Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2010, 14:23   #256
Resting in Peace

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Bitter was my first drink too, used to sup it all the time back then, until i woke up one morning with really bad gut pains...was advised by some folders drinkers to switch to mixed or mild, which i did, and was fine thereafter!

I tend to either drink lager these days, or the odd pint of real ale!...But sup more wine at home!

Best Regards - Taggy
Wine at home is the only tipple I have these days too Taggy
Old 21-08-2010, 14:30   #257
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Wine at home is the only tipple I have these days too Taggy
I think i'm turning into Oz Clarke Jaysay!! I do prefer Wine though now!

Dont go out much these days with the Pubs n Clubs so quiet, but am popping down to the Sydney St club tonight, only because theres a decent "turn" on. Otherwise its mainly Holidays with me Lad, or when i go Spain on me tod, that i have a few lagers of an evening!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 14:35   #258
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I think i'm turning into Oz Clarke Jaysay!! I do prefer Wine though now!

Dont go out much these days with the Pubs n Clubs so quiet, but am popping down to the Sydney St club tonight, only because theres a decent "turn" on. Otherwise its mainly Holidays with me Lad, or when i go Spain on me tod, that i have a few lagers of an evening!

Best Regards - Taggy
To be quite honest Taggy, It doesn't bother me about going out or even drinking beer these days, I've had a case of Stella in he cupboard since xmas an have a few cans of Murphy's in the fridge, but i never crosses my mind to open on, its the cork screw for me
Old 21-08-2010, 14:40   #259
Senior Member+

Quote:
To be quite honest Taggy, It doesn't bother me about going out or even drinking beer these days, I've had a case of Stella in he cupboard since xmas an have a few cans of Murphy's in the fridge, but i never crosses my mind to open on, its the cork screw for me
Me too Jaysay...have some San Miguel unopened since Chrimbo too!...Love to experiment trying different wines...especially if there on offer at Asda or Tesco!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 21-08-2010, 14:46   #260
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Me too Jaysay...have some San Miguel unopened since Crimbo too!...Love to experiment trying different wines...especially if there on offer at Asda or Tesco!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Funny enough I've started doing that, for many years I dealt with Laithwaites, and Premier wines of Preston, but you can pick some nice wines up at both ASDA and Tesco, and Joan sometimes gets a few bottles from, I think its Lidel which are quite good too
Old 21-08-2010, 14:54   #261
Senior Member+

Quote:
Funny enough I've started doing that, for many years I dealt with Laithwaites, and Premier wines of Preston, but you can pick some nice wines up at both ASDA and Tesco, and Joan sometimes gets a few bottles from, I think its Lidel which are quite good too
Yep Supermarkets have certainly upped their game with the variety and quality of wines these days, even Sainsburys and Booths have some good offers on at times too! I've not tried lidl yet Jaysay, but sometimes get a few decent bottles from Aldi and even B&M Bargains too at damn good prices!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 21-08-2010, 15:01   #262
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yep Supermarkets have certainly upped their game with the variety and quality of wines these days, even Sainsburys and Booths have some good offers on at times too! I've not tried lidl yet Jaysay, but sometimes get a few decent bottles from Aldi and even B&M Bargains too at damn good prices!

Best Regards - Taggy
It might have been Aldi I was thinking about Taggy, there's so many these days I lose track
Old 21-08-2010, 15:07   #263
Senior Member+

Quote:
It might have been Aldi I was thinking about Taggy, there's so many these days I lose track
Lol!...I never quite remember which is which either!!...The ex used to groan everytime we were either approaching a Wine Shop, Cheese Shop or a Butchers...i cant resist them!! Havn't been to Preston in ages but used to like popping into Oddbins there, great sellection but a bit pricey, and D. Byrne in Clitheroe is Heaven for me...again quite expensive there...ruddy good Cheese Shop and Butchers in Clitheroe too!! Lol!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 21-08-2010, 15:15   #264
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Loli never quite remember which is which either!!...The ex used to groan everytime we were either approaching a Wine Shop, Cheese Shop or a Butchers...i cant resist them!! Havn't been to Preston in ages but used to like popping into Oddbins there, great sellection but a bit pricey, and D. Byrne in Clitheroe is Heaven for me...again quite expensive there...ruddy good Cheese Shop and Butchers in Clitheroe too!! Lol!

Best Regards - Taggy
Know what your saying I used to work down clitheroe way
Old 21-08-2010, 15:52   #265

Quote:
Think I could have been in attendance on that auspicious occasion G
Bet Cecil wsn't there!!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 17:57   #266
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Once saw a Group called The Rockin Vicars playing there....i think they might even have been a resident band there...pretty good too!Was Reverand Black @ Rockin vicars back in the 60s Taggy, played up con a few times, great local (Burnley Way) band, still got 1 of their singles on Decca.

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 22-08-2010, 00:19   #267
Junior Member+

Started very early, about 12 / 13 years old, my parents got the Royal Hotel at Great Harwood!
yachtiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 08:54   #268
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Bet Cecil wsn't there!!!
Not a snowballs chance, the evils of drink merchant
Old 22-08-2010, 08:58   #269
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtiemark View Post
Started very early, about 12 / 13 years old, my parents got the Royal Hotel at Great Harwood!
Always wanted my Mum and Dad to take a pub
Old 28-08-2010, 12:32   #270

Anyone remember what those guys with the white coats used to sell besides seafood (mushrooms, not magic ones????) and do they still sell stuff from a basket in pubs???
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..