Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2011, 15:01   #391
I am Banned

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

Groove's first local was the Spinning Jenny
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-10-2011, 15:41   #392
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Groove's first local was the Spinning Jenny
Me thinks groove is a bit of a bipstick
Old 15-10-2011, 16:49   #393

One for you Jaysay, who's the oldest serving landlord in the Accy area? For another 10 points, what pubs? Anyone can join inn!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 17:59   #394
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
One for you Jaysay, who's the oldest serving landlord in the Accy area? For another 10 points, what pubs? Anyone can join inn!
Havn't a clue really as i don't get out much, but one of the longest serving must be Dave Johnson at the Peel Park. Previously at Bridge & Grey Horse.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 10:20   #395
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Havn't a clue really as i don't get out much, but one of the longest serving must be Dave Johnson at the Peel Park. Previously at Bridge & Grey Horse.

Best Regards - Taggy
Think you could well be right there Taggy, Dave must have been a landlord for 35 years now, He and Sue took over the Bridge from Sue's mother Ella
Old 17-10-2011, 09:24   #396
Mog

Had my first pint in the catholic club. I think thats what it was called. Upstairs in Warner street Accy. (I think.) Tony Boardman and me.We were only kids about 14, dont know how we got away with it. Used to drink in the Royal and Globe on blackburn road with me dad and also in the Richmond. Bob Burnside Gerrald Moores and me used to drink in the Australian. My mate Gerrald Moores dad was gaffer at the time. Got done in the Bridge when I was 17. £5 for drinking underage. I was the oldest in the pub at the time.
Drunk in most pubs in Accy,Ossy and Blackburn in the 60s. The last pint I had in Accy was in the Black Horse. about 1969. Moved south for work and crap ale.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 09:38   #397
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Had my first pint in the catholic club. I think that's what it was called. Upstairs in Warner street Accy. (I think.) Tony Boardman and me.We were only kids about 14, dont know how we got away with it. Used to drink in the Royal and Globe on blackburn road with me dad and also in the Richmond. Bob Burnside Gerrald Moores and me used to drink in the Australian. My mate Gerrald Moores dad was gaffer at the time. Got done in the Bridge when I was 17. £5 for drinking underage. I was the oldest in the pub at the time.
Drunk in most pubs in Accy,Ossy and Blackburn in the 60s. The last pint I had in Accy was in the Black Horse. about 1969. Moved south for work and crap ale.
Ya I know why one brewery was called Courage, you needed it to drink it
Old 19-10-2011, 09:25   #398
I am Banned

Groove thinks in 10 years the local pub will be a thing of the past and the only establishments to survive will be the town centre chain pubs like Wetherspoons etc...Groove finds this sad
Old 19-10-2011, 09:43   #399
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Groove thinks in 10 years the local pub will be a thing of the past and the only establishments to survive will be the town centre chain pubs like Wetherspoons etc...Groove finds this sad
Everybody thinks grove is sad
Old 19-10-2011, 10:03   #400
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Everybody thinks grove is sad
You can't speak for everybody - who elected you?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 16:13   #401

Did Accy ever have a Yates Wine Lodge? Is the one in Blackburn still open?
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 16:20   #402
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Did Accy ever have a Yates Wine Lodge? Is the one in Blackburn still open?
Nah was never one in Accy, Owd un in Blackburn is long gone, may be a new establishment now have no idea.
Old 20-10-2011, 20:02   #403
God Member

There's a pub down the Rossendale valley - don't ask me exactly where - that sells nowt but soft drinks (Dandelion & Burdock and the like). It's a bit of a tourist attraction but historically it's a throwback to the temperance movement of the late 19C. Funnily enough, the C.I.U. started off in a similer vein. I wonder if there was ever a similar 'pub' around Accy, and if so where?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 08:52   #404
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
There's a pub down the Rossendale valley - don't ask me exactly where - that sells nowt but soft drinks (Dandelion & Burdock and the like). It's a bit of a tourist attraction but historically it's a throwback to the temperance movement of the late 19C. Funnily enough, the C.I.U. started off in a similer vein. I wonder if there was ever a similar 'pub' around Accy, and if so where?
If I remember rightly its in Waterfoot Tealeaf, seem to remember it was more of a shop than a pub, but something tells me they did graduate to a pub, maybe Jen could shed a bit more light on that, as for one in Accy area, the closest that came was when Britcliffe suggest that for, I think, the Printers Arms a few years ago, but it was a none starter
Old 21-10-2011, 18:44   #405
I am Banned

Groove beleives the temperance movement was responsible for dozens of pubs closing on Union.rd more or less overnight. The drink Vimto was also borne out of this temperance movement. There was a Bell's temperance movement in Accy and Groove thinks thats were Belfield.rd got its name, being situated near Bells temperance ground-Stanleys original home.

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..