Thread: Beer & Pop
View Single Post
Old 21-06-2013, 20:41   #68
bekibird

Re: Beer & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
A friend of mine is researching Accrington's breweries and mineral water/herbal drinks producers. He want to be made aware of the well-known breweries such as Bentley's (Milnshaw) and Bank (Burnley Rd) but also some smaller ones in Sydney St ( where the WMC is), Biggins (Green Haworth) and the pop makers - Stocks, Pooles(Clayton), Stanton's ( Ossie), O. Beach ( Paradise St then Ossie), Perry ( Owen St). There may be others I have not mentioned.

He used to be landlord of the Antley Inn. On taking it over, he saw that the cellar was wick with cockroaches. The brewery told him how to cure it - put a couple of frogs down there. It did the trick.
I don't know if this is of any use to you but... my Ancestor James Haworth was listed as a 'Herb Beer Manufacturer' in a probate record I found. He died in June 1896 and lived at "46 Canning Street, Accrington" I am assuming the Canning part is a typo and he perhaps lived on Canon Street. He left behind £459, 18s to his wife and a chap called Edward Hothersall who is described as a foreman fitter.
It would be nice to find out more about him so if he crops up in your research along the way please post about it.
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote