Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 22:26   #1
Resting in Peace

Sunny Holidays

Aren't we lucky that most of us can afford to go abroad for holidays? Catch the sun in winter and a week here in the sun, a week there.
I have happy memories of the town closing mid-July and the station platform being crowded with an abundance of the population of Accrington excitingly awaiting the train heading to the West coast ... all classes sharing the camaraderie.
My destination was always Fleetwood, staying in someone's spare bedroom, my mum going to the market to buy the food to cook for tea.
Can't really remember the bad weather, except one particular occasion, when I had gone in the sea and the wind and rain demanded to appear. The sand, which is very fine at Fleetwood ,was beating against my legs and my Dad coming to help me back to the chalet we always hired on the beach.

My friend, who now has retired to Spain, used to go to places like Torquay in their Austin A7 and I thought that was very grand.

How times change, *****s me off when people grumble about their holidays abroad, know what I mean ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-12-2005, 08:28   #2
mez
God Member

Re: Sunny Holidays

yes i do katex....ours used to be in a caravan at heysham in good old morcambe, but will admit to enjoying them as we got older it got to a boarding house. good old days.he he he
Old 08-12-2005, 18:15   #3

Any holiday, anywhere would be grand. More than happy with my own country, plenty of places yet to visit.
Old 08-12-2005, 18:50   #4
Resting in Peace

Oh do so agree with you Sarah, having travelled extensively around the UK in the last 32 years, our country is sooo beautiful .. Scotland to die for and Northumbria (little known) wonderful. Could go on and on. Even lack of the sun doesn't worry me. Just the difference now, and how lots of people don't appreciate the fact that they have the funds to have holidays abroad, but like that with lots of things I suppose.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 21:17   #5
God Member

I would love to visit Loch Lomond, my Nan and Grandad used to take caravan holidays there when I was little ..... I took my first baby steps at the side of that Loch
Old 08-12-2005, 23:06   #6
white rabbits

i would like to be anywhere that isnt so cold....brrr
Old 09-12-2005, 03:41   #7

Athough I have vacationed in most of the great holiday destinations of the world during my lifetime, it is the holidays of my childhood that are fondest in my memory -- and that means: Blackpool!

Blackpool 1934 - with my mother and father

During the Depression years of the 1930s just about every Lancashire family that could afford it went to Blackpool for holiday during wake's week or August bank holiday. The travel by those marvelous steam trains to get there was itself memorable -- I can still recall the excitement of seeing the engine approaching Burnley Bank Top station and the thrill of arriving at Blackpool Central!

Blackpool continued to be the favored holiday vacation destination for Lancashire families throughout the war years. Travel was difficult and we were encouraged to stay at home for the Holidays -- or to go to close-by destinations -- Blackpool was certainly that. I have fond memories of many war-time Blackpool holidays and adventures.

Last edited by jamesicus; 09-12-2005 at 03:44.
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:24   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Talking Re: Sunny Holidays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
I would love to visit Loch Lomond, my Nan and Grandad used to take caravan holidays there when I was little ..... I took my first baby steps at the side of that Loch
do you not mean loch ness tinks?
Old 04-01-2006, 10:32   #9
Resting in peace

Does anyone remember the excitement of trying to be the first one to see the Tower? and the way it changed sides as the train drew on? Although the weather in Blackpool and Lytham was often not great, we didn't seem to feel the cold. And the way everyone sat on the beach dressed as if for a tea party?

I know we now can have fabulous holidays in faraway places, but are we really any happier with them than those much anticipated weeks at Blackpool?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:57   #10
God Member

You could probably have a better holiday in the Blackpool of old compared to to abroad; but Blackpool is a sh!t hole at the mo.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 14:15   #11
Beacon of light

My mum used to buy 'Runabout tickets' they were 21 shillings for an adult and 10 shillings for children......we used to go all over on the trains using these tickets......though my Mum must have been knackered at the end of a week.....she had 4 of us to get ready each morning and would make up packed lunches to cut down on costs.......and we would often be down at the station for 8 am.

I remember one time when we were coming back from somewhere...can't just remember where now, except it was seaside......and we got on the wrong train and ended up in Carlisle. The station master there was very good to my Mum and gave us tea and biscuits in his office while we waited for a mail train to Preston......we were very late home that night......Dad wondered what had happened to us. We though it was a wonderful adventure.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 14:46   #12
Senior Member+

well im going to jamaica in april and i cant flipin wait......hmmmmmmmmmmmm red stripe lager brewed in jamaica and supped in jamaica instead of gt harwood ...

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 18:46   #13
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

We always went to Skegness when we were kids. I don't remember the weather being bad on our holidays, but I suppose that you don't notice the weather much when you're little. My mum used to take us for day trips to Blackpool on the train. Dad used to go spare at the money she spent as we always ended up on the pleasure beach. Whenever my dad took us we had to spend the day on the beach and never got anywhere near the fairground. Naturally, we preferred going with mum..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 19:12   #14
white rabbits

oh the wonderful memories of most of these posts....SIGH
Old 04-01-2006, 19:15   #15
Beacon of light

We never went to Blackpool......and I think it was because of the Pleasure Beach......our horde would have bankrupted Mum and Dad.
We used to go to St Annes and we would each be given sixpence in pennies to go on the promenade and play the penny machines. Sometimes that sixpence would last ages......and sometimes it would be gone in a flash.
What I DO remember is that if any of us had any brilliant wins we would share our winnings......was that good ? or was that good?
Once we had exhausted our sixpence we would go and do some cockleing......I would dig the blighters up but couldn't bear to eat them. Though I can't say I don't like them because I was never brave enough to try them.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..