View Single Post
Old 27-03-2006, 10:18   #2
yerself
God Member

Re: Who Was LOBBY LUDD

I did a google and came up with this:

The daily papers at that time were the Daily Mirror and Daily Sketch, as tabloids, amongst the broadsheets we had the Daily Mail with my favourite cartoon strip Teddy Tail. The Daily Mail promoted their paper during the summer months with a stunt involving a character named Lobby Lud. His silhouette would appear in the paper the day prior to his visit.to a seaside town; the idea was that you had to try to spot him. If you thought you had got it right, and with a copy of the Daily Mail under your arm, you had to approach him and issue a challenge, in these exact words. (You are Lobby Lud and I claim the Daily Mail five pound prize.) When you realise one could obtain weeks accommodation I/e Full board for a family of four for 4 pounds. It was worth taking a chance of making a fool of yourself! As you can imagine, many a young man would deliberately try to look conspicuous, by perhaps leaning against a lamppost and hoping a delightful young lady would issue him the challenge. This was a stunt by the paper, which, sad to say, would not be advisable in this day and age.

Full article here:http://www.ean.co.uk/bygones/history...y_lud_1938.htm

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote