Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 09:24   #166
Resting in Peace

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
There were some pubs in Ossy that were notably lax on under-age drinking. We used to frequent the New Inn (landlord Ged), the Bay Horse on Tinker Brow where you could run upstairs if the police came in & one down near St. Paul's school that I've forgotten the name of. To play snooker it was the Straits club in the week or Accy Con on a Saturday.

Favourite tipple - pint of mixed one & sevenpence halfpenny - 1962.
The Bay Horse was my watering hole in the early sixties, Bill was the landlord think is wife was called Edith, The Surf United football team were based there too, had some great times back then
Old 08-06-2010, 19:25   #167

Across from the Bay Horse was Annie's pie shop (later with husband? Jim). We used to go there for dinners (lunches!) in the school holidays. Plate meat pie was the best if there was any left - otherwise I would opt for meat & potato. Annie was like a 2nd mum.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:52   #168
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Across from the Bay Horse was Annie's pie shop (later with husband? Jim). We used to go there for dinners (lunches!) in the school holidays. Plate meat pie was the best if there was any left - otherwise I would opt for meat & potato. Annie was like a 2nd mum.
Jim was a good friend of mine, was a regular in the Stop and Rest on a Friday night in the 60s and 70s and always brought the bakers basket full of pies, I always had a cheese and onion, in later life he lived with his sister Margaret and husband Joe on Rhyddings street, sadly Jim died about 15 years ago, his sister Margaret, only died about 3 weeks ago
Old 09-06-2010, 13:30   #169

my first pint was at the tinker,i for the land lady i think she was called jessy i was going in with my brother.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 14:00   #170
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard View Post
my first pint was at the tinker,i for the land lady i think she was called jessy i was going in with my brother.
would that be the big lass wi the long red hair?
Old 09-06-2010, 15:07   #171
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
would that be the big lass wi the long red hair?
Ya know um all cashy
Old 09-06-2010, 16:06   #172

My first drink was with me dad Ben in the Bay Horse then on to the Tinker. Dad used to say that if you started at the top of Ossy and had half in every pub down to Church you would be staggering on the way back. Was the beer weaker or are we just getting better at it? If I knew how to start a thread would ask how many pubs were there in the 60's. Perhaps someone can help?
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 16:19   #173

Quote:
Loose meat and potato pie was the best. Jimmy Stevies we used to call it. He had a big pot of it stewing on a Saturday morning. Plastic table cloths and the place smelt of real coooking. My mouth is watering as I think.
Old 09-06-2010, 18:15   #174
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikine View Post
My first drink was with me dad Ben in the Bay Horse then on to the Tinker. Dad used to say that if you started at the top of Ossy and had half in every pub down to Church you would be staggering on the way back. Was the beer weaker or are we just getting better at it? If I knew how to start a thread would ask how many pubs were there in the 60's. Perhaps someone can help?
do a search, thread on all pubs on union rd somewhere, was at least double the pubs there is now, the beer sure was no weaker, ya couldn't do a half in em all both ways no chance. i tried one way wi pints in mid 60s, n was rat arsed before the irish league.
Old 09-06-2010, 18:42   #175
God Member

Quote:
do a search, thread on all pubs on union rd somewhere, was at least double the pubs there is now, the beer sure was no weaker, ya couldn't do a half in em all both ways no chance. i tried one way wi pints in mid 60s, n was rat arsed before the irish league.
I think the beer is stronger. Both Thwaites & Lion's bitters were around the 3.6 ABV mark....look at todays bitters..you rarely see Thwaites ordinary, now and as for Lions...R.I.P. You do, however see quite a bit of Bomber and that comes in at 4.4%.

I don't think many people men lager supped lager back in the '60s - it was, and still is a woman's drink - but nevertheless it does average out stronger than bitter. That probably explains why there is such alcohol related violence today - the young lads who sup lager probably get a hormone inbalance resulting in a confused gender crisis causing them to start fights in order to prove their masculinity.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 18:56   #176

Quote:
Dad was right then, as usual! will look for the thread
Old 09-06-2010, 19:01   #177
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I think the beer is stronger. Both Thwaites & Lion's bitters were around the 3.6 ABV mark....look at todays bitters..you rarely see Thwaites ordinary, now and as for Lions...R.I.P. You do, however see quite a bit of Bomber and that comes in at 4.4%.

I don't think many people men lager supped lager back in the '60s - it was, and still is a woman's drink - but nevertheless it does average out stronger than bitter. That probably explains why there is such alcohol related violence today - the young lads who sup lager probably get a hormone inbalance resulting in a confused gender crisis causing them to start fights in order to prove their masculinity.
sorry T, wasn't counting lager as beer.
Old 09-06-2010, 19:13   #178

Quote:

So where do you put the hormone imbalance of female related alcohol violence because they drink bitter?
Old 09-06-2010, 19:26   #179
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikine View Post
So where do you put the hormone imbalance of female related alcohol violence because they drink bitter?
If they're out with me they get half a mild and a bag of cheese and onion with instructions to sit in the corner and keep quiet while I finish my game of darts with t'lads.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 21:30   #180
God Member

Quote:
If they're out with me they get half a mild and a bag of cheese and onion with instructions to sit in the corner and keep quiet while I finish my game of darts with t'lads.
Generous to a fault eh

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..