Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 00:36   #1
land of hope and glory

get rid of your steam??????????

someone told me about this site and its pretty fascinating always fancied a do on one of the steam trains since i stood on the engine of the flying scotsman when it stopped at accy station a few (goodfew)years ago and for the price its cheaper than taking kids to blackpool and more exciting. http://www.railwayvideo.com/railtours/
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2005, 07:14   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: get rid of your steam??????????

Took the kids on a steam train last summer and they just looked on it as another form of transport. ("Are we nearly there yet?") I love them myself and was far more interested than they were.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 16:08   #3
land of hope and glory

perhaps we could have a accy web meet on one of the trips up to carlisle and a few beers in the historic city, bet it would be a brill day plus nostalgic for some.
Old 03-07-2005, 21:27   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

When I worked in Bury (and lived in West End), in the early 60s, I used to go by train. They were steam trains and I loved them. They were often dirty, always cold in Winter and a bit noisy but there was something about a steam engine that the modern ones just don't have. My grandfather was the Station Master at Church & Oswaldtwistle station in the 1910s and 20s so maybe it's in the blood.

Some years later, after I was married, we lived in Whitby, North Yorks. The Whitby to Pickering railway line had been axed by Beeching but the N Yorks Moors Railway Society decided to open up the old line. My husband joined and used to go with the children, on a Sunday, helping to clear it. The steam trains started to run on it about a year before we left the area.

Last time I travelled by steam train was in the Lake District, on the line to Windermere. I loved every minute of it - though I fell asleep on the way back, just like I always did on the Bury train.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:10   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Smile Re: get rid of your steam??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
someone told me about this site and its pretty fascinating always fancied a do on one of the steam trains since i stood on the engine of the flying scotsman when it stopped at accy station a few (goodfew)years ago and for the price its cheaper than taking kids to blackpool and more exciting. http://www.railwayvideo.com/railtours/
well; we might think its more exiting staggers but doubt very much wether many of todays kids would,i love em.
Old 04-07-2005, 14:40   #6
white rabbits

my husband worked on the steam trains at rosegrove,,he had just passed from being a fireman to a driver when "beeching " got rid of hundreds of railmen .it was last in first out and you couldent be demoted to the rank you were before ,so it was the chop for him ,,,it broke his heart ,,,,i remember him getting £300 ,redundency money,,, that seemed a fortune then,,,,
Old 04-07-2005, 15:49   #7

I have always had a deep affection for British Steam Trains -- I still model an LMS Branch line mostly running Burnley/Rosegrove engines and rolling stock (including, for real nostalgia, Stanier 57ft crimson 3rd class carriages).

I misspent(?) a lot of my youth trainspotting and just observing railway operations --soaking up the atmosphere as it were -- much of it on my way to and from regular and Sunday school (of course, we all walked in those days) at Towneley station which had a level crossing and signal box. I got to know the signal box man very well -- in fact I found out from him that WW2 had been declared on my way home from Sunday school on 3 September 1939.

During the 1930s just about every Lancashire family that could afford it went to Blackpool for holiday during wake's week or August bank holiday. The travel by those marvelous steam trains to get there was itself memorable -- I can still recall the excitement of seeing the engine approaching Burnley Bank Top station (now Burnley Central) and the thrill of arriving at Blackpool Central!

I travelled a lot by train during the war Years -- mostly from Burnley Manchester Road Station or Rosegrove, locally (Accrington, Blackpool, Southport, etc.) and further afield (London, Derby, etc.). After the war a lot of Blackpool excursions especially the Saturday night "Passion Express" from Burnley Bank Top.

Happy Days!

Jamesl
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 17:21   #8
land of hope and glory

heres a nice piccie for old times sake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 182085.jpg (34.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 05-07-2005, 00:13   #9
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
heres a nice piccie for old times sake.
fantastic,,,,,
Old 05-07-2005, 02:04   #10
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
fantastic,,,,,
you dont get many of them steaming there way past cleveleys do you granny claret?
Old 05-07-2005, 07:31   #11

For some reason i always connect steam trains with romance.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 17:21   #12

This should stir the blood of British steam train enthusiasts:

jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:22   #13
land of hope and glory

good piccie but what train is it? its a clan??????????????
Old 08-07-2005, 22:19   #14
Super Moderator

Clan MacKenzie
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 20:15   #15
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
For some reason i always connect steam trains with romance.

Have you ever seen "Brief Encounter", with Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson? A very English love story and with Rachmaninov's 2nd symphony as the theme music.

It just wouldn't have worked with a 2-carriage diesel train.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..