Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2006, 09:58   #1

Who Was LOBBY LUDD

Anyone got an answer ?. Are you Lobby Ludd ?.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2006, 10:18   #2
God Member

Re: Who Was LOBBY LUDD

I did a google and came up with this:

The daily papers at that time were the Daily Mirror and Daily Sketch, as tabloids, amongst the broadsheets we had the Daily Mail with my favourite cartoon strip Teddy Tail. The Daily Mail promoted their paper during the summer months with a stunt involving a character named Lobby Lud. His silhouette would appear in the paper the day prior to his visit.to a seaside town; the idea was that you had to try to spot him. If you thought you had got it right, and with a copy of the Daily Mail under your arm, you had to approach him and issue a challenge, in these exact words. (You are Lobby Lud and I claim the Daily Mail five pound prize.) When you realise one could obtain weeks accommodation I/e Full board for a family of four for 4 pounds. It was worth taking a chance of making a fool of yourself! As you can imagine, many a young man would deliberately try to look conspicuous, by perhaps leaning against a lamppost and hoping a delightful young lady would issue him the challenge. This was a stunt by the paper, which, sad to say, would not be advisable in this day and age.

Full article here:http://www.ean.co.uk/bygones/history...y_lud_1938.htm

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 22:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin
Anyone got an answer ?. Are you Lobby Ludd ?.
Lobby Ludd was a newspaper selling gimmick. The Daily Blah would tell punters that Lobby Ludd was today in Xtown and that if you identified him whilst carrying a copy of the Blah you could claim ten bob off him. See Banking on Form by Peter Pook
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 22:59   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips
Lobby Ludd was a newspaper selling gimmick. The Daily Blah would tell punters that Lobby Ludd was today in Xtown and that if you identified him whilst carrying a copy of the Blah you could claim ten bob off him. See Banking on Form by Peter Pook
I remember this tactic, memories of looking for this guy on holiday in Fleetwood, but was it not the Daily Herald then ?? It changed it's name along the lines and can't see that my mum and dad would have bought the Daily Mail as they were strong Labour supporters
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 23:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
I remember this tactic, memories of looking for this guy on holiday in Fleetwood, but was it not the Daily Herald then ?? It changed it's name along the lines and can't see that my mum and dad would have bought the Daily Mail as they were strong Labour supporters
The Mirror had their own version in the 60's/70's. The name Chalky White rings a bell........
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..