Thread: Death Penalty
View Single Post
Old 30-11-2019, 10:50   #1
Jimmy Clitheroe

Death Penalty

In olden times the cases like those of Timothy Evans were quoted as reasons why we shouldn't have a death penalty and the film with John Hurt seemed quite compelling (though the books were not quite so flattering of Evans) but times have moved on and where there is no doubt I have shifted my stance. Think of all the good that could have been done with the money wasted on keeping Ian Brady and Myra Hindley incarcerated for decades and is being wasted now on Ian Huntley and the murderers of Lee Rigby. There are some people who are just too evil to be a part of our society and can never be 'reformed'. Caging them up is like caging up any mad dog..they will always be a threat to those around them - why waste good money on bad people and put those held responsible for looking after them at constant risk?
I think this 'knee jerk' reaction of mine has come from the London Bridge murderer who some are saying was 'summarily executed' - and had be been taken alive we would have had the indignity of a costly trial where he would have been given life (though would have been more like 20 years). I don't want any of the hard earned tax money spent on people like that. Sorry to be prattling on but do you think we should have a referendum on the death penalty ? It may not deter many of the more evil in our midst but it will protect those who may suffer at their hands in the future.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web