin re the nightlife and requesting where was the story on the railway, weatherspoon and also voodoo that they promised, that was sent Sunday night were now on Thursday no response, its a joke.

might have been better if you had waited until you had seen what was in this weeks paper before you had your latest rant - appears the Observer have done lots of free good publicity re nightlife in todays edition
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 09:17   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
might have been better if you had waited until you had seen what was in this weeks paper before you had your latest rant - appears the Observer have done lots of free good publicity re nightlife in todays edition
They've probably been looking at the stick they've got on here since last weeks edition
Old 26-08-2011, 09:33   #42
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
Yes , there's good coverage of the positive side of pubs in Accrington . Then there's always the weekly piece about a pub landlord .

Personally I'm more concerned about the closure of the Empire Bingo Hall , not that I've ever been inside . But it was ideal for ladies , especially for those getting on a bit , to get out in the afternoon or evening , and to feel comfortable in the place , which would not be the case if many a lady on her own was to go into a pub .

The closure is another result of the smoking ban .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 11:32   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post

Personally I'm more concerned about the closure of the Empire Bingo Hall , not that I've ever been inside . But it was ideal for ladies , especially for those getting on a bit , to get out in the afternoon or evening , and to feel comfortable in the place , which would not be the case if many a lady on her own was to go into a pub .

The closure is another result of the smoking ban .
I don't buy the Observer so I haven't read this news yet - it isn't on the website as I write.

I was a regular at this bingo hall for a few years. The smoking ban did have a disastrous effect on business. Bingo halls make the bulk of their profit in the long intervals when plastic boards are in use.

During these intervals the smokers spent time outside smoking instead of inside spending. You would be surprised to know that a large number of 'old biddies' still smoke.

I only went three times after the ban, but my reasons for not going were slightly different, yet still smoking ban related.

After the ban, the true smell of the place surfaced. The cleaning standards of the place had always left much to be desired. Some 'new' seating had been installed in the place, but it was 2nd hand throw out stuff from some other bingo hall that had been refurbished. It wasn't cleaned before it was installed and never saw a vac or a shampoo after.

Some old biddies are incontinent - I learned by experience which seats were OK to sit at, and which had 'smells'.

The smell of smoke masked a lot of the 'unclean' smells unless you were actually sat near them.

When the smoking ban arrived, the mucky smells were very evident as soon as you walked through the door. Rather than go to the expense of shampooing upholstery and carpet tiles, the management installed plug in spray air 'fresheners' in every available power socket, there were more than half a dozen of them and they sprayed every 15 mins.

I have already reported in other threads that these artificial smells produce asthma like symptoms in me.

On the day I last attended I had paid for my tickets, but gave them away and left within 10 minutes of arrival because I was struggling to breathe.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 12:50   #44
God Member

PS I have now found the Observer report of closure of Queens bingo here -
Last orders: The bell tolls for local pubs | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 13:25   #45
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Newspapers do not sell newspapers to make money, they sell advertising space to make money, far more effort goes into selling advertising space than goes into printing news.
Yes the advertising makes the newspaper money but only because of its readers. A paper with more readers or a certain type of reader will appeal more to advertisers so they can charge more for the advert.

Its not the adverts that make readers buy a newspaper its the bit the journalists write. So if the paper did not have the right stories in it no one would buy it and no one would advertise in it.

So which is more important to a newspaper, the news or the adverts?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..