Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree33Likes
  • 5 Post By Jimmy Clitheroe
  • 3 Post By cashman
  • 2 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By cashman
  • 1 Post By cashman
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 4 Post By cashman
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By Jimmy Clitheroe
  • 4 Post By DaveinGermany
  • 3 Post By Jimmy Clitheroe
  • 3 Post By monkey hanger
  • 2 Post By monkey hanger
  • 2 Post By jelly baby

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-11-2019, 10:50   #1

Death Penalty

In olden times the cases like those of Timothy Evans were quoted as reasons why we shouldn't have a death penalty and the film with John Hurt seemed quite compelling (though the books were not quite so flattering of Evans) but times have moved on and where there is no doubt I have shifted my stance. Think of all the good that could have been done with the money wasted on keeping Ian Brady and Myra Hindley incarcerated for decades and is being wasted now on Ian Huntley and the murderers of Lee Rigby. There are some people who are just too evil to be a part of our society and can never be 'reformed'. Caging them up is like caging up any mad dog..they will always be a threat to those around them - why waste good money on bad people and put those held responsible for looking after them at constant risk?
I think this 'knee jerk' reaction of mine has come from the London Bridge murderer who some are saying was 'summarily executed' - and had be been taken alive we would have had the indignity of a costly trial where he would have been given life (though would have been more like 20 years). I don't want any of the hard earned tax money spent on people like that. Sorry to be prattling on but do you think we should have a referendum on the death penalty ? It may not deter many of the more evil in our midst but it will protect those who may suffer at their hands in the future.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-11-2019, 11:28   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Death Penalty

personally i have always thought any terrorist should be hung simple as, sod what the do-gooders say, its much better than playing lottery with innocent lives.
Old 30-11-2019, 13:39   #3
Beacon of light

WARNING...THIS POST IS NOT PC.

The outcome of this incident was exactly right.
The man was dispatched to the hereafter with a lump of hot lead.
It has saved the cost of a trial and the cost of keeping him in jail.
This man was a known terrorist, was on a tag, but still he was free to kill two people and stab three others.

It was our judicial system that let down the public....but what we must remember is that the judiciary have to abide by rules laid down by governments.....so really it is down to governments that have allowed rules to become slack.

When someone is sentenced the papers will trumpet that a sentence of 16 years has been handed down....yet this does not mean the perp will actually serve 16 years....he will only serve 8.
This should not be permitted.
The sentence handed down should be the sentence served.

Terrorists should be transported to some inhospitable island.
They should have only the basic services....maybe then, this would deter people from committing acts of terror....once they are released from prison, they should be deported to the country of their lineage.....no ifs or buts.
If they do not like the freedoms upheld in this country, then they should leave for somewhere that is more to their cultural tastes.
KiTChener and taddy like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 13:53   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Trouble with that Margaret is if they are raised here, then they cannot be deported back they belong here, so that is why i say HANG EM.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 30-11-2019, 14:24   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

also the likes of corbyn are talking about De-Radicalization progs etc, thats how stupid some are, it must surely be the easyest thing to fool and pretend you are changed,?
KiTChener likes this.
Old 30-11-2019, 15:17   #6
Beacon of light

I know that if they are birn here then, as things stand they can't be deported....but that should change.
Back in the day when criminals were convicted we transported them...you cannot expect your human rights to be defended if you are not going to respect the human rights of others.

This country is seen as a soft touch when it comes to dealing with criminals.
Prison is not seen as a deterrent anymore.
In fact I think that prisoners have a better life than some of our old folk.
They don't have any worries about heating bills, council tax...they get three meals a day, a roof over their head...not bad is it?
KiTChener likes this.
Old 30-11-2019, 15:37   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

thing is theres too many snowflakes here now, fact, so there must be as much chance of stringing em up,as there is proper sentences, but even with sentences there is still chance of them coming out and killing other innocent people.in my view.
KiTChener, Gremlin, taddy and 1 others like this.
Old 30-11-2019, 16:32   #8
Beacon of light

Maybe this case will make some difference.
This terrorist wrote a letter begging to be placed on a rehab programme so that he could get out of jail.
By the way it was Ken Clarke and Justice Leveson that changed the setencing rules.

I watched Jeremy Corbyn 'condemnation' of this act and thought it was the weakest statement ever.
He is a supporter of terrorism at heart so any condemnation on his part would be fake and phoney.
The only good terrorist is a dead terrorist.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 30-11-2019, 18:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thing is theres too many snowflakes here now, fact, so there must be as much chance of stringing em up,as there is proper sentences, but even with sentences there is still chance of them coming out and killing other innocent people.in my view.
Even if they're never let out they have nothing to lose and would be a constant threat to the people who have to watch over them. Once you kill or intend to kill then the punishment should fit the crime - a mad dog is never going to be safe however much you try to rehabilitate it. Why waste time money and effort on it.. why not reward those who do good with that money instead ? Grr... am just turning into one of those grumpy old buggers who go more right wing the older they get.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:02   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
so that is why i say HANG EM.

With Cashy all the way on this one.
Old 02-12-2019, 00:13   #11

I believe it cost somewhere in the region of £3 million to keep Ian Brady in prison for decades. In a time when the innocent are suffering for lack of funds surely the time is approaching when we need to spend more on the deserving than the wicked.
I know it is unlikely to happen but first thing a 'free' UK needs to do is tear up the European Charter of Human Rights and rewrite a more sensible UK version which errs towards the innocent, the law-abiding and the victims of crime and establishes punishments suitable for crimes committed.

Last edited by Jimmy Clitheroe; 02-12-2019 at 00:16.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:34   #12
Senior Member+

the mirror has a story on what happened to the co conspirators in the planed London stock exchange attack https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...usman-21003722
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:03   #13
God Member

how can a person who has been convicted of murdering another human being actually still have any human rights left. they have not just killed someone but brought grief and heartache to that persons family and friends that will not go away.
cashman, DaveinGermany and taddy like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:06   #14
God Member

[QUOTE=Jimmy Clitheroe;.. am just turning into one of those grumpy old buggers who go more right wing the older they get.[/QUOTE]

do not think its anything to do with age. its just the stuff whats going on nowadays that winds you and others up which did not happen in the past. we only had that sillly old fool lord longford to worry about when we were younger.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:39   #15

The sentencing structure in this country certainly needs to be overhauled and made to reflect the severity of the crime. In some cases a burglar can get more time than a murderer.
My friends father was given 20 life sentences in 2013 for the rape and torture of her and her younger brother from a very young age into their mid teens.
His release date is 2022!
Nine years for buggering and sodomizing his own children. Ir really does beggar belief.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..