Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2005, 17:21   #31
God Member

Re: get rid of your steam??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
I remember my dad taking me down to stand at the little gate by the side of the"underground" at the bottom of Crossland Street to watch the first diesel train to come through Accy. Must've been the late 50's. It was actually announced in the Observer and a crowd of people had gathered to witness this momentous event (eeh, we knew how to live in them days!).

Can't say I was impressed...
As a child I lived opposite that gate, on Grant Street. I remember sitting on the wall as the steam trains came lumbering through to Accy Station; the whole wall shook as they passed! Funnily enough the drivers never bothered telling us to clear off, even though we shouldn't have been sitting a mere two feet away from certain death.

I also remember carriages of the Royal Train being parked there one afternoon.
Old 18-08-2005, 22:54   #32
Always EVIL within us

Digging into your memories to rememise steam trains I am surprised that no one has mentioned the wonderful smell that eminates from a locomotive.

My village had a quarry which used steam trains to haul chalk to the lime kilns and as I read through this thread, I could actually smell the locomotives chugging away with their tons of chalk.......wonderful!

Just had to edit this as I remembered something as soon as I clicked the "send."

Some weeks back I had a coach load of 5 - 7 year olds on my coach and they were playing a game which entailed making the sound of various forms of transport. When it came to trains, they all made the sound of a steam train - - complete with whistle! I mentioned this to one of the teachers and she was almost speechless as she confessed that she hadn't realised the significance of young children copying a sound that was in the main obsolete for the past 40 years!

Last edited by Busman747; 18-08-2005 at 23:02. Reason: additional text
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 00:29   #33
land of hope and glory

i am not a train spotter but love to see history, you could call me a traditionalist ? i like to see buildings that they cant build today,engines they cant make to last today,culture that was made to last and not just dwell in the background, so many things are going to be lost in the near future we are going to be redundant? (in other words another number).maybe not we are lower than that these days!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 02:00   #34
God Member

Why has no one mentioned the Rawtenstall - Bury Line. Especially as since you can go on steam trains now every sat and sun from Rawtenstall and call off at Ramsbottom or go onto Bury and then come back. And coming up to xmas they normally have santa trains and thomas the tank engine visits pretty regular.

Its all run by volunteers a friend of mine trained as a steam engine driver and has done the run many a time.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 10:40   #35
God Member

I have never heard of nor did I know it existed. Maybe a nice dose of publicity is required and not just for christmas.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 13:49   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh
Why has no one mentioned the Rawtenstall - Bury Line. Especially as since you can go on steam trains now every sat and sun from Rawtenstall and call off at Ramsbottom or go onto Bury and then come back. And coming up to xmas they normally have santa trains and thomas the tank engine visits pretty regular.

Its all run by volunteers a friend of mine trained as a steam engine driver and has done the run many a time.
i never heard of it either agree with spug needs publicising maybe vitty could get his teeth into this?
Old 28-10-2005, 15:48   #37
God Member

For those who don't get out a lot:
http://www.east-lancs-rly.co.uk/index2.php

Also only about 40-50 minutes drive from Accrington. The Keighley and Worth Valley Railway:
http://www.kwvr.co.uk/

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by yerself; 28-10-2005 at 15:51.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2006, 13:25   #38
land of hope and glory

steamer comming through church today more info later..someone wants serving
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steam 008.jpg (188.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 28-01-2006, 19:09   #39
God Member

The route for staggeringman's steamer:
http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t06/t0128a.htm

Next one's due on 4th March.

Old 28-01-2006, 19:58   #40
Super Moderator

A "Black 5" (as we trainspotters used to call them)! Superb! I'll make sure I see the next one!
Old 29-01-2006, 09:34   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
(as we trainspotters used to call them)!
Do you mean as we Anoraks used to call them?

Old 02-03-2006, 18:49   #42
land of hope and glory

Saturday 4th March 2006 - 'The Liverpool - Manchester 175th'
Double-headed from Liverpool Lime Street!
Join us for one of the most spectacular special steam-hauled trains of early 2006, with LMS Black Five No. 45407 and Standard Class 4 No. 76079. Start Liverpool Lime St (08.40), over Chat Moss to Manchester Vic, Miles Platting Bank and then to Stalybridge. Through Diggle tunnel to Huddersfield, Hebden Bridge and over Copy Pit to Blackburn, then over Sough and through Darwen to Manchester. Finish Liverpool Lime St. A fantastic tour to commemorate the anniversary of this pioneering railway, with two highly appropriate locomotives.
Call us on 0870 747 2983 for last minute bookings just thought i would let you all know this is comming through accy and church, this saturday if you want to get your cameras out!
Old 02-03-2006, 19:06   #43
land of hope and glory

sorry approximate time at accrington is 12.46.............through church and it will stop at blackburn before heading off to manchester!
Old 28-03-2006, 22:40   #44
God Member

April 1st 2nd Steam Event
April 9th Vintage Motor Bike Rally Heywood Station.
For info e-mail [email protected].
April 29th 30th May 1st Day out with Thomas
May27th 28th 29th War Weekend - Click here for details
June 17th Macmillan Cancer Relief “Race the Train”
June 18th Morris Minor Day Heywood Station
June 24th 25th Steam Event
July 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th Diesel Event
July 23rd Rover Car Rally Bury Station
August 4th 5th 6th Day out with Thomas
August 28th Teddy Bear’s Picnic Nuttall Park Ramsbottom
September 1st 2nd 3rd Diesel Event
September 9th 10th LMS Theme Days All Steam
September 10th Vintage Vehicle Day Bury Station
Click here for a vehicle booking form
September 24th Rossendale Valley Motorbike Show Rawtenstall
October 7th 8th Day out with Thomas
October 28th 29th Steam Event
November 11th English Electric Theme Day All Diesel
Diesel and Steam DayNovember 12th Diesel and Steam Day
December 2nd 3rd 9th 10th
16th 17th 22nd 23rd 24th Santa Specials
Advanced Bookings Required
See leaflet available from August
or check the website for details.

For further details contact East Lancashire Railway, Bolton St Station, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 0EY
or phone 0161- 764 7790 Between 10.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m

That's whats on at the east lancs railway this weekend. By the way the railway station is just across the road from asda.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..